Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Gonzaga vs. Duke (Las Vegas)

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Had an awesome time, really fun atmosphere. Heard "let's go duke" all the way from the arena to Las Vegas Blvd after the game.

Still think that Gonzaga needs Chet to be their best player and not a less aggressive 2nd or 3rd option to win a title. Felt like he was too passive overall.

Regardless, a hell of a game and win. One of the best games I've gotten to see in person.
What happened with the lady?

She jetted out asap after gonzaga lost 😂

Forcing the number of turnovers we did last night against Gonzaga bodes extremely well for the rest of the season. It displays, IMO, that our defense is real and not a mirage from the first few games, and, that the pressure and intensity are real and will continue to reap benefits for the team as the season progresses. Gonzaga is the best college basketball team I've ever seen at cutting, moving off-ball, and passing I've ever seen, and Duke still was blowing up their actions, forcing live-ball turnovers, and getting Gonzaga sped up.

Mark’s numbers support the obvious eye test takeaway that Duke probably loses by 20+ if he weren’t playing. He is the most valuable player in the sport this season, and I think even with a season ending injury in the latter part of the ACC schedule, he’ll win ACC DPOY. 174 ORtg, 90 DRtg, 23 BPM, 86% TS, 11% OReb, 28% DReb, 17% Blk, 3.6% Stl, 0 TO.

Griffin, Keels and Roach made up quite the poop trifecta. Griffin’s numbers probably wouldn’t look quite so bad if he got more than 6 minutes of sample size. Overall, TS of 0%, 24% and 31% and BPM of -5.5, -2.9 and -3.0 for them, respectively. Giving K the benefit of the doubt, Griffin probably isn’t ready to help the team against good competition yet, and K has extremely bad options to work with in the backcourt at the moment.

Optimistically, Roach can at least add a catch and shoot wide open 3 to his repertoire like he did in the second half of last season, and Keels’ shot will come back as it should be expected to. With Moore being a capable 30% usage player to go with Banchero, and Mark being hyper efficient offensively up to around 20% usage, all Duke needs from the other two players on the court is Tyler Thornton-type 10% usage offense. Keels can be much more than that, but that’s the bare minimum Duke needs from him. Duke can win a title if Roach is a 10% usage, 110 efficiency guy. Not ideal, not good, not even acceptable really, but it doesn’t kill the team.

Since Mark actually had 7 blocks due to the not-really-even-debatable foul and goaltending calls, his actual block % was more like 24%, and he altered a bunch more, of course. Pretty insane level of impact against the runaway #1 team with an NPOY candidate he was directly matched up against.

Another thing that stands out watching Moore this year is the incredible shape he's in, kind of like Stanley was two years ago, where he'll make a full-exertion play like driving hard and finishing through contact, then full-court sprint back to catch up with his man on defense, guard him on-ball, then push the ball back up the court on the rebound, all without taking a beat to slow down breathe.

Wonder if that has something to do with his seeming clutch-ness so far. I thought one of the biggest momentum turns of the game was after Gonzaga took a 73-71 lead with 5 minutes to go. Felt a little iffy, but then Roach hit that floater off a MW tip-out, and Moore stole the inbound, got Chet to pick him up his fourth, and hit both FTs to put Duke up two, and Gonzaga didn't score again for three and a half minutes or so.

The way he jumped in front of the inbounder seemed like a scouting thing, to counter against how fast Gonzago gets down the court after makes, as he was doing it all game. Cool to see a little thing like that pay off in such a huge moment.

I agree that was the biggest sequence of the game. And it was my favorite. It's appropriate that the two heroes of the game were involved in those plays (Mark with the tip out and Moore with the steal).

Wow what a game! Congrats on the win and I wish the very best to Koach K. This is my first post on a Duke site. Duke is special to me because a kid I went to high school with played there in the 60's, his name is Mike Lewis from Missoula, Montana. Anybody old enough to remember him?
I live in Spokane and have watched Gonzaga develop under Mark Few from when he was an assistant in the late 90's. It's been an amazing evolution over a 20 year period and now to see their teams hold their own with the big programs like Duke, it is a real story. I remember when my Montana Grizzlies were on par with them. Things have changed with the new transfer portal situation and Few is getting experienced proven players in recent years which helps recruiting also.
Hats off to the effort put in by Duke!
Hope to meet again in March..

I wasn't born until 1980, but I actually have heard his name.

I was up in Billings for two month last summer, btw. Liked it a lot, though the Western part of the state seemed significantly more scenic. Enjoyed the area around Bozeman when I was driving through.

Wow what a game! Congrats on the win and I wish the very best to Koach K. This is my first post on a Duke site. Duke is special to me because a kid I went to high school with played there in the 60's, his name is Mike Lewis from Missoula, Montana. Anybody old enough to remember him?
I live in Spokane and have watched Gonzaga develop under Mark Few from when he was an assistant in the late 90's. It's been an amazing evolution over a 20 year period and now to see their teams hold their own with the big programs like Duke, it is a real story. I remember when my Montana Grizzlies were on par with them. Things have changed with the new transfer portal situation and Few is getting experienced proven players in recent years which helps recruiting also.
Hats off to the effort put in by Duke!
Hope to meet again in March..

1973 Topps #219 Mike Lewis Cougars Duke 5 - EX | eBay

I was just a kid but I remember my Dad taking me to see Mike Lewis playing for the Carolina Cougars in Greensboro. His career basically ended when he tore an achilles.

I wasn't born until 1980, but I actually have heard his name.

I was up in Billings for two month last summer, btw. Liked it a lot, though the Western part of the state seemed significantly more scenic. Enjoyed the area around Bozeman when I was driving through.
West definitely better. Honestly Billings kinda sucks.

Yeah, it's an ugly oil town. But you can still get to the east side of Yellowstone pretty quickly. My friend lives in Red Lodge, which is only like an hour away and is really nice.

I'm partial but hey I'm from western Montana so agree the west side is spectacular compared to the east. It's 700 miles across that state and is split by the continental divide or the Rocky Mountains. East like the Dakota's, west more like Idaho, very scenic and rugged. Down by Red Lodge is awesome as well though. Mike Lewis did well at Duke I believe.
1638432464939.png

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom