Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

Closed Account 1

Recruit
Closed Account
Since Durham's the home of Duke Basketball and we often get questions about where to stay, eat, drink and what Durham's like, here's a thread for that.

Post your best-of and worst-of Durham things.

Lodging:
Washington Duke Inn - if you have ever been hankering to sleep at a country club, this is where you should go.
21C Durham - Good modern hotel in an old bank with a cool art gallery and overpriced bar.
The Durham - Great rooftop bar.

Eating: moderate priced places in Durham that are great
Saltbox - great seafood brought in daily from the NC coast. Open from lunch until they run out.
Burger Bach - Can attest to their Lamb Burger. Tasty. Good beer selection.
Pizzeria Toro- Don't know how I overlooked this, considering this is usually my first meal when I come back from AFG.
Nanataco- You should definitely do this. Get one of the spicy Mexican chocolate milkshakes (blend it with the roasted plantain)
Luna Rotisserie and Empanadas - Can't believe I forgot this place. Downtown. Pulled Jackfruit / plantain sandwich. Great empanadas.

Brunch:
Monuts- For the morning after your game before you leave. Get a donut, but also don't sleep on their breakfast sandwich game.
Rise - No seating, but great biscuits and donuts.
Foster's Market - Market with lots of good food options. Kind of brunch/lunch/bfast. Lite bourgeois shopping.
Parker & Otis - Basically like Foster's, only it's in Brightleaf Square near downtown.
Gugelhupf- Good continental bakery.

Fancy Feasts:
Watt's Grocery - Never been. Supposedly great.
The University Club- Never been. Members only.
Yamazushi Japanese - Best sushi I have ever had. Pricey, unusual experience.
Panciuto - Farm to table southern Italian food? Gets great reviews. Is in Hillsborough.

Desserts:
The Parlour - Great ice cream. Get the salted caramel.
Locopops- Reasonably famous artisan popsicles.
Mad Hatter's - Café with good bakery.
Francesca's - Gelato and bakery. Not what it once was, but still good.

Drinking:
Alley Twenty-Six- Fun concoctions. With alcohol!
Fullsteam Brewery
Surf Club - Pretty nice place to knock back a few. thewiseben/Rome approved.
Motorco - Music. Foodtrucks are here most evenings.
Geer Street Garden - Also really good food every meal other than Brunch.
Bull City Burger and Brewery - Decent burgers, better beer.
Durty Bull - hole in the wall place specializing in sour beers.
Bar Virgile - another fancy cocktail place.

Things to Do:
NC Museum of Life and Science - Lemurs, science, butterflies, Dinosaur Trail, Santa Train, good times.
Duke Lemur Center - Largest collection of prosimians outside of Madagascar. SCIENCE!
Durham Performing Arts Center - One of the most famous performance venues on the East Coast. Book far in advance.
Durham Central Park - Farmer's market, all kindsa shenanigans.
Carolina Tiger Rescue - Big cats. SCIENCE!!!

Last edited:
21c is the best place to stay. Great restaurant, The Counting House, on the first floor, cool/weird art museum stuff and right downtown so you can walk to a bunch of the places you mentioned.

Add Bar Virgile to your alcoholic concoctions list.

Haven't stayed at The Durham, but same deal as 21c.

The only place on that list I've been is Bull City Burger and it was pretty solid.

Over on the Southpoint side of things, Rise is a pretty good donut option as well.

There are about 10 Rises now, including one downtown.

Pizzeria Toro is pretty fucking awesome.
Nanataco for tacos.
Scratch for weekend brunch.

Wiseben already mentioned Surf Club for drinking, but that's probably my favorite bar.

I stayed at The Durham this year- it was nice. Good rooftop bar.

Exact opposite vibe as WaDuke- both are great in their own way.

List anything you can think of. Now that I'm settling in more I'll need some places to explore. I'm in Brier Creek so any Raleigh places you guys like would be cool too.

thewiseben said:
You guys feel free, I'll be back in America in June or something.

ETA: Put Rome's updates into the OP.

Do we also want to list the fancy places like Nana's?

I'll list ya a some medium to fancy places:

Mateo: tapas, Main Street, James Beard nominated, awesome
Counting House: in 21c hotel
Dashi: Fancy ramen, weird Japanese bar upstairs at night, Chapel Hill Street
Juju: from the makers of Jujube in Chapel Hill, Asian fusion tapas, 9th Street
Gocciolina: the only really nice place north of 85. Italian, small, need way in advance reservations, can get out of there (sans alcohol) with a date for $40. Best value in town
Nana's of course
Revolution: Main Street, small and large plates, tasting menu
Four Square: in a house, American
Lucia: former new Pop's location (old Pop's is now Lily's Pizza (awesome)) on Main Street, awesome Italian food
Watt's Grocery: 9th street, across the lot from the Green Room, southern, regional food
The Durham restaurant: haven't been there, but Andrea Reusing Lantern fame
Vin Rouge: French, 9th Street
Rue Cler: French, Chapel Hill Street

There are more that I need to think about, but I would eat at all of them every day if I could but I'd be broke

University Club isn't that great and you have to be a member (I am (we get it, you're NOD)). Usually there for work stuff. Membership came with PDC/Duke employmeny.

Would change kids to "Things to do" or something like that.

Also, put The Parlour somewhere

Ponysaurus is another cool brewery to hang out at, but I love the vibe at Fullsteam

Probably could have gotten the links for you, but I'm lazy, so fuck off.

thewiseben said:
Also, should you feel like you want to know more about it, I happen to know a few good books on Durham's history.

Shameless plugs for my Dad's books:
Durham Tales
Durham: A Bull City Story

Other great Durham Books: (taking suggestions)
Durham County: A History of Durham County, North Carolina - Super comprehensive history.

I didn't know your dad was a writer. I will definitely be checking these out.

thewiseben said:
Thai Café - As good as Asian food gets in the Durham. If you want better Asian food, you pretty much have to go to Cary.

Hong Kong on Guess Road has the best non-Chinatown Dim Sum I've had in America. Gotta go early on the weekends if you want to get a table, but it is definitely worth the wait. Do not order their standard fare Chinese takeout menu items, though. No point in doing that. The fried noodle dishes are a good complement go with the dim sum.

Also, I'm partial to the brisket and sides from Backyard BBQ Pit. Actually prefer them to Q Shack.

Please point out Durham's best 3 AM convenience store hot dogs with cheese sauce, because I know the TDF meet and greet will be needing that shit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom