Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentaries

Read this article:

Then watch this trailer:

It will only be out in the US on 12/27. The Durham/Chapel Hill theaters only have it at 1pm and 4pm, so I will miss it and I am sad.

I watched 'Tower' this past weekend, it was obviously very heavy, but a pretty original way of laying out a story. Interviews, archival footage and animation used by the filmmaker.

I've enjoyed the Ted Bundy docuseries on Netflix. Directed by Joe Berlinger, who was part of the team that did the Paradise Lost films.

I knew a little about Bundy, but this series really illuminates just how brazen and depraved he was. Really sick bastard.

Also watched Netflix's Fyre Festival thing. I wouldn't call it a great documentary by any means, but it's a fascinating yarn, even if you know most of the story in advance. Still nuts to watch it unfold. Haven't seen Hulu's Fyre production.

The Netflix doc is directed by Chris Smith, who is responsible for American Movie, which actually is one of the greatest documentaries of all time and should be seen by everyone.

I've been looking forward to the Ted Bundy one and can't wait to get into it. I'm glad to read a positive review of it.

I watched some of the Fyre Festival one with my wife. As someone who has done plenty of professional marketing and event planning, she was enthralled. I don't know exactly why, but it was so boring to me. I eventually gave up. I thought, "yeah, these guys are morons. What else do I need to know?" Possibly I was just an insufferable asshole for that evening. But only that evening.

Reactions: TS9
Sunderland Til I Die was fantastic even if you dont like soccer

Watched the first half of "Leaving Neverland" last night. If you're a documentary fundamentalist, this thing fails miserably, because it's blatantly one-sided.

However, to hell with giving the other side a chance to defend itself, because everyone knows that fucker did what these guys say he did. Understanding that, it's a pretty gutting experience, and very well made to boot. Looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Not sure if anyone here rock climbs, but two days ago what I consider to be perhaps the most incredible physical feat a human has ever accomplished took place.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...limbcapitan&utm_campaign=Content&sf84839219=1

Borrowing this @deeyoukayeee post from 2017 to advocate for the "Free Solo" documentary on this very topic that just won an Oscar. Watched the movie last night and it really is panic-inducing. This guy is a psychopath. There's a moment when he does something insanely dangerous while clinging to a nearly sheer rock face a half mile up in the air, and the fucking guy is calm enough to smile at a camera.

I'd recommend watching it on the largest screen you have available.

Watched the first half of "Leaving Neverland" last night. If you're a documentary fundamentalist, this thing fails miserably, because it's blatantly one-sided.

However, to hell with giving the other side a chance to defend itself, because everyone knows that fucker did what these guys say he did. Understanding that, it's a pretty gutting experience, and very well made to boot. Looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Did you ever finish it? I watched half of the first half... I thought it was interesting for a while, but then it seemed to just devolve into "and then I had sex with Michael Jackson here... Also, he has another room that was hidden in this house, and we had sex there. Oh yeah, and that little train station? Yeah, there's a hidden room upstairs and we would have sex there. Oh and then, down the hall, there was a little bed where we would have sex."

Does it just go on like that forever? I can't imagine watching three more hours of that.

Did you ever finish it? I watched half of the first half... I thought it was interesting for a while, but then it seemed to just devolve into "and then I had sex with Michael Jackson here... Also, he has another room that was hidden in this house, and we had sex there. Oh yeah, and that little train station? Yeah, there's a hidden room upstairs and we would have sex there. Oh and then, down the hall, there was a little bed where we would have sex."

Does it just go on like that forever? I can't imagine watching three more hours of that.

I did. I agree that the first half got a little tedious, with just the recollections of basically two guys and their mothers.

Part 2 brings in some other voices, particularly the two guys' current wives, and goes into the fallout of Jackson essentially getting caught and their struggle to cope with what went on. So I guess the overall tone and approach is the same in Part 2, but the subject matter changes and becomes less of a rehash of the abuse.

That said, if you weren't all that into Part 1, I'm not sure I'd necessarily recommend Part 2. It's different, but maybe not enough.

I've enjoyed the Ted Bundy docuseries on Netflix. Directed by Joe Berlinger, who was part of the team that did the Paradise Lost films.

I knew a little about Bundy, but this series really illuminates just how brazen and depraved he was. Really sick bastard.
I watched this one last week. I didn't know hardly anything about him, so it was definitely interesting to me. He was indeed quite sick and incredibly arrogant.

Abducted in Plain Sight was another fucked up one that had lots of WTF? or plain cringe-worthy moments.

The dad and neighbor's handjob scene for instance...

That family was almost as bad as the molester.
You know, I started out thinking that, but as I got deeper and deeper into the story, I came around to the position that her parents were/are "simple" people. It actually made it even more uncomfortable to watch.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom