Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

I was in Durham from 05-07. Every time I read about how cool it is now, I still have trouble believing.

The biggest drawback is how fucking expensive it is to live there now. I naively thought I would save money moving back if my girlfriend gets into grad school at Duke or UNC. But rent is just as expensive as Chicago (without the benefit of being in a huge city). Chapel Hill is actually more affordable, which certainly did not use to be the case.

We’re looking to move from Bahama to Durham city and rome is right, it’s expensive as fuck.

They are building a new condo/apt building attached to Brightleaf. I just looked up the prices and it’s $650,000 for a 1330 sqft condo with 2 bed and bath. Trinity Park houses are up over $200/sqft se houses are so old that I think a bunch will be tear downs.

Who is living in these places? Zion Williamson?
Buyers, whose ages range from 25 to 75, include Durham residents, graduates of local universities and a parent of a Duke University student who is a “major league business owner” out of Hong Kong.

“He wants to invest in Durham,” Hills said.

Another buyer from Singapore owns a local software company and has been staying at the 21c Museum Hotel one week a month. The Hills have also purchased a unit.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/durham-news/article94045807.html

Durham was such shit when I was there and every time I go back it gets better and better.

We are entering a Golden Age of American cities, IMO. From Manhattan to Seattle to even non-traditional residential areas like downtown Los Angeles, everything is expensive as fuck. I think two huge things are making it happen: 1. younger people on the whole are not racist and more open to different cultures and desire polychrome work, live, and play environments. 2. international capital from emerging markets is flooding American cities because they are extremely safe investments.

I am baffled by the glut of luxury apartments in Durham. Every time I go there, another 3-5 buildings are going up. It seems like the only people who would want to live in them (and could also afford to) would be childless young professionals. I know Durham has more of those than many places, but how many can there possibly be? Most of these buildings are 90% empty and yet they keep getting built. I am hoping there will be some good deals by desperate rental companies by the time I move there.

M Kokko was a slam dunk. I was really impressed with the ramen - by far the best in Durham, and the pork buns were excellent as well. My wife enjoyed the chicken sandwich, too. Need to try M Sushi next.

Moving from Bahama to Brier Creek. Fuck Yeah. Still counting that as Durham as my commute to Duke will be 20 minutes shorter.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back