Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Darius Garland

torontoduke

Legend
Point guard from Tennessee who is currently ranked #8 on 247. By many accounts, a very smart player - Vanderbilt and Duke are in strong contention for his services. Likely to be a point guard as a pro, but certainly has skills to be a combo guard in college. His dad played pro ball, but I cannot remember him (I'm losing it).

He will be visiting UCLA, UK, Vandy & Duke - Durham visit scheduled in late October.

His shooting would be a strong complement to Tre and Cam (if Cam were to commit to Duke). May be a longshot if his desire is to be the sole PG; given Duke's pretty heavy involvement, I thought he should have his own thread.

http://247sports.com/Player/Darius-Garland-82842

Last edited:
I saw on one site that Garland was listed as 6'0 and then 6'2 elsewhere. Now that Tre Jones could very well be OAD, I think it would be especially important to get a multi year guard to bring some stability to the backcourt. If there's one area where I would want continuity, it's there.

I was more excited about Garland when (if) he was an even six footer because I thought we could steal some more time out of him.

I saw on one site that Garland was listed as 6'0 and then 6'2 elsewhere. Now that Tre Jones could very well be OAD, I think it would be especially important to get a multi year guard to bring some stability to the backcourt. If there's one area where I would want continuity, it's there.

I was more excited about Garland when (if) he was an even six footer because I thought we could steal some more time out of him.
He's still so small, he'd have to be truly elite for him to be OAD/2AD

Watched some video of him. He's pretty slight and doesn't seem to do anything exceptionally well besides shoot. Doesn't look OAD to me.

K has been recruiting Garland (and Jones) for much longer than Goldwire was ever recruited.

Most of the time I'd agree with you Toronto but in this case Goldwire is just a practice player. If he ever gets on the court it will be in 4 years unless it's with another team

I can understand the similarities between Tyus/Cook back court and a Tre/Garland back court. I think Garland and Cook have similar skillsets, but Garland won't even be half as good as a senior Quinn Cook. Garland will likely struggle with decision making early on, and he will not have the advantage of being in Duke's system for 4 years to understand a defensive system which takes time to become good at, as well as the strength and conditioning which both allowed Quinn Cook to become a really solid perimeter defender, which he improved at significantly from his time as a freshman and sophomore.

In theory, a Tre Jones/Garland back-court is great, but in reality I don't really see it shaking out that well while both are freshman. Ideal situation would be to land Barrett and Reddish, and play Jones-Barrett-Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic with Garland, Tucker, White, and another big off of the bench. I think this is the best for everyone involved. With DeLaurier and Vrankovic you have two selfless veteran players that will defend, rebound and know the defense well on the backline. Reddish at the three works out well and provides some defensive versatility, I think Barrett in the NBA will best served at the 2, and he and Reddish are probably interchangeable, certainly on defense. Jones, a high IQ PG who plays well defensively and gets everyone involved is the perfect PG for that roster.

I really like Garland coming off of the bench on that team and providing instant offense, playing some 2 PG line-up with Tre Jones and also relieving him of some PG duties.

For those exact reasons, I do not think Garland will attend Duke. I think they see the potential of this happening. JMO.

I think you'd be more likely to see a small ball lineup of Tre, Garland, Barrett, Reddish, and DeLaurier/Vrank. I'm not saying that's the best thing to do. I just don't have a lot of faith in K to go big when he has literally any other option.

My dream lineup would be something like Tre, Barrett, Reddish, DeLaurier, Williams. Won't happen for multiple reasons.

I think you'd be more likely to see a small ball lineup of Tre, Garland, Barrett, Reddish, and DeLaurier/Vrank. I'm not saying that's the best thing to do. I just don't have a lot of faith in K to go big when he has literally any other option.

You're probably right.

Most of the time I'd agree with you Toronto but in this case Goldwire is just a practice player. If he ever gets on the court it will be in 4 years unless it's with another team

I was just messing around. Everything I have read about JG is in line with what you have written

I was just messing around. Everything I have read about AG is in line with what you have written

AG = Anthony Goldwire? If we had him, I'd feel better about the team's veteran presence.

I agree with the sentiment that a Jones-Garland starting backcourt isn't going to get you anywhere in March as true freshmen. Hopefully, Duke has someone better to play at the 2 rather than having to start Garland, assuming they get him. I find it hard to see Garland being a one and done, but I also have a hard time seeing Tre go one and done, unless he becomes a much better shooter in the next two years before the 2019 draft.

Going back to 2012, freshmen PG's that didn't have elite size or athleticsicm to go one and done have been

2012: Marquis Teague Kentucky 29th
2014: Tyler Ennis Syracuse 18th
2015: Tyus Jones Duke 24th

Tyus and Teague were national champs and still only went in the 20's. Tyler Ennis is an interesting comparison for Tre in terms of playing style. Ennis wasn't a very good shooter at Cuse, but got to the free throw line and ran the team very well (33% assist rate to 13% TO rate). Big difference between Ennis and Tre is Ennis has a 6'7'' wingspan. Ennis is also not a guy that has had any NBA success and is bouncing around the league with three teams in three years.

Well, we're probably going to have an all-freshman backcourt even if it's not Jones and Garland. Trent by all accounts is OAD, and I expect him to leave even he's late first round. I guess O'Connell could play some too, but since he'll barely see the court this year that's not much better.

And personally, if we're going to have someone inexperienced there, I'd rather it be another PG, since that gives us two good ballhandlers. As SMTTEM has pointed out somewhere, the two-PG combo has not only treated Duke well but has been effective for several teams in recent years.

I suppose we could get a graduate transfer if there's one available. We're going to need as many guards as we can land.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom