Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

Buggy? I worked in a grocery store in a little hick town and never heard a grocery cart called a buggy.

So how about that Duke team, guys???

I spent most of my childhood in South Carolina and no one called a grocery cart a buggy there, either.

And, um, Go Duke.

Ive heard buggy, but I say shopping cart. I definitely used to say toboggan until I left NC and no one knew what the hell I was talking about.

This thread has lost its shit, but here's this Kentuckian's experience:

The things in stores are "shopping carts."

"Buggies" are horse-drawn vehicles driven by the Amish.

This is fact

This thread has lost its shit, but here's this Kentuckian's experience:

The things in stores are "shopping carts."

"Buggies" are horse-drawn vehicles driven by the Amish.
I'm not sure I could trust anyone that believes different.

Porter being a NAD got me thinking about which Duke player injury would be most devastating to the team, since #1-8 on the list are all likely to suffer injuries. I believe we have a new #1 after seeing a few games this season.

1. Duval
2. Allen
3. Carter
4. Bagley
5. DeLaurier

IMO.

We could put Allen #1 because the team would be so poor with spacing and 3s without him. Then again, the team might crumble against defensive pressure like we saw against South Carolina without Duval. Regardless, consider this post a curse on Duval.

In the end, I just think Duval is an incredible player already and has a ton of room for improvement over the course of one season. Duval can improve on his 9% 3pt shooting, or he can simply stop shooting 3s. He's still going to break down any kind of defense whether they respect his shot or not (they won't).

I don't love Bagley and I love DeLaurier, but it's hard to argue with Bagley's stats in a much bigger role for Duke. Get his FT% up to mid-60s as it was in high school, and I think these two freshmen (Bagley and Carter) absolutely must be the best frontcourt in the country. Throw in DeLaurier, and I doubt there is any reasonable argument against Duke having the best 3-big rotation in the country.

Carter's BPM is 13.2. DeLaurier's is 12.4. For comparison, Okafor had a relatively monstrous BPM at Duke, at 10.9. DeLaurier's DBPM of 8.9 would be the highest in Duke history since sports-reference.com began tracking the stat in the 2010-11 season. Again, the caveat here is the relatively weak SOS so far. The numbers should be more reliable after the Indiana game.

It has to be Allen right? We lose him and we lose his 3 point scoring/scoring in general, his defense, hustle and we lose his leadership/voice on the court. The others can improve but the road is probably very bumpy without what Allen brings to the table.

IMO, Trent and AOC can likely cover better for Allen than any other of the top-5. If Wendell can stop fouling so damn much, he and Delaurier could likely handle a Bagley absence with Queef and Vrank as backups. I'd go:

1 - Duval
2 - Carter
3 - Allen
4/5 - Delaurier
5/4 - Bagley

Of course, I honestly think all five of these guys are solid to great NBA-type talents, so losing any is a huge blow. Jordan Tucker ain't walking through that door.

On that note though, it's probably unusual that we all seem to be in agreement in who our five most important/effective players are right now - yet those five are rarely all on the court together.

Javin-at-SF lineups have not looked pretty so far, but given K's ❤️ for "put your best five out there and figure it out", I wonder if such a lineup will ever find a place in this year. The most fun experiment might be a 3-2 with Bagley on the top.

Trent's being undervalued here. He's our best perimeter defender and can hit threes, and has the third-best +/- per 40.

There’s no other overall stat that would put Trent in the top 5, though. PER, WS/40, OBPM, DBPM, ORtg, DRtg all relatively poor on this team. It’s not a insult to say a certain player isn’t top 5 most valuable on this team when there are 5 monster players on it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back