Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2017-2018 Discussion

I really am beginning to think the Miami lateral game broke Cut and the Duke football program.

From 2013-2015, prior to that game, Duke went 25-9. Since? 10-16, and likely to only get worse before this season mercifully ends.

This season--just keeps trending worse as it unfolds.

BC hammers FSU.
Pitt hammers UVa
Wake beats Louisville

What a huge opportunity lost. Every team on our schedule was beatable.

Northwestern's loss to Duke will be a massive blot on their resume this year.

Thankfully, UNC is somehow much, much worse than Duke this year.

Another great stat: Duke is 3-16 in their last 19 ACC games (since Miami fuckup). Two of those wins against UNC.

Changes are definitely needed.

So I was reading about bowl scenarios and apparently it is very unlikely that there will be slots available for 5-7 teams this year.

Looks like Master Cutcliffe will have to beat Wake, or no bowl again this year.

This was his response to me telling him his analogy made no sense.

Shaun Wilson plays an incredible bowling pin there. Serious dedication to his craft.

Now that the regular season is officially in the books I figured I'd share my thoughts on the season so far. It was huge to get the win today and make it back to a bowl game, otherwise all the momentum we'd built from 2012-2015 would have been lost. 5 bowls in 6 years now after 2 in the previous 51, not bad.

However, even though most of us predicted a record of around 6-6 going into the season, and I am thrilled that we reached that mark, it does feel like a bit of a disappointment. This team had the talent to win at least 8 and possibly even 10 games had the breaks gone our way. The Pitt and Army losses were disgusting, UVA and FSU were unfortunate but not terrible, while Miami and VT were expected.

The coaching and execution on the offensive side of the ball was atrocious during the six game losing streak. Didn't play to our strength, running the football with Brown and Wilson, and passed way too often, putting an excessive burden on our future first round NFL QB. Zac Roper was a liability calling plays. I don't think its a coincidence that the offense averaged 37 a game after Cut supposedly got more involved in the play calling, after having averaged 11 a game during the losing streak. He needs to be gone, and the WR and OL coaches (both first-time, former graduate assistants) probably should be let go as well as both positions also struggled mightily.

Not many complaints about the defense, it was probably the best it's been in the Cutcliffe era. Only gave up more than 30 points once while dealing with an impotent offense for much of the year. Special teams were a mixed bag. Field goal kicking was actually solid after being an utter disaster last year, but punting and punt returns were both bad. Need significant improvement there going forward.

Winning the AutoParts Bowl in Detroit in front of 7,000 people to end the year on a three game winning streak would provide another nice boost. I do think the program is in a good place (couldn't say that two weeks ago), with lots of talent returning on both sides of the ball. With a few staff changes, another year of improvement from Jones, and some receivers who aren't slow and/or saddled with penis fingers, next year could be really good. Or could end 4-8 with Cut retiring.

Last edited:
I'm with you DFL. Roper should go, or at the least the play calling should be taken out of his hands. Knowles does a solid DC job. DJ just needs some help on offense. He has 3rd and long and he tries so hard to extend drives he puts the ball in a precarious position to be picked or dropped. But the receivers need to be better next season. And I've bitched over and over about not throwing to our TE. Every team Duke faces wants to blitz and by shooting a TE down the seam a middle LB has to help cover him. That gives DJ a clean pocket chance. Duke has a ton of experience returning next season. Anything less than 8 wins is a disappointment next season.

We can pay you more than Duke pays Coach K

Cutcliffe becomes interested.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back