Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Personally, I'd rather have 3-4 years of Capel followed by a really good coach than 10+ years of Mike Brey. Brey will likely be good enough to not get fired, but we won't win anything under him either. He has gotten to the Elite Eight twice. That's fewer times than he has been in the NIT. And if we hate the offense/defense divide under K, we'll really hate it under Brey.

Mike Brey has had a much better time recruiting since joining the ACC, which I can be noted by the best success of his career. If he came to Duke he would have access to even better talent than he's currently getting. Even if Brey were to go on the path that you mentioned, and kept Duke in the top 15-20, very competitive nationally, consistently making the second weekend- would that be a bad thing? I don't think it is. I like Capel, but I think his chance at big success is the same as big bust. I would rather take the safe play and keep the program doing well than having it nearly collapse like what happened to UNC.

I would also be in full support of hiring Quin Snyder, as well, although that is probably unlikely too. That would also probably make us a top 10 KP defense every year. Yes! He's only 50 and could probably give Duke a good 7-10 seasons.

What established coach is going to be the one to embrace the pressure of following Coach K? It's either going to be a young assistant coach or a young head coach with Duke blood. So basically Capel and Wojo are our two options since it seems like Collins doesn't want to follow Coach K.

Personally, I'd rather have 3-4 years of Capel followed by a really good coach than 10+ years of Mike Brey. Brey will likely be good enough to not get fired, but we won't win anything under him either. He has gotten to the Elite Eight twice. That's fewer times than he has been in the NIT. And if we hate the offense/defense divide under K, we'll really hate it under Brey.

Mike Brey has had a much better time recruiting since joining the ACC, which I can be noted by the best success of his career. If he came to Duke he would have access to even better talent than he's currently getting. Even if Brey were to go on the path that you mentioned, and kept Duke in the top 15-20, very competitive nationally, consistently making the second weekend- would that be a bad thing? I don't think it is. I like Capel, but I think his chance at big success is the same as big bust. I would rather take the safe play and keep the program doing well than having it nearly collapse like what happened to UNC.
I wouldn't be satisfied at by that outcome. Duke can hire the best available coach on the market. They won't do it, because of in-house loyalty, but a few terrible years will get us there faster. OTOH, if they have go through a decade of meaningless "non-elite, but pretty good" years, I think their brand diminishes somewhat.

And best case is that Capel is actually good. We don't really have much evidence one way or the other that he hasn't improved under K. Losing to NC State in one of his few games as Duke head coach doesn't really mean anything as far as I'm concerned. It won't even mean anything if he struggles his first season. Transitional periods are historically hard.

I would also be in full support of hiring Quin Snyder, as well, although that is probably unlikely too. That would also probably make us a top 10 KP defense every year. Yes! He's only 50 and could probably give Duke a good 7-10 seasons.

What established coach is going to be the one to embrace the pressure of following Coach K? It's either going to be a young assistant coach or a young head coach with Duke blood. So basically Capel and Wojo are our two options since it seems like Collins doesn't want to follow Coach K.
I suppose that one is possible if the Jazz struggle and his firing timeline coincides with K's retirement. Still not sure why he'd go back to college though. Seems like he'd still have NBA value.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...st-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

I didn't realize Scheyer was this highly respected. Guess we have a viable backup if Collins is coaching the Bulls or Bucks after Capel is fired.
So two former point guards from the state of Illinois have become our best options at replacing a former point guard from the state of Illinois. Not sure if it's a wonderful coincidence or a product of self-selection bias.

Moreover, I think we'll be in good hands. You know you're in relatively good shape when the best recruiter in College Basketball is your program's 3rd or 4th best option. I certainly wouldn't trade our realistic replacement options with UNC and Kentucky moving forward.[/QUOTE
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...st-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

I didn't realize Scheyer was this highly respected. Guess we have a viable backup if Collins is coaching the Bulls or Bucks after Capel is fired.
So two former point guards from the state of Illinois have become our best options at replacing a former point guard from the state of Illinois. Not sure if it's a wonderful coincidence or a product of self-selection bias.

Moreover, I think we'll be in good hands. You know you're in relatively good shape when the best recruiter in College Basketball is your program's 3rd or 4th best option. I certainly wouldn't trade our realistic replacement options with UNC and Kentucky moving forward.

Kentucky is an interesting one, because if Cal leaves, there is no way whomever they bring in will recruit as well as he has. I think Cal would like to go to the NBA to try and prove he can do it at that level. However, I do think it would take a huge payday, probably GM control and a decent roster to begin with.

Everything I've heard is Duke is going to keep it in the family. Stevens supposedly has and had no interest in having to recruit, that's a big reason he will stay in the NBA. Seems like it's going to end up being Wojo, Capel or Collins to replace K. I guess an outside chance Scheyer is a possibility if K ends up coaching another 5+ years. I can't tell if K is going to stay around way past what everyone thinks and go to his late 70's or if he will just retire somewhat out of nowehere at the end of this year or next.

I think UNC is the dangerous one. I don't think their recruiting has a ton to do with the academic scandal. It's more so that guys aren't getting to the league quickly enough and I've heard that their coaching staff is one of the laziest, weakest recruiting staffs out there. Obviously, it's worked out well for them with this McDonald's All Americans playing 3-4 years, but this will be the last year for that. Ole Roy is going to have some very weak rosters the next few years as a result of his poor recruiting. I wonder how long he will see that through. I would be very worried about an enthusiastic coach, that's a good recruiter. Greg Marshall or Shaka Smart would both be obvious candidates, that could do a lot of damage at UNC.

Regarding UK, Calipari is only 58. I wonder how much of what we hear about Cal's NBA aspirations is mere rumor and fan conjecture. If he stays at UK, they should be good to very good for the next 12 years or more. I know we're talking about these programs' future going forward, but it's worth pointing out that UK may have to deal with this problem much later than Duke or UNC. Who knows what the hell college basketball will look like in 12 years, let alone who the up-and-coming great coaches will be and whether they will be available or have interest in UK.

I don't care if Stevens is returning or not. It does no harm in offering him the position. 10 years, 120 million. If he denies it then move on. But it is absolutely worth offering.

I agree with the big offer. I just think he is in the pros to stay.

2023 will make or break him. He'll have to replace a fired Capel and a retiring Cutcliffe.

Good get. Fringe top 100 (currently 97 composite). Collins should be able to contend for the conference title every season if he pulls in 2 fringe 100 recruits every class.

Here's something no one's mentioned as a possibility. Nepotism. Mike White.
Nepotism maybe, but he's also a good coach. Led UF to the E8, which is as far as Juicy took a very talented OU team. Last year's UF team was very experienced though, so it will be interesting to watch how they do this year with some relatively weaker recent recruiting classes.

Much of this is incoherent or unintentionally Dwight Schrute-esque.

Krzyzewski and other college basketball coaches continue to maintain that college basketball isn't broken, but that it needs wholesale changes.
It also doesn't mean that it's necessarily the tip of some iceberg. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think the iceberg is really good.
How do we figure that all out, and who figures it out? There is no who, there is a group called the who but they don't figure out this particular thing.
We try and put a circle into a square, that's what men's college basketball is. It's not a bad circle, it's a great one, but it can't be done like a square.
The biggest thing you can pull on -- I wish our president would understand this -- is economic pressure, he said. You don't have to destroy everybody. You can make them hurt with economic pressure, and we've got to be careful about those things. This is a great game.

If you put those quotes in the politics thread, I would have thought it was Trump.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom