Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2017-18

This was a good answer. Speaks to how how absurdly strong the brand for Duke/Coach K is right now.

• "He's coached the best in the world with USA Basketball, won all those gold medals and titles. He's got Nike influence. And did you see Kevin Durant at Peach Jam? Who's the coach KD went out of his way to stop and talk with? Coach K. Kids notice that."
Also:

"Anybody who doesn't think his role with USA Basketball has helped him on the recruiting trail is crazy," one source said. "He's literally had the power to decide who gets to represent the United States. He got Mason Plumlee on the team! That's power!"

He actually didn't want to put Mason on the team due to how it would look. He had to be talked into it. Not sure if that's spin or not, but that's what was said by the other coaches.

Man this would be a game changer. We might lose a Bolden but you think after losing someone like Tyus or Thornton we could bring in a transfer pretty damn soon.

Recruiting within the college ranks might becomes more important than at the high school level for the guys who aren't OAD caliber. You have to think there's at least a dozen or so PGs a year at other schools that would jump for a chance to play for Duke if we had a vacancy.

I think it would be absolute chaos. If we don't like the constant turnover caused by the OAD rule, imagine what adding this would do. And it would hurt Duke probably more than any other school, imo. We play the shortest bench of any school with our talent level.

You think it would hurt Duke? Wow. In my opinion it would go to great lengths to solve one of the OAD driven problems: How young and inexperienced the team is year after year. All that needs to happen to benefit Duke is more players at lower-tier schools wanting to transfer to Duke to fill an open spot, than Duke players who want to transfer. Which I think is easily true given we're talking about players at dozens of schools versus just one.

College coaches (predominantly mid-majors) not too keen on the new transfer idea. I certainly can see their point, their rosters will be gutted regularly. I think it hurts coaching in the long term as well, since mid-majors are most often where the next generation of high-major coaches get their experience and draw the attention of the big programs. I would imagine success becomes problematic when you're all but assured of always losing your good players. And what's the cutoff for "good"? Maybe a high-major just needs some serviceable bodies to fill a roster. So you might even be in danger of losing your borderline players to a bigger program that just needs some practice players.

http://scout.com/college/basketball...ing-out-on-potential-transfer-rule--107036402

“It would turn into one of the dirtiest recruiting periods that you've ever seen,” Indiana coach Archie Miller told Scout.

Every lay up and handshake line would turn into a recruiting pitch. Every interaction with an opposing player or parent would be an opportunity to lay the groundwork for a potential move.

“You'll have guys talking to your players when they are in your gym,” Miller added. “Coaches will recruit players right after games and now you can go directly to the source, it would cripple teams and programs.”

"I think it's ridiculous,” Xavier’s Chris Mack said of the potential rule.

“There's a constant narrative on social media about the mass exodus of kids and how it's appalling so many kids opt to transfer,” he added. “So now we want to make it easier to transfer? I don't see any logic in that line of thinking. Doesn't surprise me, but it's a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I transferred years ago and I sat out a year. Did me a world of good. It's not the negative people make it out to be."

One prominent high school coach told Scout on Wednesday even with the sit out rule in place he gets calls from college coaches every November and December asking if any of his former players are ready to make an early move. If this goes through, I feel sorry for him and his cell phone bill.

Since Tuesday afternoon, I’ve talked to more than 25 assistant and head coaches and not one was in favor of the potential rule.

“It would be the wild, wild west,” one high major assistant said.

“That’s scary, man,” another said.

“The power 5 will be doing most of their recruiting off the other teams,” Middle Tennessee State coach Kermit Davistold Scout.

“Recruiting on each other's campus, ridiculous,” Davis said. “Will bring in college coaches Wrestle Mania.”

I think it would be absolute chaos. If we don't like the constant turnover caused by the OAD rule, imagine what adding this would do. And it would hurt Duke probably more than any other school, imo. We play the shortest bench of any school with our talent level.

I'm with DSon on this, short bench or not. I think this would help Duke more than almost all other schools.

I see this as Seth Curry / Rodney Hood magnified 10-fold. Why are guys going to transfer -- to go to schools that get them more exposure, or a chance to win, or, to an extent, to get to go to a more big-name program or better academic school for the post-playing opportunities available to you. We're one of the two biggest-name programs, and the best and likely most expensive school of the top 20 programs.

College coaches (predominantly mid-majors) not too keen on the new transfer idea. I certainly can see their point, their rosters will be gutted regularly. I think it hurts coaching in the long term as well, since mid-majors are most often where the next generation of high-major coaches get their experience and draw the attention of the big programs. I would imagine success becomes problematic when you're all but assured of always losing your good players. And what's the cutoff for "good"? Maybe a high-major just needs some serviceable bodies to fill a roster. So you might even be in danger of losing your borderline players to a bigger program that just needs some practice players.

http://scout.com/college/basketball...ing-out-on-potential-transfer-rule--107036402

“It would turn into one of the dirtiest recruiting periods that you've ever seen,” Indiana coach Archie Miller told Scout.

Every lay up and handshake line would turn into a recruiting pitch. Every interaction with an opposing player or parent would be an opportunity to lay the groundwork for a potential move.

“You'll have guys talking to your players when they are in your gym,” Miller added. “Coaches will recruit players right after games and now you can go directly to the source, it would cripple teams and programs.”

"I think it's ridiculous,” Xavier’s Chris Mack said of the potential rule.

“There's a constant narrative on social media about the mass exodus of kids and how it's appalling so many kids opt to transfer,” he added. “So now we want to make it easier to transfer? I don't see any logic in that line of thinking. Doesn't surprise me, but it's a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I transferred years ago and I sat out a year. Did me a world of good. It's not the negative people make it out to be."

One prominent high school coach told Scout on Wednesday even with the sit out rule in place he gets calls from college coaches every November and December asking if any of his former players are ready to make an early move. If this goes through, I feel sorry for him and his cell phone bill.

Since Tuesday afternoon, I’ve talked to more than 25 assistant and head coaches and not one was in favor of the potential rule.

“It would be the wild, wild west,” one high major assistant said.

“That’s scary, man,” another said.

“The power 5 will be doing most of their recruiting off the other teams,” Middle Tennessee State coach Kermit Davistold Scout.

“Recruiting on each other's campus, ridiculous,” Davis said. “Will bring in college coaches Wrestle Mania.”
All this is true. But it would also give the major conference schools a reason to finally start scheduling games against good mid-majors. One set of excuses turns into another, lol.

Coach Creme would be a good choice. No longer have to worry about Louisville blackletes raping our players with that defense, and he's good at beating Roy in the regular season, not so much K.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom