Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

WHAT?

Between this and the baseball team winning, I don't even recognize this school anymore.

this one is tough. lot of great memories at the downtown one. my parents have memories from when it started in lakewood shopping center.

there wasn't much of a sportsbar scene to begin with downtown and now durham's down a staple.

I honestly had completely forgetten it was there.

Brightleaf is in a weird spot these days. It's still really nice, but I just never think about it as an option for where to go, for whatever reason. Maybe it'll pick up with the Duke crowd a little more with that gigantic apartment complex being built right next door.

Thai@Main Street in the old Dame's space (moving to Central Park area for more room) just opened. Owned by Bankok 54 people. Ate level 5 Thai fried rice. Lips and mouth burning, but didn't sweat too much. Doesn't seem as spicy as Bankok 54, though last time I ate a 5 there, it took an hour for the stomachache to build.

Nice. Is it actually good though? One thing the Durham area has suffered from is a total lack of good Asian food.

if you ever have the choice to get something "Thai spicy," don't. And I am someone who loves spicy food.

I enjoyed it.

Have you ever been to Hong Kong Dim Sum on Guess Road? Seemed like authentic Chinese food to me, but I got a hair in my food, so can't go back.

if you ever have the choice to get something "Thai spicy," don't. And I am someone who loves spicy food.
I did. Wasn't as hot as the stuff at Bankok 54. I think they shortchanged me. The first time, I went to Bankok 54, they refused to even give me a 4/5. Racist.

i love Hong Kong. Believe @dkst0426 is also a big fan.

My grandfather used to insist on eating there every time he came to visit. This was back in the early '90s.

Specifically, I haven't been able to find good Thai. Thai is probably my favorite cuisine (with authentic Mexican food being second). So it's nice to hear there's something now.

Chinese restaurants in the area that I have tried and enjoyed, in order of preference:

Szechuan Heat (off 55, a little south of Durham - highly recommend the "suan cai yu" - I can provide the Chinese characters later when I'm on a computer with Chinese input method)
Taipei 101 (Cary)
Taipei Cafe (Cary)

IMO they are all legitimately pretty good in terms of "authentic" Chinese/Taiwanese food.

I'd kill for a place with good Taiwanese beef noodle soup. It's fine at Taipei Cafe, but not that great.

Also I really want to find a decent Vietnamese restaurant in the area, if anyone has any recommendations they would be appreciated.

Sadly, the pretty good Vietnamese place on Guess Road closed on down and was replaced by some of the worst "Thai" food I have ever had.

If you want great Vietnamese, go to Charlotte.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back