Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2017-18

A non-Gonzaga midmajor or Northwestern-like high major winning the title has been coming for a while. With early departures, there's essentially a lower skill cap on college basketball every year, and the tournament has inherent randomness. If Wichita or SMU ever gets a starting lineup of all seniors who were 50-150 ranked recruits, they should be just as good as a Kentucky with a starting lineup of all freshmen who were recruits 1-5 overall.

Speaking of inefficient guards who enrolled in college early...

DAht7NoWAAE9Mbs.jpg

Hamidou Diallo will be the best athlete in college basketball next year. Hamidou Diallo will also be the worst shooter in college basketball who'll play significant minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested to see how Diallo looks next season after having all of that time to practice and train at UK while everyone else was still in high school. He won't be some sharp shooter, but he has a distinct advantage entering next season in that he basically was a redshirt player for them last year.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
A non-Gonzaga midmajor or Northwestern-like high major winning the title has been coming for a while. With early departures, there's essentially a lower skill cap on college basketball every year, and the tournament has inherent randomness. If Wichita or SMU ever gets a starting lineup of all seniors who were 50-150 ranked recruits, they should be just as good as a Kentucky with a starting lineup of all freshmen who were recruits 1-5 overall.

Wichita State returns literally their entire roster next season. They went 31-5 last season, #8 on KenPom #13 in O and #13 in D and lost to Kentucky by 3 points in the second round.

CJ Bryce transferring from UNCW, will follow Keatts to NCSU. He's a solid player.

I predict NC State will not suck. Bold, I know.

Slap the Floor said:
I'm interested to see how Diallo looks next season after having all of that time to practice and train at UK while everyone else was still in high school. He won't be some sharp shooter, but he has a distinct advantage entering next season in that he basically was a redshirt player for them last year.
Cal is probably the best in the business at making use of non-shooting athletes, imo.

...and NC State picks up another transfer commitment today, Devon Daniels from Utah. I'm not sure whether his issue is hookers, or blow:

"Daniels started 26 games as a freshman for the Utes this past season. He averaged 9.9 points per game on 57.1 percent shooting. However, he served a three-game suspension late in the season for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The 6-5, 200-pounder will have to sit out next season as a transfer but will have three years of eligibility remaining after that."

Meanwhile, Keatts has offered 23 kids in the 2018 class. http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/nc-state

rome8180 said:
Cal is probably the best in the business at making use of non-shooting athletes, imo.

I agree. Whenever I let myself get too carried away with the "Cal's a shitty coach" conceit, I remind myself of what he's often done for years with guys of low to moderate technique/skill. Cal's good at channelling overwhelming athleticism and brute force into something effective.

Emphasizing defense and/or rebounding can help neutralize lack of "skill." Coach K tends to prefer skill over raw physical prowess.

Good for him and good for OSU. Matta recognized he had lost a step, he had a great successor waiting in the wings (Paulus) and it's time to go. Duke does not appear to have the same good fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Ohio St thing seems quite the shit show. Fired him now, because of recruiting? This helps how?

Maybe. We will have already fulfilled our mandatory play-MSU-once-each-year quota with that other tournament.

Any chance K blows off Paulus' pregame handshake attempt?

or that K goes John Chaney on Paulus in the post game press conference?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom