Game Thread [2019-20]#12 Duke vs. NC State

outcome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
last night's offensive performance in the 2nd half seems totally unsustainable. We had 25 fast break points which we don't normally do, and in the 2nd half it seemed like a lot of them came off of turnovers which were generated from NC State not being prepared to go against the 2-3 zone. This won't happen as we move forward even if we stick with the 2-3.

FWIW, State collapsed in the second half against FSU when FSU went to zone. Lot's of turnovers, run outs, etc.

I'm not sure if it's just a State thing, but there's no reason a zone can't create turnovers. More frequently, a zone creates missed jumpers which lead to fast break opportunities.

Reactions: Slap the Floor
FWIW, State collapsed in the second half against FSU when FSU went to zone. Lot's of turnovers, run outs, etc.

I'm not sure if it's just a State thing, but there's no reason a zone can't create turnovers. More frequently, a zone creates missed jumpers which lead to fast break opportunities.

Good point.

I think the issue becomes when zone becomes the full-time defense like it did in 2018, teams have more time to prepare for it and thus reducing the turnovers. IIRC we sprung the 2-3 on Michigan State to open the season and generated a bunch of turnovers which led to easy points for us. However, as the season wore on and we committed to 2-3 full-time, the defense was still good but we were forcing less turnovers. My point was that I just don't think last night's offensive outburst is sustainable if we go zone full-time as teams will be better prepared for it.

This discussion has been had here multiple times this season, but I still think that we need to have a mixture of defenses. I still think we should run man to man, but I also think we should mix in 2-3 as well as zone press, which we ran a little bit of last night. It's just different looks to steal possessions and take the opposing team out of their rhythm. It worked last night because NC State wasn't prepared for our 2-3 (and apparently neither were we) but long-term this won't be the case.

The 2-3 completely takes teams out of their rhythm if we run it alongside the man to man. Even if teams are prepared for it, they are forced to run an entirely new offense against the 2-3. It's more thinking for the opposing teams (new plays), and it's different rhythm (shots are coming from different areas on the floor, more passing, the game slows down a bit in the half-court). This gives us the room to return to man to man if we want to. The zone press is similar, and in a best case scenario generates a turnover. If it doesn't, we shaved off 10 seconds of the shot clock.

My concern moving forward is that in 2018 we had a much better offense than we do now. Grayson Allen and Gary Trent Jr were very good 3pt shooters and Bagley was a monster inside, and Carter was excellent as well. We had a high functioning offense which could score inside and out at high levels. This offense is not that at all, and I hope the staff doesn't think we can generate offense from our defense every game like we did last night, because I don't think that's the case.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil