Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

I'm not saying that Carter and Bagley are pure "back to the basket" players, but we're not talking about the typical "3 posing as a 4" that K likes to employ. We're talking about guys whose skills are largely 18 feet and in.

I think this sounds better than the alternatives (which are doing either Duval/big PNR or "take 'em, Grayson" every time down). Anything's better than all the standing around we've been doing. Plus, I'm in favor of anything that potentially adds some screens other than high ball screens and baseline screens for curling guards.

If Duval can't shoot, why would anyone close out on him?

Teams are going to close out on him. You won't just leave people wide open. It will be a short close out as opposed to long. He'll still win his one on one battle- most players won't contain him even on a short closeout without help.

I think this sounds better than the alternatives (which are doing either Duval/big PNR or "take 'em, Grayson" every time down). Anything's better than all the standing around we've been doing. Plus, I'm in favor of anything that potentially adds some screens other than high ball screens and baseline screens for curling guards.

It was just a few seconds but several times I saw Duke getting their bigs free at the FT line by using a weakside screen in the elbow/ft line area. I like it. Simple action and Bagley and Carter will score often there.

I'm not saying that Carter and Bagley are pure "back to the basket" players, but we're not talking about the typical "3 posing as a 4" that K likes to employ. We're talking about guys whose skills are largely 18 feet and in.

Yeah, I'm not yet sold on either being guys who can penetrate through traffic. It's much more a question of ballhandling that it is quickness.

They can make 1-2 dribble moves when there's space, sure, but you have to have a pretty tight handle to create from the perimeter at this level without turning it over constantly. Either that or you do the Matt Jones/Kyle Singler thing where you pick up your dribble 15 feet from the rim and commit way to soon to an awkward, loping, contested layup from like 8 feet to the right of the rim.

I think it's funny that K decides to run an offense featuring ball movement AFTER Kennard, Jackson, Tatum and Jones all leave.

I don't think it's unrelated to the first three leaving; all three of those guys were good at scoring in ISO. Now we need other ways to get guys free. Hopefully our motion offense doesn't just create outside looks, but should make it easier to get guys open cutting to the basket.

I agree but I think winning the title helped push guys out. No reason to stay. Tyus and/or Winslow may have come back if we didn't win it IMO.

I think it's funny that K decides to run an offense featuring ball movement AFTER Kennard, Jackson, Tatum and Jones all leave.

I don't think it's unrelated to the first three leaving; all three of those guys were good at scoring in ISO. Now we need other ways to get guys free. Hopefully our motion offense doesn't just create outside looks, but should make it easier to get guys open cutting to the basket.

It will. They were showing it in that 30 second video.

O'Connell looks like a random guy who won a contest to sit in the team photo.

Yeah, I always thought Jav was listed taller than he really is but he really looks like the second tallest guy on the team behind Vrank.

It's exciting to see a massive front court this year and by all accounts, these dudes should be ready to play.

Bolden 6'11 246
Vrank 7' 270
Carter 6'10 260
Bagley 6'11 235
Del 6'10 230

Yuge. White at 6'7 226 and Tucker 6'7 212 could play some Duke 4 as well. Massive team.

I would like to see a rotation of big men like the staff used in 2010. Bagley & Carter to start, Bolden & Javin to come in for meaningful minutes like the brothers Plumlee did. Vrank can get spot minutes or take someone's corner depending on effectiveness.

A guy can dream.

O'Connell looks like a random guy who won a contest to sit in the team photo.

At least O'Connell looks tall and lanky like a basketball player. We couldn't find a booster seat for the new walk-on on the right?

Also, Jack White is a good looking dude. Very little doubt most of this board would leave their current lives to run away with him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom