Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke v. Cincinnati - December 27th @ 6:30 PM

It's no secret I'm not very into football, Duke or otherwise. Still, I got sucked into this game due to its historical importance for Duke. And it ended pretty much like every Duke football game I've ever tried to watch.

You guys are better fans than I am. I genuinely admire your commitment in the face of such brutal torture. I think I'll stick to the basketball team where the worst thing that happens is an early tournament flameout after another 30-win season. To wait that long for a bowl game and to come that close to winning it only to have it end that way...just, fuck that.

WorldStar HipHop said:
dukeyeahdukeyeah.0_standard_730.0.gif
On top of the overall yardage and being downed at the one, the exact bounces of that punt were incredible. The announcers kept making reference to how it flirted w/ the sideline inside the 20, but what was most amazing to me was how it just started going sideways around the one so we could catch up to down it. It did a complete 90 degree turn and just died there.

And then we wasted it.

I almost had tears rolling down my eyes as I watched the perfect stall ball drive take almost 5 minutes off the clock. A friend of mine at the game with me (not a Duke fan) was trying to convince me the game was over. He almost had me, but the inherent sense of foreboding never left me and then the fumble happened.

I truly can't remember a better executed drive in my Duke watching history than that game winning, less than 1% chance of blowing it drive. I then had to walk, alone, back to my car about 1.5 miles away in the ball-freezing cold and drive back to Durham.

I never got too upset, though, because that fumble was pre-ordained.

I did not watch the game, because I just couldn't. I went into chat twice. First time, Duke turned it over and then got burned on a 2 play touchdown drive. Second time I went into chat, after seeing we had the ball at the 5 with a minute to go, Duke fumbles.

Question: Did Cincy have any timeouts? Could Duke have just kneeled twice and kicked a FG there?

They still had 2 left at the time of the fumble.

I'm still depressed, we had a chance to show out big on the national stage and instead showed the country that we are still, epically, Duke.

aiw said:
A friend of mine at the game with me (not a Duke fan) was trying to convince me the game was over. He almost had me, but the inherent sense of foreboding never left me and then the fumble happened.
Life as a Duke football fan. I was watching the game at DevilsRock's (from TDD) place, and he was pumped after that pass to Vernon set us up with 1st and goal. He is trying to high-five me and saying, "Come on, man! Get excited!" I just turned and said, "I'm just wondering how we're going to blow this." His wife thought I was being dramatic.

"At least we had the UNC game..." pretty much captures this football season and last year's basketball season for me.

I'm not angry anymore. Let's get an easy 4th out of conference opponent for next year, get at least two conference wins, go bowling.

Rollins said:
I'm not angry anymore. Let's get an easy 4th out of conference opponent for next year, get at least two conference wins, go bowling.

Really? Do you think that the large amount of $$$ being raised and invested into Duke Football is saying the same as you? I believe that for the first time in half a century that the administration is going to improve Duke Football just as much as it improved Duke Basketball. True, the basketball program was a bit better off when Coach K came, but improvement was needed. The recruiting has to improve and the fans need to turn out. Then it will be big time bowling for Duke.

dukeofcalabash said:
Rollins said:

Really? Do you think that the large amount of $$$ being raised and invested into Duke Football is saying the same as you? I believe that for the first time in half a century that the administration is going to improve Duke Football just as much as it improved Duke Basketball. True, the basketball program was a bit better off when Coach K came, but improvement was needed. The recruiting has to improve and the fans need to turn out. Then it will be big time bowling for Duke.

Getting to another bowl game will be beneficial to everything you just mentioned. I was just as speechless as anyone after yesterday but I think Duke can be better next year.

But 4 winnable games is what we need every year. Duke gets enough top 25 competition with conference opponents. Not getting to a bowl next year will be disappointing and a step backwards in the minds of many.

Who do we play next year?

I guess my expectations are quite a bit more modest than most people's. I just want them to avoid 0-8 in conference play and beat Wake every now and then. I accept it as a given that Duke will lose games in diabolical fashion and just consider it my sports penance.

physicsfactor said:
I don't think I can watch next season if the defense isn't much improved. Holy ****, they blow.
The defense played well for 1 quarter and then played well in spurts.

We'll need 4 quarters of that next year. That's the next step.

This game proved to me that our offense can hold up against good teams. Cincy is nothing to sneeze at. They are one of 4 or 5 programs to have won at least 10 games every season the last 5 seasons. (The others are Alabama, Oregon, etc.) And yet, we didn't look outmatched on offense.

If the running game can be somewhat close to what it was in this bowl game, then Duke is set on offense. Just keep improving the OL. It'll also help to have a borderline dual-threat in Boone be the QB. Cincy's QB Kay was able to scramble for multiples 1st downs from 3rd and long and those killed us. Hope Boone can do the same next year.

Literally turned to my cousin when Duke had it inside the ten and commented - only half tongue in cheek - that this was going to make the awful collapse and inevitable loss that much more terrible. And then... of course. I can't even bring myself to talk about the actual game yet.

Anyway, overall, probably encouraging for next year. Running game should see a big boost from the spread option and real, blocking TEs, and our front seven only graduates one backup and gets guys like Kelby Brown back, o-line loses one and will be a veteran group. We'll have a couple of studs in the secondary, but we'll also be banking a lot on underclassmen, which is scary. WR could be anywhere from NFL caliber to disastrous, depending on whether Nash and Blakeney realize how awesome they should be on paper.

My main hope is that the game was still a positive for recruiting. The team looked great on primetime ESPN for 58:24, and got a lot of press in the aftermath, so that's good. Sad way to end the season though, especially coupled with the November losing streak. I hope we didn't lose too much momentum.

We got a month of practice in. I know some of those guys are gone, but that month is huge.

I kinda think every team should be able to practice until the bowls are over. Creates a disadvantage for the teams that need all the help they can get just to get to 6 wins the next year.

WTF is this 'Duke losing fans and support' thread on the premium football board?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom