Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

I think the team may be more steady with zone and Allen running the point. But I don't think the ceiling is the floor and I don't think a final four run would be likely.

I think mixing in defenses and trying to fix Doovowl gives us a much higher ceiling but likely more likely of an upset.

Honestly, zone and Allen I'd probably pencil us into the sweet 16. Try and fix Duval and the m2m and we could win the title but if neither are fixed we could lose in the second round. Weird team.

Syracuse is the only title winner I can think of that you could describe as a "zone team." And given how good a regular season coach Boeheim has been, you have to wonder if they would have had more titles if they'd had more defensive flexibility.

Maybe Nova played more zone in the tournament than I remember. I seem to remember the title game being straight man. You'd think against a mediocre shooting team like UNC they would have played zone. Could be misremembering, of course.

I seem to remember Louisville playing a lot of zone in that second half ass kicking they gave Duke in 2013, but I won’t bother to watch it again to see if that memory is correct. A shitty South Carolina team made the Final Four playing a matchup zone last year.

I think a good m2m is better than zone, but Duke doesn’t play good m2m. Maybe playing a lot of zone will help the m2m like K claims it did in 2015.

This has been an interesting string of games with Bagley sitting. It's like K needs these problems to solve, or he just mails it in.

Duke is playing with only 3 offensive threats on the floor when JMD plays for Bagley, and it's been refreshing watching K run baseline screens for Allen and Trent.

It's also great seeing Bolden and White step up and be valuable in every game. Loved Jack putting it on the deck and dunking it today.

It's obvious that the standard recipe against Duke is to be really physical against our freshmen, particularly Carter who gets fouled over and over. It was great to see Duke respond to Clemson, and Carter's late bucket was a big statement, IMO, that he understands how pjysical he needs to play in order to get his shots to go down.

Since 2002, only 2013 team (39.9%) has shot a better % from 3. Currently at 39.5%. This is a bit unexpected.

I switched all 4 games to losses for us. That is pretty much the only way we don't end up as a Thursday game in the ACCT.

If we lose to VT and win the other 3 and everything else plays out as expected, we will play Thursday night against Pitt/Miami/State with UNC/FSU/UL/Wake the next game.

So obviously we are greatly better in zone than in man, but I feel like we are going to get our ass kicked playing zone against UNC. They will offensive rebound well and have a bunch of guys capable of hitting from 3. If we had won the first game against UNC, I wouldn't mind just zoning them the whole game- this would then give Duke a great sample going forward into the NCAA Tournament on just how effective the zone is against teams really capable of busting it up. But since we lost the 1st game, it makes me pretty uneasy about playing zone the entire time.

So obviously we are greatly better in zone than in man, but I feel like we are going to get our ass kicked playing zone against UNC. They will offensive rebound well and have a bunch of guys capable of hitting from 3. If we had won the first game against UNC, I wouldn't mind just zoning them the whole game- this would then give Duke a great sample going forward into the NCAA Tournament on just how effective the zone is against teams really capable of busting it up. But since we lost the 1st game, it makes me pretty uneasy about playing zone the entire time.

I agree. Zone was so so so bad against them last time. However -- what if we stuck with the zone but tried to tailor personnel toward playing a bit smaller/quicker against them?

We would rebound even worse? Zone is just a bad strategy against UNC for once since they shoot 3s well along with having yet another great offensive rebounding team. They do have games where they go ice cold collectively. Duke will have to hope for one of those if the m2m is still that much worse than zone.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom