College Basketball 2021-2022

Yes, Duke should be able to game this to get some collective arrangements that they split equally among the players, so someone like Jaylen Blakes would be like the Marlins benefiting from revenue sharing with the Yankees. Ideally, Duke would make it so any player leaving the program would be leaving around $50k a year on the table, while 95% of the programs get their players 1/10th of that or less.

Duke will start maxing out their scholarship on OADs and upperclass 4-stars, with non-OAD recruits being loaned out to lesser programs until they're ready to contribute, a la Premier League. The occasional "our guy" post will be enough to make this a more profitable route than playing for Clemson or Wake.

Even though I believe Duke is in a fantastic position to excel at this, it's going to be so weird to watch it play out across college sports. Some schools aren't going to be able to compete. Recruiting at most mid- and lower-tier programs is going to suffer enormously. There will be a small handful of elite sports marketing schools and everybody else will be looking up at them.

It was either that or an eventual breakaway league of the elites anyways, there’s just too much $$$ in this “amateur” industry for it to have gone in any other direction

I dont have a conception of exactly how much a typical D-1 power conference starter would pull in but I wonder if the DJ Steward's of the world, fighting to get into the late second round but quite likely to go undrafted (or Boldened?) are gonna start to be more likely to come back to school versus starting their pro careers. A lot of those guys on the fringe of the second round are likely to be star players in college that presumably have the ability to make some decent money while living and eating for free in a place where they are beloved.

Yes, the next big legal/moral question will be whether it’s fair to force college football and basketball players to leave after four years. These will be prime earning years for some.

Duke at Syracuse, 2041. Coach Scheyer brings the young Blue Devils up to Syracuse as 73,000 Central New Yorkers pack the Carrier Dome to set a new attendance record and watch 98 year old Jim Boeheim and his two 40-year old star player sons take on Duke.

Also looking forward to a mountain of tax enforcement cases against teenagers who (a) don’t know how taxes work, (b) don’t realize their income is taxable, (c) think they are exempt for some reason, (d) make enough $$$ to buy nice clothes but not to pay for a CPA, (e) have no idea how to keep track of money, or (f) all of the above.

I dont have a conception of exactly how much a typical D-1 power conference starter would pull in but I wonder if the DJ Steward's of the world, fighting to get into the late second round but quite likely to go undrafted (or Boldened?) are gonna start to be more likely to come back to school versus starting their pro careers. A lot of those guys on the fringe of the second round are likely to be star players in college that presumably have the ability to make some decent money while living and eating for free in a place where they are beloved.

It will all come down to whether they listen to reasonable people with actual facts or delusional family and friends, but this makes it so much easier on the reasonable people.

Reactions: rome8180
I think an easy way for Duke to get the players paid a lot would be Top Shots-like NFTs, just for Duke moments. They could start this now, with practice highlights, or even a clip of Paolo eating lunch. Limit the global supply to 100 of each, and they’d probably go for, what, at least $1,000 on average? A Paolo dunk over Chet, with a supply of 100, probably goes for $100,000.

That should get each player about $50,000 with revenue sharing, just for the first batch, after Duke takes a big cut to pay for the expenses. The key is being first. I hope Duke has already hired some blockchain/NFT consultants.
The entire consumer base would be on this message board.

Reactions: Pantone287

It will all come down to whether they listen to reasonable people with actual facts or delusional family and friends, but this makes it so much easier on the reasonable people.
Yeah, I think this will help us in three ways:

1) It will increase our already built-in recruiting advantage. No program can offer more national recognition and therefore more NIL opportunities.

2) It will prevent transfer from Duke while not preventing transfers to Duke. Anyone transferring from Duke is probably doing it because they're not playing enough. That means going to a worse program and fewer NIL opportunities. But anyone transferring to Duke will stand to make more money than they have been.

3) It will discourage early departures. A marginal prospect like Steward will make more in NIL revenue than he would in the G League.

Last edited:
I definitely think this benefits UNC and UK as well. But I don't feel like they've been stopping us from getting and retaining elite talent anyway. The things we had to worry about going forward were the NBA draft, transfers, and these new paid leagues. This solves those problems to an extent.

UK's recruiting is already great, but maybe they'll retain more players they were losing to transfers and the draft. And even if UNC's recruiting improves, its brand should still be down relative to ours. I care more about them than UK anyway.

Also, like you mentioned, I suspect the real money will be with national companies rather than Randy's Pizza. I think this will mostly help UNC and UK relative to smaller schools, not relative to us.

There will literally be bidding wars for players, some surreal auction shit with rich alums waving their wallets at each other. The movie 10 years later will be amazing.

Reactions: rome8180
The only thing that concerns me- are there more local booster/business opportunities at a big state program like Kentucky or UNC or do we not care because of teh national footprint of Duke?
This is my worry. You start getting the richest ‘local’ boosters involved and freaking Arkansas will get all the top recruits with Walmart commercials.

Are shoe deals allowed? Oregon could see a big bump if Nike can get involved.

On the other hand, if you can get a recording of the next LeBron or Jordan endorsing your company or product for $50k or less, you got a bargain.

Yeah, I think Walmart is still more likely to pay for the endorsement of a Duke player. They want endorsements with national scope. I mean, what does the endorsement of an Arkansas player get them? More locals going to Walmart?

ETA: phrased that backwards originally. It's the endorsement OF a Duke player. Not Walmart endorsing a Duke player.

Last edited:
Reactions: DurhamSon

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil