Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cameron Reddish

Maybe they'll turn it around, but I've lost all faith in this coaching staff to do a competent job on one end of the floor. Prior to this year, at least they had the excuse of multiple injuries. It's hard for me to get up hope for any future roster due to this total incompetence.

Duke basketball is hopeless to me until I see actual improvements defensively. Until then, I am resigned to the fact that Duke will continue to underachieve every season.

Duke basketball is hopeless to me until I see actual improvements defensively. Until then, I am resigned to the fact that Duke will continue to underachieve every season.

We're Giants fans, Slap - therefore numb to our favourite teams underachieving.

I hate to say it but this is where I'm trending. We win most of our games simply because we're more talented than most of the teams we play, but our defensive incompetence has evolved from frustrating to borderline incomprehensible.

Having people like Battier, Lance and Amile who are effective communicators from the back line is missed. Maybe Javin can provide that to next year's group.

usa-american-flag-gif-3.gif

Holy hell, that was impressive.

I feel like in the videos I watched early in the year, he looked more like a slender, 6'7 wing who was skilled but not very physical and played below the rim.

The guy in that video just looks like a dominating force, though. Looks like he's taken the Ingram leap physically and will he a perfect Duke 4.

It's also encouraging that every top 5-10 big wing that's come to Duke has pretty much ended up as the best possible version of himself at Duke, other than maybe Jabari. Winslow, Ingram, Tatum all had the potential for us to hate them, but ended up as perfect saints.

I feel like in the videos I watched early in the year, he looked more like a slender, 6'7 wing who was skilled but not very physical and played below the rim.

The guy in that video just looks like a dominating force, though. Looks like he's taken the Ingram leap physically and will he a perfect Duke 4.

It's also encouraging that every top 5-10 big wing that's come to Duke has pretty much ended up as the best possible version of himself at Duke, other than maybe Jabari. Winslow, Ingram, Tatum all had the potential for us to hate them, but ended up as perfect saints.
Jabari was an offensive juggernaut. I wasn't a particular fan due to his defense, but he was the best player on the best Duke Kenpom offense ever. He was probably as positively impactful a player as Tatum and Ingram, if we look at the whole picture.

Jabari was an offensive juggernaut. I wasn't a particular fan due to his defense, but he was the best player on the best Duke Kenpom offense ever. He was probably as positively impactful a player as Tatum and Ingram, if we look at the whole picture.

Yeah, Jabari was great but that team was, imo, another victim of K's modern era shitty defensive coaching.

Based on the number of contested, off-the-dribble stepback threes Reddish takes in that video, he seems like a prime candidate for a big jump in effiiciency once he gets to college and starts getting wide open catch-and-shoot opportunities.

Some recent information from 247:

"The new top 2018 prospect in the country has made rapid strides to his game and his emergence is coming at the right time.

At 6-foot-7 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, the Duke signee has always had the size, length and athleticism to be a big time prospect. However, there have always been two issues holding him back: he’s had a sporadic motor and inconsistent jumper.

As a senior, Reddish has made eye-opening improvements in both areas, leaving little left to nitpick when it comes to projecting him to the NBA level.

He’s an outstanding athlete both laterally and vertically, has the size and physical tools to play the two through four on both sides of the court, has the handle and body control to effortlessly attack the rim and now has a jumper with much more consistency beyond the perimeter.

Given Reddish’s combination of physical tools, skillset and upside, there’s every reason to bet on him as a prospect
."

https://247sports.com/Article/Analyzing-the-likely-one-and-done-2018-recruits-112260569

In that ballislife highlight tape Reddish looks better than Barrett. It's close, but he looks better. Looks like an absolute freak. He wasn't playing kids from Kansas, either.

Every year I catch myself saying "if K can't have a top 25 defense with this roster then he never will". I said it this year, I said it last year and you know what? I'll say it again. If K can't have a top 25 defense with a front court as long and athletic as Barrett-Reddish-DeL then he never will.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shake on me.
Fool me 10 of the last 11 years....can't get fooled again.

Every year I catch myself saying "if K can't have a top 25 defense with this roster then he never will". I said it this year, I said it last year and you know what? I'll say it again. If K can't have a top 25 defense with a front court as long and athletic as Barrett-Reddish-DeL then he never will.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shake on me.
Fool me 10 of the last 11 years....can't get fooled again.

He essentially already failed with a very similar roster make-up of Hood-Parker-Amile.

If Bolden doesn't come back, Duke is 100% having a defense sub 70, and I'm not saying that to imply Bolden is some huge difference maker defensively. Without Bolden we will be pretty small up front. DeLaurier at center and Reddish at the 4 is small. offensively it would be tremendous with Reddish/Barrett at the 4/3 but it's going to be bad because we won't have rim protection, and we won't rebound well. Further, since we will be "small but so athletic and so long " K will 100% extend his m2m to fucking half-court and our defense will offer slightly more resistance than a lay-up line. Bolden is needed so he and DeLaurier can double up in the post and with Barrett-Reddish at 2-3 we will be very good again on the boards and have size inside and it gives us post some more depth in what could be a horrifically thin front-court.

Even if Bolden comes back, K won't play two bigs unless those bigs are clearly two of the best players or he doesn't have enough guards to go small.

Both of those things are true this year but won't be so clear cut next year. He'll go small.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom