Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

Trent is a career 33.5% 3pt shooter over 480 attempts in the DraftExpress database. It will take some work to put in him in better positions to be a good 3pt shooter.

Most definitely. Need him to hit those corner 3s to open things up. It would be nice if he was a competent team defender as well, but I'm more optimistic about his offence.
Isn't he an elite 3 point shooter? I was under the assumption that he, Trent and O'Connell are all above average 3 point shooters. Throw in Allen and I think we'll be ok.

I think you are correct that JT would be a very good to elite 3pt shooter. From what I can recall from a shot chart previously posted here (maybe in the Tucker thread?) he is a really good shooter from the corners, which is why I made that specific comment.

Re: the release of the full schedule - I have not seen that posted anywhere.

In the McD's competition he did well and looked to have very good form. I'd suspect that in HS he was the go to guy and took lower percentage shots out of necessity where at Duke this upcoming season I'd bet he will likely be the main guy people leave open. Winslow was a 30% shooter with 596 attempts and at Duke he was a 42% shooter. Now I don't think Trent will shoot 42% but I think he's a better shooter than Winslow and will be in the 35-38 range this year.

My guesses:

Allen 40% 200+ attempts
Tucker 38%-70 attempts
Trent 36%-120 attempts
Duval 30%-100 attempts
Bagley 30%-35 attempts

I just feel like it opens up the rest of his game if he can keep the defense honest from 3. I think 30% is doable and semi reliable.

In addition to Trent being overrated as a shooter, there's the fact that Tucker and O'Connell likely won't play much. That leaves two only good shooters on the floor most of the time. A typical Duke team has at least three and frequently four.

Going back to SM's excellent post about bad 3pt but good offense, I would say you might have to discount Gonzaga's typically very good 2pt % because they play a lot of shitty teams in conference. I would hope most top 15 teams would get better looks around the rim playing in that conference instead of the ACC or Big 12.

Cmon - I think your numbers are very hopeful. It'd be great if correct, but I think Winslow is more the exception than norm. A lot of freshman come in from HS and have trouble shooting, see Matt Jones (14%) or Luke Kennard (32%).

I don't think anyone can argue that this will be one of Duke's weaker perimeter shooting teams. I don't think it will be terrible though. Allen should be around 100 made threes and I think Trent is a better shooter than his numbers suggest, now that he will be trading in contested pull up 3's off the dribble to catch and shoot 3's that should be open. I guess it comes down to whether or not you think the coaching staff will maximize the offense. I do think they will be close rebounding 40% of their misses, which would be top 5 in the country. I also believe they will be difficult to stop in transition. K typically does let teams with a talented true PG, get out and run. The 2011 team with Irving was playing at a super fast pace before he got hurt. Lastly, I expect a lot of Bagley isos at the elbow, Carter isos on the low block, and tons of dribble hand offs and ball screens for Allen and Duval, meaning a shit ton of free throws.

I think part of my intrigue for next season is that I have no idea what to expect. This is not a typical Duke team. We have one great perimeter scorer that can rain in 3's, with a blazing fast ultra athletic point guard that can't shoot, a shooting guard who shoots on high volume, two very good and athletic big men that are very good rebounders but can't space out to the 3pt line, a big and athletic power forward off of the bench, and a sophomore center who was horrible last season and is a terrible rebounder. Think a UNC big man at Duke, but, is reportedly having an excellent off-season.

I don't know what this is going to look like but the unknown has me pretty excited.

I can't believe you guys are not penciling in Jack White for a few threes a game. He is going to make all of you regret forgetting about him.

I just hate we never got to see Jack vs. Stillman for the battle of the whites.

I doubt he'll do it, but this would be a good year to play some zone defense for spurts in every game. They have the length and rebounding to do it. It's another way to get your guys some rest while they're out on the court if they are going to play fast on offense, which they should with the relative lack of shooting and only having 3 guards.

2075-87Fr.jpg

Our savior(s).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back