Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentaries

dkst0426

All American
Been catching up on documentaries listed across 2017 "best of" lists. So far, I've watched and HIGHLY recommend:

About halfway through Strong Island right now. Of the ones I've watched from last year, Last Men In Aleppo is by far the most powerful one. It's not an easy watch by any stretch - in fact, I was choking back tears several times.

Got these queued up for now:

EDIT: Too many clips. Moving to other post

What other good documentaries have you seen or intend to see?

Others I'm waiting to watch:

We don't have a Documentaries thread. Would there be interest in sustaining one? I've been watching a couple of the Oscar nominees and also found others from best-of-2017 lists.

I like that idea - just watched the James Brown documentary last week.

A complicated man, but an unquestionably great artist.
What was the title of that one, @torontoduke? The Gaga one I posted was quite an intimate look at her as a person and not just an artist. Really liked it.

"The Best of Enemies"

The Vidal/Buckley debates from 1968. A fascinating watch. Much discussion on 'identity politics'

Others I'm waiting to watch:

We don't have a Documentaries thread. Would there be interest in sustaining one? I've been watching a couple of the Oscar nominees and also found others from best-of-2017 lists.

I like that idea - just watched the James Brown documentary last week.

A complicated man, but an unquestionably great artist.
What was the title of that one, @torontoduke? The Gaga one I posted was quite an intimate look at her as a person and not just an artist. Really liked it.

"Mr. Dynamite - The Rise of James Brown"

Thx for this thread. This will be good.

I must set aside time for this one:

I actually have not read her material, but I've read/heard quite a bit about her. Bret Easton Ellis frequently mentions her.

Another NOD favorite:

"Giant Clit or Small Dick. Who Cares? They Have Huge Tits"

I actually have not read her material, but I've read/heard quite a bit about her. Bret Easton Ellis frequently mentions her.

She was a primary influence on Greta Gerwig and her movie Lady Bird. Like Gerwig, she's from Sacramento and writes about the region. My family's from there too, so I feel a personal connection.

@dkst0426 I don't watch a ton of docs. However, I watched the Gaga one and really enjoyed it. Comparisons to Madonna do a great injustice to Gaga. Gaga is an extremely talented musician while Madonna was more of a self-marketer.

She was a primary influence on Greta Gerwig and her movie Lady Bird. Like Gerwig, she's from Sacramento and writes about the region. My family's from there too, so I feel a personal connection.

Thanks. As an aside, I am about 5 years too late, but I just watched Frances Ha (starring Greta G) last week when I was sick. I know someone who is exactly like that movie's title character, it was weird to watch.

Watched Casting JonBenet and Icarus last night.

I had forgotten a lot of the details surrounding the JonBenet case. Was interesting and even a bit creepy hearing all the local actors retell it from their perspectives.

Icarus was........wow. It had the feel of a spy drama, and the Russian lab head seemed almost cartoonish, but this was certainly eye-opening. Hard to believe the IOC reinstated Russia and didn't kick them out of Pyeongchang.

You know what else is creepy? NOD highly recommends "Scissoring? But You Both Have Dicks!"

I hear it's insane!

I'm not much for documentaries, but I will watch this one.
https://slate.com/culture/2018/01/sundance-doc-the-king-traces-elvis-to-trump.html

At Cannes last year, Eugene Jarecki, the filmmaker behind the acclaimed 2006 documentary Why We Fight, unveiled an ambitious new project that had been years in the making. Originally titled Promised Land, the film follows Jarecki as he travels across the country in a 1963 Rolls Royce once owned by Elvis Presley, attempting to chronicle the rock star’s meteoric rise and devastating fall against the backdrop of the political and cultural tensions of the 2016 election.

In a lot of ways the film started out with an idea: Who is more American than Elvis? And who better represents the hopes and dreams of the country than Elvis, and the era that one thinks of when he came into prominence? Yet, at the same time, that’s complicated, because that era was rife with its own complexities. We’re talking about postwar Jim Crow America. We’re talking about America in the 1950s confronting the complexities of her own birth and growth. Yet, there’s something very beautiful there in the birth of the country and the birth of Elvis. They both arrive on the scene and they hit like a meteor. The world is never the same for it. The film began with that idea at a time of great challenge in America. This was before Trump but the country was already the country that would end up with Trump, and that’s not a healthy country.

One of the things we are suffering from the most is that American victory in the 20th century created a kind of comfort—and I’m not saying [this is true] for poor people, but—I’m saying the general thrust of those who governed this country is that their lives were made so comfortable that they didn’t have want. Because they didn’t have want they didn’t create policies that promote achievement and that promote growth. They create policies that in a very neoliberal way service us to have all the goodies and the color TV and the full-service pushbutton FedEx iPhone selfie lifestyle and that has made us noncompetitive in the world, it’s part of what is making us drift downward and it also creates a kind of cancer of the soul. Industry brings us pride, it brings us depth, it brings discovery.

We Jam Econo - story of the great San Pedro band the Minutemen. I have not watched this version (I have the DVD), but it appears the entire movie is on youtube:

Another NOD favorite:

"Giant Clit or Small Dick. Who Cares? They Have Huge Tits"

Why you hatin'?:anguished:

I'm just gonna ignore aiw ruining my stellar rep ;) and list my fav docs from the collection in alphabetical order:

After Tiller
All Things Must Pass
American Pimp
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Baraka
Bonhoeffer
Blackfish
Born Rich
Boy Interrupted
Brother's Keeper
Bukowski Born Into This
Burden of Dreams
Burma VJ
Bus 174
Bush's Brain
Camp Hollywood
Capturing the Friedmans
Cocaine Cowboys
Comedian
Comic-Con Ep4
Common Threads
The Cove
Crumb
Dark Days
Dear Zachary
The Decline of Western Civilization Part I
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Don't Look Back
Empire of Dreams
The English Surgeon
Enron The Smartest Guys in the Room
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Friends of God
Gates of Heaven
The Gift
The Girl Next Door (air will love it, as it''s a doc re pron)
Going Clear:Scientology and the Prison of Belief
Grey Gardens
Grizzly Man
Hands on a Hard Body
Harlan County USA (awesomeness)
Harvard Beats Yale 29-29
Hearts of Darkness A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
High School
The Hollywood Complex
Hôtel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie
Imaginary Witness: Hollywood and the Holocaust
In the Year of the Pig
Indie Game
Inside Job
Into the Arms of Strangers, Stories of the Kindertransport
Jesus Camp
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
The King of Kong
Kippur
LaLee's Kin, The Legacy of Cotton
The Last Days
Last Days in Vietnam
The Last Mogul
The Last Waltz
Let There Be Light
Life Itself
The Look of Silence
Metallica Some Kind of Monster
Missing Allen
Monster Camp
Mr. Death: The Rise & Fall of Fred A. Leuchter Jr.
Murder on a Sunday Morning
Murderball
My Country My Country
Night and Fog
Nursery University
Of Men and War
Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos
One Bright Shining Moment
One Day In September
The One Percent
The Overnighters
Paradise Lost 1-3