Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

The best burger in NC is at Hops in Greensboro. It has even made national lists. Unfortunately, it is always an hour wait to eat there.

Coming to town for my 10 year reunion. I'm hoping some of my friends will visit some of the establishments mentioned here with me tomorrow night.

I'm doing a pedal pub early tomorrow morning to set the tone for the rest of the weekend. Playing golf at the WaDuke Sunday morning. I haven't been back in a couple of years so looking forward to seeing all the changes on campus and around town.

Not sure what to think of all of this. On the one hand, I feel like the employees are kind of dumbasses and probably deserve to learn that lesson the hard way. I run a cafe and my only limitations to the music are that it not be profane. There's no racial tinge to that. And if you want to argue that it is racist, then it just feels like you're practicing a condescending kind of cultural relativism: "it's okay that your music is profane because it's black music and therefore we can't judge it."

On the other hand, I don't feel like the employees should have been fired. Simply told not to play clean music in the future. But who did the firing? I don't really see a clear explanation of that. If it's Joe Van Gogh who did it, then their move to cut ties with Duke is a hypocritical PR stunt. If it came from the Duke administration, then I understand Joe Van Gogh's response.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/nort...cle_ac860d89-41fd-5284-8bbb-2697a2b3a979.html

The best burger in NC is at Hops in Greensboro. It has even made national lists. Unfortunately, it is always an hour wait to eat there.
They just opened one of Franklin Street this week!!! Pumped.

Not sure what to think of all of this. On the one hand, I feel like the employees are kind of dumbasses and probably deserve to learn that lesson the hard way. I run a cafe and my only limitations to the music are that it not be profane. There's no racial tinge to that. And if you want to argue that it is racist, then it just feels like you're practicing a condescending kind of cultural relativism: "it's okay that your music is profane because it's black music and therefore we can't judge it."

On the other hand, I don't feel like the employees should have been fired. Simply told not to play clean music in the future. But who did the firing? I don't really see a clear explanation of that. If it's Joe Van Gogh who did it, then their move to cut ties with Duke is a hypocritical PR stunt. If it came from the Duke administration, then I understand Joe Van Gogh's response.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/nort...cle_ac860d89-41fd-5284-8bbb-2697a2b3a979.html

Duke says JVG decision, JVG says Duke forced them to do it. I don't believe Duke.

I thought the person working at the coffee shop responded appropriately. She turned off the music, apologized, and offered to comp the drink. I imagine she'll be more careful in the future. The reality is that this person probably had a playlist on that shuffled to an inappropriate song and she didn't even notice because she was busy doing her job. Give me a break. She probably makes like $8/hour.

I also doubt it was racially motivated. Some people in positions of power just get off on exerting their dominance on the powerless over meaningless shit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back