Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Bobby Hurley and his staff were ultra-active in the transfer market and it paid dividends. They added Carlton Bragg, who never lived up to expectations in two seasons at Kansas, but is a talented, skilled forward. They also added another forward in San Diego State's Zylan Cheatham, a Phoenix native who averaged 9.1 points and 6.3 boards as a redshirt sophomore last season. Plus, there is Cleveland State 6-foot-4 guard Rob Edwards, who put up 16.5 points a year ago and can shoot it from deep. All three will sit out and have two years left of eligibility.

Cheatham already put up very good rebounding rates, block rate, FT% for a big man, and overall numbers as a freshman/sophomore. Edwards was a 30% usage chucker as a sophomore, and his overall numbers are hurt by that. Good 3pt shooter on extremely high volume. I assume he'll have more of a spacer's role rather than being the focal point under Hurley, so he'll be a respectable junior/senior. Everyone is aware of the failed potential of Carlton "Bolden" Bragg thus far.

3 top 100 freshmen join the roster this season (1 was redshirted last season). I think Hurley starts putting out a 2nd tier product in the conference after this season and then contends for the conference title three seasons from now, which will be his Year 5. It would be nice to have a third option at Duke along with Collins and Wojo.

He has been a great addition to the staff. Nice to see him get some media love.

Assuming Nolan gets promoted in the next couple of years, he will be one hell of a recruiter, IMO.

If we can't get Brad Stevens or Collins to follow Coach K, my next call would be to Brey. I'm sure he would not accept the position (why leave ND after all of the success for so long there?) but Brey would be as good of hire as you could find post Coach K. He's 58 now, even if he was hired at 62 and, retired in 6 seasons, I would be fine with that.

If we can't get Stevens I'm really just looking to avoid a Brad Doherty situation. Just someone to keep the program in the national spotlight positively until a top coach is ready to come in.

I believe our Matt Doherty era is pretty much carved in stone. It would be...seismic...if Capel doesn't take over from K.

Personally, I'd rather have 3-4 years of Capel followed by a really good coach than 10+ years of Mike Brey. Brey will likely be good enough to not get fired, but we won't win anything under him either. He has gotten to the Elite Eight twice. That's fewer times than he has been in the NIT. And if we hate the offense/defense divide under K, we'll really hate it under Brey.

I would bet on Brad Stevens never coaching in college again. Might as well discuss the possibility of Greg Popovich or Rick Carlisle coming to Duke after K.

The negative with Collins is that he is good enough to get to the NBA after a few years. And then if Scheyer wants a path into NBA coaching, Collins would give it to him with an assistant job.

Paulus.

Are people seriously still hanging on to BS returning to college any time soon? He isn't returning to college or coaching at Duke for at least 10 years. He's got a very solid 5-7 years run at the most prestigious basketball gig there is. So IMO he isn't even considering college till 2024 and that's if the Celtics start plummeting. He's got the perfect job right now. He isn't giving that up to coach premadonna teenagers. Give me a fucking break. I love Duke but it's not the Boston Celtics for christs sake.

I agree Cam - even if things don't work out with the Celtics, he will have many other NBA opportunities. I cannot see Stevens returning to the college game.

Having said that - you still have to make an attractive offer for Stevens. I just can't see him accepting it.

Last edited:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...st-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

I didn't realize Scheyer was this highly respected. Guess we have a viable backup if Collins is coaching the Bulls or Bucks after Capel is fired.
So two former point guards from the state of Illinois have become our best options at replacing a former point guard from the state of Illinois. Not sure if it's a wonderful coincidence or a product of self-selection bias.

Moreover, I think we'll be in good hands. You know you're in relatively good shape when the best recruiter in College Basketball is your program's 3rd or 4th best option. I certainly wouldn't trade our realistic replacement options with UNC and Kentucky moving forward.

I don't care if Stevens is returning or not. It does no harm in offering him the position. 10 years, 120 million. If he denies it then move on. But it is absolutely worth offering.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom