Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Here is an interesting quote from Coach K in a recent interview:

or a program it’s a little bit different. I’ve been here 38 years. What I’ve tried to do for succession, is make sure this thing has been funded the right way. So in, around 2000 we created a fund to help endow our program. Well, we’ve endowed our program. Every scholarship, coaching salary, manager, it’s all endowed already. We built a practice facility with that money. We’re going to hopefully build something else. A locker room and training complex here eventually.

I would hope that when my time comes that it’s someone who has played here and has worked for me. And we have a lot of people, including the guys who are on the staff now, where they would understand Duke. And understand the history. They don’t have to do things how we do it. But like what Pop said, ‘I understand the culture of USA basketball.’ Now he might run a whole different offense, defense, or how he does training camp, but he understands culture. And that’s what we would like to continue. It’s been a culture of a university, athletic department, and a basketball program working together. The president, the (athletic director) and myself have been a team. That’s been continuous. And we want it that way going forward. And I think there’s a better chance of it happening that way if someone who has been here would be that person.

And I don’t think I’ll be the person who names that, because that’s not right. But that would be my wish. And then we would stay here, not in the locker room here, in some type of emeritus, ambassador role, not just to help Duke basketball, but to help the university. So I believe in it. I’ll help that person in whatever way I can when the time comes. But right now I’m trying to figure out how we can play a helluva lot better defense than what we do. Which isn’t very good right now.

Well that confirms what we’ve always known: K will have huge input on the choice of the next coach; consequently, the next coach will be one of K’s guys; K will influence the next coach instead of stepping away; and Duke will really suck for a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "played here and worked for me" limits the field to 11 guys (without regard for likelihood):

Johnny Dawkins
Jay Bilas
David Henderson
Tommy Amaker
Quin Snyder
Chris Collins
Jeff Capel
Steve Wojciechowski
Nate James
Jon Scheyer
Nolan Smith

I would bet the house on Capel. He's on staff already and will continue acquiring players like a mad man. I don't think Collins or Wojo could do that.

My dream is Bobby Hurley but it's going to be Capel.

Snyder, but he'd have to get fired by the Jazz first. The most proven coach of the group and a hell of a recruiter in his own right.

Snyder is obviously ideal but that won't happen. Although it would really be amazing.

It's going to either be Capel, Wojo or Collins. We all knew this, but yeah.

If it's anyone but Capel at this point, I'd be shocked.

The question is who joins the staff. You gotta think Scheyer, Smith and James stay, ya?

My order of preference:

- Snyder
- Collins
- Scheyer
- Capel (not as pessimistic about him as others are)
- Wojo
- Hurley

Don't care after that.

It’s happening. K is coming out of his 6-year coma.

You want the best talent. They want to go pro ASAP. They don’t get or take to your defense for whatever reason.

That’s all fine. It’s fixable with this solution: Play a defense they get and do well. Now, finally, we are there.

I still think that the man defence shown against Pitt & Wake may be useful depending on the opponent. Regardless of that - tonight was the best defensive effort in a while.

That’s all fine. It’s fixable with this solution: Play a defense they get and do well. Now, finally, we are there.

In part because it took about that long this season for them to "get" even a 2-3 zone. Tonight was the first time it looked effective at minimizing 3pt attempts, which is kinda important.

That makes sense if your stance is “Duke shouldn’t switch to zone as the primary defense until it’s perfect, not just when it’s much, much better than man.”

This is from earlier this season:

This is from near the end of last season:

Sometimes it’s ok to not be contrarian and just accept that the coaching has been idiotic in this regard for years.

Your average college basketball fan believes the zone is useless because any good team will shoot 90% on open jumpers from the FT line:

The number is something less than 40% on open midrange jumpers in the NBA. If Duke were to allow 0.8 points per possession every game from now on, they would coast to a national title. Their worst offensive performance this season was 0.97 ppp against Virginia.

The reason I felt leaving the middle open was problematic was because in addition to the open shots it was also leading to drives to the rim for VT. Duke seemed to tighten this up in the 2nd half

Old school guys like Hubie tonight or Raftery vs UVA always complain about that FT jumper being left open. That’s exactly what we want to opponent to shoot. I mean, ideally Duke would never give up any open shots anywhere, but let’s be realistic. I swear the only times Duke collapsed down on that guy in the middle, they were burned by a kick out to an open made 3. Even if the opponent wants to drive from there, forcing them to drive into Carter is better than giving up wide open 3s or playing man and letting them drive with Carter away from the basket.

The problem will be defensive rebounding which is why I think we’ll definitely want Bagley back if we’re going to be a zone team. Hopefully he’ll not fuck up the rotations like he did vs UVA.

Coach K said after the game that: "You're going to see a lot more zone going forward. It's our primary defense complimented by man and some pressing. VT is a tough team to press"

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom