Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Henry Coleman

the transferring around the nation is just absurd. Most of these guys will not play in the NBA. You likely have a better chance staying at Duke for 4 years and turning into a role NBA player even if it means not having a big scoring role for 2 years or even ever than if you would transferring out to just immediately grab a bigger role.

Im not defending Dukes player development here, but Lance Thomas, Amile Jefferson, the Plumlee brothers, Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry and Quinn Cook are all examples of guys who stuck around and eventually made it to the NBA. The chances are extremely low of making the NBA anyway and I seriously doubt you are going to have better chances of making it by simply leaving Duke. In some cases, maybe yes, but overall I doubt it.

like Goldwire- what the fuck? He plays like 25mpg and was a 3-star recruit and decides to skip out on being the senior leader on a top 5 team surrounded by all NBA talent to play for a first year coach at Oklahoma? Give me a fucking break with these decisions

I do pray for a tell-all book on the late stage K years in 10-20 years, once he is gone.

I think that Duke fans are as guilty as anti-Duke fans of sensationalizing over Duke and Coach K, just in a different way. The last 10 years haven’t been as steep of a decline as so many people claim it to be. I would love a true, neutral behind the scenes look at Duke but I don’t think it would be some shocking expose.

You guys who keep saying you will stop following the program, I sympathize with the sentiment but where are you going to go? This is just going to become the new normal. It's about getting the right transfers now, sadly. Every single year. Think it was Baylor and the Zags had 4-5 transfers on their roster each. It's suicide long term for the sport coupled with the vacuum effect from the G-league select, but there's no going back

I'll just follow Duke and CBB as a whole less and less, I imagine. I mean, I already watch way fewer non-Duke games than I did 10 or even 5 years ago. CBB used to be a magical experience for me and it simply hasn't been for a while, save for getting to watch Zion dominate.

You guys who keep saying you will stop following the program, I sympathize with the sentiment but where are you going to go? This is just going to become the new normal. It's about getting the right transfers now, sadly. Every single year. Think it was Baylor and the Zags had 4-5 transfers on their roster each. It's suicide long term for the sport coupled with the vacuum effect from the G-league select, but there's no going back
The NBA. It’s just much less emotional investment which is a healthy thing anyway. It’s a bummer but that’s what everything has evolved into. This is the first year I didn’t care to watch the UNC games and really didn’t watch the bulk of the season. The tourney is fun but that’s more of a casual/betting fan than one with any particular allegiance

Exactly, the NBA. I already don't watch any non-Duke college games because the sport is awful. Replacing 30 Duke games with two hours of jerking off or watching the NBA will only be good for me in the long run.

A lot of my NBA viewership is driven by watching a select few like LeBron, Kyrie, Tatum, Zion, etc. I would be hard pressed to watch anything but the Finals/conference championships with no Duke connection. I don't think the NBA itself can replace CBB, at least not to me.

I think the key is getting the right transfers and mixing them with multi-year guys. That's the formula Baylor used. Vital and Teague were great upperclassmen, and their transfers were guys who stuck around a couple of years.

The issue with what we're doing is that we're getting a ton of OADs but struggling to develop anyone for multiple years, and we aren't getting a ton of meaningful transfers. Even if John is great, he's still only here for one year. That is not a recipe for success in this new era.

If you want transfers to replace OADs as a recruiting source i'm on board, but that won't stop those guys like Coleman from bolting if they're not getting starters minutes year 2

A lot of my NBA viewership is driven by watching a select few like LeBron, Kyrie, Tatum, Zion, etc. I would be hard pressed to watch anything but the Finals/conference championships with no Duke connection. I don't think the NBA itself can replace CBB, at least not to me.
I can still root for Duke players in the NBA without actually watching the team. I'm practically there now.

But if we're bad, it will be moot anyway, since top NBA talent probably won't be committing to bad Duke teams.

I mean, it seems pretty clear that it's not smart to recruit top 20-50 guys if we're not going to even really give them a chance at the core rotation until they're upperclassmen. I don't blame Coleman at all. It does seem like we should only be recruiting Bancheros and Blakeses at this point though, and not the in between. Need two distinct tiers of player - long-term and first-year high-end starters.

The Duke players in the NBA we'll have to root for might be the equivalent of Amile on a 10-day contract.

It's easy to say that now, but it's only a matter of time until any future starter or star of note, with rare exception, is either coming from overseas or going straight to G-league select, so Duke -- and any other one school individually -- will rarely ever produce more than a career backup.

Then who are you cheering for?

I mean, it seems pretty clear that it's not smart to recruit top 20-50 guys if we're not going to even really give them a chance at the core rotation until they're upperclassmen. I don't blame Coleman at all. It does seem like we should only be recruiting Bancheros and Blakeses at this point though, and not the in between. Need two distinct tiers of player - long-term and first-year high-end starters.
Our first question to any non top 15 recruit should be: Do you care if you ever play in games?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom