Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2023-2024

What is this UNC team's destiny?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting paragraph from the Marks piece of UNC's failure of a season today:

Those veiled shots were evidence of chemistry issues below the surface. One such example: Four of UNC’s starters — everyone but R.J. Davis — were nominated for individual preseason honors, including Love being named to the watch list for the Bob Cousy Award, given annually to the nation’s top point guard. When Davis — whose shift to point guard in the postseason coincided with UNC’s success — wasn’t included, North Carolina was told he would instead be on the watch list for the Jerry West Award, given to the nation’s top shooting guard, because the committee was opposed to listing two players from one school. At that point, R.J. Davis, according to multiple sources, preferred to be taken off the Jerry West Award list — which he was — due to a combination of feeling slighted and wanting to be honored as a point guard only (given that, at 6 feet tall, that’s the position he would play professionally).

Seems like Hubie/UNC is really pot committed to the idea of playing 5'11 RJ Davis at full time point, then? I assumed they would find a portal PG or turn to Trimble given his glaring weaknesses as a playmaker.

Last edited:
Rabbit hole of old Duke/UNC vids have reminded me next year's game will be the next leap year game in Chapel Hill, which a) Duke always wins this century, and b) Often has very weird and memorable endings

2000: Duke wins 90-86 (OT) - WTF happened here, why did a highly ranked Duke team get taken to the limits against an unranked UNC team? Also blew a 19 point lead

2004: Duke wins 83-81 - Duhon coast to coast!

2008: Duke wins 89-78 - The Paulus game. With no Lawson, only reason we didn't lose seven in a row in the rivalry

2012: Duke wins 85-84 - The first in a series of absolute thefts. Rivers shot caps off a game we had no business winning

2016: Duke wins 74-73 - Thornton blocks Berry and we secure absolute theft 2.0 against a team much better than us

2020: Duke wins 98-96 (OT) - How did we end up in a position where the worst UNC team in 20 years took us to the brink? But hey, the best FT miss ever by Tre, followed by two buzzer beaters

------

History tells us Proctor will come up big

Last edited:
Walking out of the Dome in 2020 was one of the most satisfying walks of my life. High giving every Duke shirt I saw, grinning the whole time.

I never realized how wacky the leap year CH games tended to be. We have just owned them in Chapel Hill in even years in general, winning 10 out of 12 since 2000 overall. We’ve only won four times there in odd years this century, meanwhile.

Overall stats since 2000:
First game @ CH: 10-2
First game @ Durham: 7-5
Second game @ CH: 4-8
Second game @ Durham: 7-5
ACCT: 6-1
NCAAT: 0-1

Crazy how dominant we’ve been in the first CH game. Makes up our entire RS advantage over them in that timeframe. Also have owned them in the ACCT. Sad that didn‘t translate to the NCAAT game last year.

It is to our benefit if their 2024 PG reclasses, right? If I recall he’s pretty vocal about wanting to be OAD and get drafted, and he’s just as small as Roach, so they will have their shortest backcourt ever. Blocks them from an experienced starting caliber SG/PG transfer, and means he won't be a year older in 2024, weakening that team that might have Jackson on it

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly, that’s what I keep thinking. If he joins RJ Davis as their starting backcourt they’re going to be tiny back there. I watched him a little bit in the Geico Nationals this weekend and he’s definitely a good player. More of a throwback, set up point guard, really does a good job of passing the ball ahead on the break, like a tinier Kendall Marshall. If I’m a Carolina fan, I like the idea of him meshing with Davis offensively with respect to their skill sets, but they are both so small. Cadeau’s jumper looks to me like it’s a weakness, though.

It is to our benefit if their 2024 PG reclasses, right? If I recall he’s pretty vocal about wanting to be OAD and get drafted, and he’s just as small as Roach, so they will have their shortest backcourt ever. Blocks them from an experienced starting caliber SG/PG transfer, and means he won't be a year older in 2024, weakening that team that might have Jackson on it
Also, the in-depth Athletic post-mortem than Brendan Marks wrote about UNC's season talked about how RJ Davis wanted to play PG and be seen as the PG so much he wanted his name removed from the Jerry West Award (Top SG) list.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom