Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

COVID-19

And then there’s this

This is of course the right time for these countries to rip off the band aid.

That's still pretty low: 14/100,000 cases. 78% fully vaccinated, 49% with a booster in NZ. The US is 65% and 29% with booster. Vax, masks, washing hands, distancing should be enough to open and protect earning a living and ride the wave. Omicron spikes fast and comes down fast.

Ya it’s going up in Europe already and they are always a few weeks ahead of us. They scrapped all protections though, so unclear if it’s just that and a temporary bump up before going back down or something else.

Ya it’s going up in Europe already and they are always a few weeks ahead of us. They scrapped all protections though, so unclear if it’s just that and a temporary bump up before going back down or something else.
Yeah, I mean, I'm in one of the most liberal cities in America and people are cramming themselves into places the size of closets now unmasked. Why wouldn't cases go up? Doesn't mean the risk is suddenly higher unless there's a new strain. But this disease has followed the overall trajectory of most viruses -- towards more contagious and less lethal.

Basically, all the people who have been hyper careful for the last two years are probably getting it now.

The more that comes out, the more I lean towards covid originating with a lab leak than any other alternative. This Peter Daszak guy comes off sus as hell in this.

Know a shitload of people who have tested positive this month, I think they are just worn out talking about it. Maybe the strains are that much milder.

Reactions: aiw
Know a shitload of people who have tested positive this month, I think they are just worn out talking about it. Maybe the strains are that much milder.
Same. More people at my work have tested positive in the last two weeks than did in the previous year.

this subvariant is also super contagious + folks tired of masking as much, even in the Bay Area where everybody had been very conservative

Same. More people at my work have tested positive in the last two weeks than did in the previous year.

I'm at the tail end (hopefully) of my COVID experience. Went through the whole house.

I'm on Day 5. Also hopefully tail end.

So far, maybe kids and wife have been spared since they had omicron in January. But my mother-in-law in NC and my brother-in-law and his wife in Boston have all had it this week too.

Likely had it as well. Cold/flu for 3-5 days (didn't bother to test because I get cold/flu constantly these days), then constant burning/smoky smell for 2-3 days (tested negative during this period). Household member tested positive at some point in there. Apparently fire/smoke is one of the more pleasant smells to have to deal with, as sewage, gasoline and rotten food are more common.

Have to assume the current subvariant cases are being drastically underreported due to at-home testing and apathy toward testing in general. I'd guess 75%+ of Americans will have had COVID by the end of the current wave. Not seeing a huge spike in hospitalizations and deaths (yet) is a good sign. Common sense says we're at a point with the variants where they're extremely transmissive but extremely mild.

The testing situation is so bad for infection control.

The at-home tests are all measuring antigens, which, apparently, show up a few days after symptoms if you're vaccinated. The PCR tests can still detect pretty early, but timing on those seems to vary. My wife's sister got her PCR results in NC back in 5 hours; here in Georgia it took me over 50.

I didn't think I'd had it, but I'd never heard about the smoke-smell thing (I had at least a few weeks in March when I was sure I smelled something burning), so maybe I did get it. If so, I won the symptoms lottery since I haven't felt remotely sick in over two years.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom