Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Justin Robinson

It's coaching malpractice that this guy sat unused on the bench for four years.
If he had gone somewhere like Syracuse or UVA, he'd be a legend and we'd be bitching about how Duke just never seems to find overlooked stretch bigs like him.
There's the answer, I guess - K is overlooking them when they're sitting on his own bench for almost half a fucking decade.

To this point, the only player in the history of advanced metrics with a higher single season BPM is Zion Williamson.

This guy gave us 15 minutes of elite rim protection and floor stretching. Added a Mutombo finger wag to it.

Play the man, K.

Yeah I'm not usually one to say "K is letting [transfer] rot on the bench!" but this looks pretty egregious; he can just do things that Javin can't even dream of. I mean I get he's raw but it's starting to look pretty bad he wasn't even part of the real rotation his senior year, and perhaps not starting. It really feels like we have a freshman/sophomore having a breakout moment... except we're discovering he's a senior with one home game left.

Like, you couldn't even put him out there for 8-10 minutes a game, seriously? Meanwhile Jack White got to lumber out there a better part of the last two years.

At most other D1 programs he's probably a legit 20 minute rotational guy, or at least a starter by now. And would certainly be performing better than Javin and White.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not usually one to say "K is letting [transfer] rot on the bench!" but this looks pretty egregious; he can just do things that Javin can't even dream of. I mean I get he's raw but it's starting to look pretty bad he wasn't even part of the real rotation his senior year, and perhaps not starting. It really feels like we have a freshman/sophomore having a breakout moment... except we're discovering he's a senior with one home game left.

Like, you couldn't even put him out there for 8-10 minutes a game, seriously?

The block he had last night was legitimately good. Like, it wasn't a pity block on a walk-on or anything. It was a legitimately good play on a good player. They were carving us up and Robinson said he wasn't having any of it.

15 minutes against Wake Forest: 6 points, 2 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 1 assist, +13.8
14 minutes against NC State: 10 points, 6 boards, 1 block, 1 assist, +28.9

Robinson season block %: 15
DeLaurier season block %: 6

Robinson season TOV %: 7.7
DeLaurier season TOV %: 20.3

Robinson career 3-pt shooting: 15/41- 36.6%
DeLaurier career 3-pt shooting: 2/16- 12.5%

This appears to be a monumental upgrade if K sticks with him. Amazing. Potentially turns this team that I thought was dead into a legitimate contender??

I think there is some overreaction going on with a very small sample, but there aren’t many options left to try. Full time zone with Carey, Robinson, Stanley, Goldwire, Jones is very intriguing, with stagger minutes going to whichever white guy is making 3s in any given game.

That would put 4 halfway decent shooters on the court around Carey for the entire game, which for Duke basketball is a depressing standard to be satisfied with, but is all we can hope for this season. 35% 3pt gets you well into the top 100 this season.

On defense, two really aggressive defenders who are great at generating steals from jumping passing lanes would be at the top of the zone, with good length/athleticism to chase in the corners, and a huge presence in the middle. The whites would be far less of a liability in the zone than in Duke’s suicidal man to man.

Robinson being good is kinda the key to all of this, as there sadly aren’t enough decent, reliable options to complete a basic 6-7 man rotation without him.

Never forget that Goldwire was the miracle who put Duke in a position to just need one more miracle to possibly contend again. We need at least two miracle development stories this season, and I guess Robinson could be the 2nd.

If/when Robinson proves with more opportunities that he is another PJ Tucker—a perfect role player for a modern offense and defense, shooting 45% from the corners and always outfighting more talented players for rebounds—that will be the moment I go from half-facetious hatred of Duke coaching to actual dismay.

Can you K haters finally give the man some credit for Justin Robinson’s development? K saw his team desperately needed a spark and was able to flip the switch on Robinson at the very end of his career, when no one thought it was possible, and turn him into a monster. What a coaching job.

It is irritating that he didn't play more the past few years but he is giving us a big lift at the right time. And senior leadership. So happy for the kid.

Can you K haters finally give the man some credit for Justin Robinson’s development? K saw his team desperately needed a spark and was able to flip the switch on Robinson at the very end of his career, when no one thought it was possible, and turn him into a monster. What a coaching job.

It's criminal that Coach K's name isn't being discussed for COY for the fantastic job he's done coaching this young man up in the last couple of months. Too bad the anti-Duke bias of sports MSM keeps this from being talked about in the media.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom