Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

Everyone loves Vrank and JMD, myself included, because of their obvious skill sets and gaudy advanced stats, yet everyone ignores Jack White who has incredible advanced stats and doesn't throw the ball out of bounds every time he touches it.

He is such a K player. I will be shocked if he isn't playing this season. He can fucking shoot the hell out of the ball, and he rebounds and plays D. He is all the things missing from this team that everyone is bitching about.
I'm not doubting but where are you getting that he can shoot the hell out of the ball? 1-2 at Duke and I can't really find any international stats showing he made a bunch of 3's.

Everyone loves Vrank and JMD, myself included, because of their obvious skill sets and gaudy advanced stats, yet everyone ignores Jack White who has incredible advanced stats and doesn't throw the ball out of bounds every time he touches it.

He is such a K player. I will be shocked if he isn't playing this season. He can fucking shoot the hell out of the ball, and he rebounds and plays D. He is all the things missing from this team that everyone is bitching about.
I'm not doubting but where are you getting that he can shoot the hell out of the ball? 1-2 at Duke and I can't really find any international stats showing he made a bunch of 3's.
If you include exhibitions, I believe he is 5-6. Granted, that competition sucked, but he seems to be able to hit an open shot.

I have to admit, I thought farmer was joking at first given how much we shit on Jack White around the time he committed. It'll be really interesting watching us hype up Alex O'Connell after he puts up a 140 Ortg on 1.7 mpg when it becomes obvious that he'll have to play some next year.

There is a real opportunity for the backup 3 to play significant minutes. In fact, if you assume that Bagley does not ever play the 3 and further assume that K will only pick one player as the designated fill-in for the 1-3 spots, there's a chance for a current Blue team member to average 20 plus minutes in that role. If in real games Allen and Duval average 35 minutes each (although I think it could be closer to 37) and Trent 30, that's 20 right there. This player would presumably always be the 3: when Trent is the one out, he replaces Trent; when Allen is out, Trent slides into the 2; and when Duval is out, Allen slides into the 1 and Trent the 2.

The candidates for this role would presumably be Jordan Tucker, Jack White and O'Connell. I think in that order at the moment. I would give it to whatever guy is our best catch-and-shoot 3 point threat, assuming equally bad defense by the three of them. If we're thinking about the future, I would think Tucker offers the greatest potential return on playing time investment as an upperclassman.

It's too bad Javin doesn't have at least a corner three-point shot. I suspect he could defend opposing SFs all right.

Tucker's highlight footage looks way better than his composite ranking suggests. I assume he must be terrible at some fundamental aspect of the game.

Does anyone know how Trent's handles are? For short periods of time Allen and Trent would be the primary ball handlers and I'd assume we'd be pressured to death during that time.

I would assume Grayson is going to be a better option as backup PG than Trent.

It's too bad Javin doesn't have at least a corner three-point shot. I suspect he could defend opposing SFs all right.

Tucker's highlight footage looks way better than his composite ranking suggests. I assume he must be terrible at some fundamental aspect of the game.

I think the "slightly taller Dawkins" analogy for Tucker is really accurate. He seems, to me, to have a subpar handle and first step for a college wing player (most of whom are guards). But he's got a strong body for a freshman, and a freaking beautiful jumpshot.

Does anyone know how Trent's handles are? For short periods of time Allen and Trent would be the primary ball handlers and I'd assume we'd be pressured to death during that time.

I really don't know anything about Trent's ability to handle.

However, in the scenario you mention where Tre is not on the court and Allen is the primary ballhandler, Bagley could serve as the secondary ballhandler to help advance the ball into the frontcourt when facing the press (like Ryan Kelly in 2012/13). I think Bagley could be useful as a ballhandler in this situation, but not necessarily leading the break or in a point guard role.

But Dawkins was ranked quite a bit higher. Of course in retrospect, maybe Dawkins should have been ranked lower.

The candidates for this role would presumably be Jordan Tucker, Jack White and O'Connell. I think in that order at the moment. I would give it to whatever guy is our best catch-and-shoot 3 point threat, assuming equally bad defense by the three of them. If we're thinking about the future, I would think Tucker offers the greatest potential return on playing time investment as an upperclassman.

I agree on Tucker, but actually more for his immediate help, specifically because I think he's our best catch-and-shoot 3-point threat on the team, maybe outside of Grayson. I think White offers a lot of return on PT investment, too, but some of that is because he can do some valuable PF things in addition to shooting; there's just enough guys on this year's squad that can do those things better than I don't think he'll play over Tucker.

I'm aware Allen will be the backup PG but I see instances of us being pressured, Allen double or ball denial and Trent will have some ball handling duties.

Here's what DraftExpress says:

GARY TRENT, USA, SG, USA, COMMITTED TO DUKE, 18.2

STRENGTHS -Has good size for the wing at 6'6 in shoes, with a strong 215 pound frame. 6'8 ½ wingspan is adequate, even to guard some small forwards

-Has impressive scoring instincts. Knows how to put the ball in the basket. Hungry for points. Alpha dog mentality

-Physical and aggressive player. Will crash the glass

-Shot-maker who can get hot and hit a barrage of 3s both spotting up and off the dribble, even from NBA range

-Can find success at times in the open floor and on straight-line drives

-Can move his feet and stay in front when he's locked in and competing. Aggressive playing the passing lanes and has good instincts for coming up with steals

WEAKNESSES

-Average athlete in terms of quickness and explosiveness

-More of a shot-maker than a pure shooter. Very streaky, partially due to his poor shot-selection. Career 33.5% 3P% on over 450 attempts in DX database

-Doesn't have much wiggle to his game. Wants to bulldoze his way through opponents. Relies heavily on his strength.
Needs to add polish as a ball-handler. Ball slows him down.
Wants to pull-up off the bounce at the first glimmer of daylight.

-Reluctant passer.
Never met a shot he didn't like.

-Insistence on shooting long 2s, and below the rim style inside the paint makes him fairly inefficient scoring inside the arc

-Inconsistent in his approach defensively. Doesn't always put enough pride in on this end of the floor.
Doesn't have standout lateral quickness, so will get roasted at times off the bounce.
Likes to gamble for steals

OUTLOOK Trent had just a decent week of practice and capped it off with an inefficient 9 point on 11 field goal attempt game in USA's win over the World Select team.
He measured an inch taller than he did in the past, but other than that, his game hasn't changed all that much since he first burst onto the scene a few years ago.
When his jumper is falling, he can be impressive with his shot-making ability, but he'll need to find a way to become more efficient with the rest of his game as he tends to freeze out his teammates. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Trent-82914/ ©DraftExpress

These same execs would likely take De'Aaron Fox #5 overall and Josh Jackson over Jayson Tatum, so there must still be some way for Duval to be a positive player.

My wishes for Tre:

1 - stay healthy
2 - break the opposing D down to get to rim/create for others
3 - provide solid on-ball D

IMHO if he can shoot 47% from floor like Fox did last year I would be ok with that. Can we expect him to shoot 25% from 3 like Fox did?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom