Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Alex O'Connell

DBhT0SSW0AIz3Yh.jpg

Next season is going to be so awesome.

I have to admit, I am only about 50/50 sure that Alex O'Connell is even in that photo. That is him on the left, right? Not some random ambiguous gender Duke student?

O'Connell looks like he's starring in a Disney Channel movie about a child who, after a series of hilarious misunderstandings, winds up playing basketball for his favorite college team.

The least this kid can do to spare us embarrassment as Duke fans is cut his damn hair. K allowing Zoubek to grow a beard has led us to this? We have Singler looking like some artistic mummy in the NBA and now O'Connell looking like a blend of young Disney stars. This season of ridicule will not be worth the 2010 national title, IMO.

Probably for the best that he never leaves the bench so this small, contained set of Duke fans can absolutely shit on him for 4 years rather than risk national exposure and subsequent ridicule.

^^^ I guarantee within the first 5 minutes of the first nationally televised game he plays in, a bazillion articles will hit online social media with titles like "the newest dookie you'll love to hate" with comments on /collegebasketall along the lines of 'I don't know what it is about him but for some reason I want to punch him in the face'.

torontoduke said:
You guys are mocking AO, but he'll hit a buzzer-beater in an Elite 8 game one day.

Mods, please move to "I am an idiot thread"

"He's been lifting"
He does look a hell of a lot better.

Been thinking the same thing since they posted those practice pics a few weeks ago. If he can add the weight and really has the tools the scouts say he has, then he can be a great player for us.

Same time, I thought Alex Murphy could be great for us in the same scenario.

To be fair, TDD insiders assured us throughout Murphy's preseason practices that he was the second coming of Kyle Singler. I believe the description was "Better than Singler was at this point"?
So, yeah, you can be forgiven for unrealistic Murphy expectations. We were all there with you.

"Better than Singler was at this point" was a direct quote from the great John Watson.

Compared to how O'Connell looked in high school, he's positively ripped. I'm not expecting much at first, but I could see him being a solid junior and senior.

I think O'Connell is a substantially better athlete in the pure jumping-ability sense of the word than Murphy was. He's also got a prettier shot (something about his lift/kick on the jumper reminds me a bit of Hurley). I have doubts about the rest of his guard skills at this point, though I'm sure he'll improve as he keeps getting stronger and older.

I think Murphy was more fundamentally skilled coming out of high school in terms of footwork and rebounding.

He seems to also have a mean streak that I didn't see in Murphy. I do have a hard time getting past the hair :smirk:.

If he can shoot, he'll play this year. I don't expect much, but not many shooters in the lineup.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back