Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Was going through the bin the other night and dusted off Blood Sugar Sex Magic by RHCP. What a tour de force.

Not a fan of anything afterwards, but this album is disgusting in all the right ways.

I like Californication and One Hot Minute a lot too. Also love "Soul to Squeeze" off the Coneheads soundtrack.

TBH, I don't like Rick Rubin as a producer at all. BSSM is great musically, but it sounds really thin and tinny to my ear. Favorite song on there is "Breaking the Girl."

I like Californication and One Hot Minute a lot too. Also love "Soul to Squeeze" off the Coneheads soundtrack.

TBH, I don't like Rick Rubin as a producer at all. BSSM is great musically, but it sounds really thin and tinny to my ear. Favorite song on there is "Breaking the Girl."

Notwithstanding clause for the 80s Run DMC records

His production discography is insane. I do enjoy that he stresses simplicity and live performance.

Mike Patton is my hero. Possibly the most technically talented, versatile, prolific rock singer ever. Really looking forward to this album.

As a closet Italian and fellow Patton aficionado, I would suggest listening to Mondo Cane if you haven't already. Don't understand a word of what he is singing, but I - and Italians - sense he is doing this shit right. One of those rare occasions when emotional understanding is totally exclusive of linguistic understanding.

Yeah, I have. There are great live videos of him doing the whole album. He's also lived in Italy for years, so his Italian is strong (at least as far as I can tell using my knowledge of Spanish). And obviously his technical skill is beyond question.

Was actually in Tuscany for a few weeks recently, and Italians I spoke with actually have heard of and liked his work. Think what it would take for a foreigner to come to the US and become respected/known for covering Sinatra standards in this day. Even given the parochialism and historicism typical of Italians, the analog is almost inconceivable.

It probably helps that he was married to an Italian for seven years and went out of his way to learn the language and embrace the culture. I don't know how similar Italy is to Latin American countries, but when I was living in Costa Rica people were thrilled to meet an American that cared about assimilating. Same reactions from Nicaraguans and Colombians.

^^ From what I have been told by Italians and US friends who have lived there, this isn't so much the case. Italians tend to be VERY regional, and really don't care for anyone (or much of anything - wine, food, etc.) outside their neighborhood/town/region. Not wild about foreigners of any type. Stems from being at war with each other and being carved up by the rest of Europe for the better part of 1,500 years. I'd guess it is one of the tougher places to to truly assimilate.

As an aside, for one week in Costa Rica - where do I go?

bandana - freddie gibbs

super produced, super rap album. if you like run the jewels you can ride with this.

On a '90s kick. In Utero is such a better album than Nevermind. Steve Albini was much more suited to producing a Nirvana record than Butch Vig. Vig stripped all the punk out of them and made them lifeless.

I particularly like some of the deep cuts from In Utero like this one.

I also recently discovered an affection for this song. The rhythm in the verses is so catchy.

On a '90s kick. In Utero is such a better album than Nevermind. Steve Albini was much more suited to producing a Nirvana record than Butch Vig. Vig stripped all the punk out of them and made them lifeless.

I particularly like some of the deep cuts from In Utero like this one.

I've been wanting to respond to this post and haven't had time to get my thoughts together sufficiently until now. I have very strong opinions about Nirvana and "grunge" in general which may not jibe with conventional thought.
But first, man, I never understood the Nevermind backlash. That album is incredible, and has a life of it's own. I saw Nirvana at William and Mary Hall, and listened to people smugly proclaim "Bleach was where it's at" after the show, and I'm calling bullshit on all of it. No one bought Bleach and no one would have if Nevermind wasn't such an enormous monster of an album. And without Nevermind, no one would have ever bought or listened to In Utero. I'm not saying Bleach and In Utero are not worthy of a listen. They each have some great songs and a certain sound that Nevermind definitely departed from. But Nevermind gave Nirvana an enormous audience, radio and video exposure on a global scale, and it introduced millions and millions of people to their other material.

And yes, Nevermind is way slicker than anything else Nirvana made, which you can certainly "blame" on Vig. However, it's certainly not thin. Vig produced the 2 biggest records of the "grunge" era, and they sound so completely different it's hard for me to understand why you'd be down on him.

Producing Siamese Dream would have been pretty damn difficult, considering Billy Corgan and the dozens of guitar tracks that were being laid down on each song. But that album, and Nevermind, are both masterpieces for the Pumpkins and for Nirvana and the rest of their albums don't match up in terms of the overall caliber of songs.

In my opinion, Vig produced the 2 most important rock albums of the era, and probably 2 of the top 100 albums of all time. In addition, he produced great albums from Sonic Youth, Garbage AND one of my 90''s guilty pleasures, the band Gumball.

You leave Butch Vig alone

I mean, look. Clearly people liked Nevermind. But that doesn't make it not limp and sterile. Most musicians I know agree with me on this.

Also, saying that he ruined Nevermind has nothing to do with Siamese Dream. Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins were totally different bands, like you said. Butch Vig's approach was also different for Siamese Dream. That album sound amazing. I can believe that and still believe Nevermind is crap and that Vig was the wrong guy for it. I like a lot of the songwriting on Nevermind, of course, but man, the production kill it for me.

This isn't some posture. I listen to In Utero, Bleach, and Incesticide all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom