Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

News Thread

[QUOTE="deepdarkblue, post: 191532, member: ]

They've begun arresting people now.

lead_960.jpg

While I understand that this is the woman who climbed the ladder and threw the tow strap around the statue, the optics are once again a bit off. There were maybe six black people in the videos I saw, and probably a hundred whites. Maybe you should have rounded up a few white folks for your photo session?[/QUOTE]

Why would NC give a damn about optics now?

My thoughts and prayers are with Dr. Ben Carson, after he suffered the soul crushing horror of having his house papered. While he and his family were out of town. Which the neighbors cleaned up before the doctor and family returned.
I'll be holding a prayer vigil for the good doctor this evening, for all who would like to attend.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/17/ben-carson-house-vandalized-241746

This Harvey shit in Texas is looking pretty brutal. Hope @NCCU is okay, pretty sure he lives in the Houston area.

NCCU, Cam & any other Texans here - I hope your friends & family are doing alright.

Thanks for the well wishes. Fortunately all my relatives moved out of the Houston area. I have a few that live in the Dallas area.

I cannot believe the photos on twitter of the flooding damage. Seeing flood waters up to traffic signal depth is insane. Honestly going to be a weather disaster that impacts for years.

I am not in the path of a hurricane but it blows my mind that people don't evacuate when there are several days notice that it is headed that way. U.S. forecasts projected 29 inches of rain while European models had it around 56 inches of rain. Dunno about you but when I hear that amount, I'm packing as much as shit as can fit in the car, taking photos of everything I left behind and making sure my home owners/renters insurance includes both hurricane and flood coverage. Better to be safe than sorry and there is no fucking way I'm staying behind to ride it out. Fuck that.

Some of that is personal nature, I guess. In the recent BC wildfires, there were entire communities that refused RCMP orders to evacuate.

NCCU, Cam & any other Texans here - I hope your friends & family are doing alright.

Thanks for the well wishes. Fortunately all my relatives moved out of the Houston area. I have a few that live in the Dallas area.

I cannot believe the photos on twitter of the flooding damage. Seeing flood waters up to traffic signal depth is insane. Honestly going to be a weather disaster that impacts for years.

I am not in the path of a hurricane but it blows my mind that people don't evacuate when there are several days notice that it is headed that way. U.S. forecasts projected 29 inches of rain while European models had it around 56 inches of rain. Dunno about you but when I hear that amount, I'm packing as much as shit as can fit in the car, taking photos of everything I left behind and making sure my home owners/renters insurance includes both hurricane and flood coverage. Better to be safe than sorry and there is no fucking way I'm staying behind to ride it out. Fuck that.

This is at least one reason why they didn't evacuate (this was from about 5:00PM Friday):

As Hurricane Harvey nears landfall, Harris County’s top elected official says he isn’t calling for an evacuation for residents of the county that includes Houston and many of its suburbs. That’s despite Texas Gov. Greg Abbott suggesting people in Houston should head north, away from the Texas Gulf Coast.

Ed Emmett, the Harris County judge, says that while the hurricane is expected to dump lots of rain on Houston, the city isn’t expected to receive large amounts of storm surge as well. Other communities on the Texas coast are expecting that.

Emmett said he had spoken to Abbott Friday afternoon and acknowledged residents of the nation’s fourth-largest city might have gotten a “mixed message.” But he said residents should stay put, in part because it’s too early for officials to determine where the most flooding would occur.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner asked people in the city to stay in their homes and off the roads to the extent possible. He said there might be a “greater danger” in having people who don’t need to be evacuated onto roads that could flood.

"Stay put. You can all swim, right?"

It is pretty surreal to listen to the local and federal government repeatedly say:

" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ help each other out y'all"

They recently started deputizing boat owners and their boats around the city. I'm basically living through one of the Dunkirk timelines.

Ultimately, the decision not to evacuate Houston probably saved hundreds of lives. With massive flooding, the most dangerous place to be is the road. Efforts to evacuate the 4th largest city in America would have taken days and days. Hundreds...thousands of people would have been stranded on roads when the flooding started. Disabled...elderly...children. It would have been absolutely terrible.

Right now there are only 5 deaths.

The energy capital of the world is underwater. Devastating. Twitter is unbelievable right now. My heart is hurting.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom