Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eating Crow at TDD football board

dcdevil

Role Player
There was an interesting (to me) post on the TDD about eating crow on the TDD after Duke's glorious win over UNC. Of course, John and AgDevil prevented any naysayers from being criticized and shut down the thread. However, I saved it (knew it would probably get nuked) and posted it on the Banana Stand. You may all think I am insane, but I took that stuff too seriously, and i am very glad I supported the program in the face of all the negative naybobs over the years, or maybe decades. If you have an interest, check it out.

DC, you are preaching to the choir here. The majority of us are here because we can have a civil conversation, disagree, have differing points of view and still respect one another. The reason this board is here is to get out of an over and unfairly moderated environment. Feel free to have an opinion.

Good point farmer, most of us got over that place a long time ago. One of the distinctive characteristics of the posters that are drawn here is that they possess the intelligence and character to change their views in the face of compelling evidence. I wouldn't waste any thought on that crowd over there, honestly. They've made a game of mistreating John's customers and potential customers. I'm not sure if I feel sorry for him or not because he's busy with "real life" and may not be able to watch things as closely as he should, but that's pretty much the size of it.

I hear you guys and agree. I am just a little twisted about my desire to see Duke football turn it around. My grandfather played football at Duke and i went to all the games as a kid, and my father worked in the alumni office and hosted duke "parties" for football games during brutal beatdowns for decades. Like it or not, TDD has the most information available for recruits, players, families, reporters, potential duke fans, etc. That is where people who cared went for information. Then, we finally got a real coach and those idiots called for firing him after every game. Undermined his recruiting, bashed commitments, made stupid jokes about the program and coaching staff that I had an irrational desire to see succeed. Now, that we have appeared to turn the corner, it is "foolish" to say I told you so, or to ask some of the serial critics to eat some crow? Just makes me a little crazy in my too black or white world. That board fell on their sword to protect every possible critic or stupid joke that would certainly be labeled as trolling if the posters didn't pretend they were Duke "fans." i got banned when my only intention was to put a positive spin on the duke football program.

So, I would love to just ignore it, but I like to research positive stuff on recruits, promote some positive articles and generally support the program. But the the most visited venue for that is TDD moderated by that idiot aGDevil and his gang of "Fire Cut!" morons. I am fairly certain this is an unhealthy obsession I have, but so be it. I have it. I have appreciated the opportunity to vent here and discuss the football team with a sane group.

Just a point of note, the negative comments here are rarely sincere. It's actually very powerful reverse jinxing.

I remember the fire K stuff. I think K remembers too. I heard a rumor that one of them was crazy towel guy.

Same thing happened to the bball board, DC. You can either allow idiots to say whatever they want AND let non-idiots shame them, or you can just restrict bad posting. If you don't punish bad posting and only punish the subsequent shaming, you're going to end up with a terrible level of discussion.

Crazy Towel Guy sucks. Herb is not a good guy, he's actually pretty darn right creepy.

I don't know why Duke Athletics panders to him, especially after some of the run-ins he has had with Duke athletes.

dcdevil said:
I remember the fire K stuff. I think K remembers too. I heard a rumor that one of them was crazy towel guy.

So you're saying your mind stretches all the way back to spring 2009 when DukieInTheNorth called for K to hang 'em up

Pretty sure that a TDD mod said exactly that after the Lehigh game... after some time had passed.

I don't consider him a mod. He is a usurping tyrant. He was reigned in after John returned from wherever he was

So after the Lehigh loss, a mod goes and says Coach K should retire and then bans me for starting a "Who should the captains be?" thread? Matt2Dukies was on a power trip.

I probably shouldn't comment here because I am a basketball fan (don't watch really football, college or NFL).

But the reason I find statements about eating crow incredibly annoying is that it's as if the person saying them believes they "knew it all along" -- as if they could predict the future and anyone who was being negative (quite reasonably negative, often) simply didn't have access to the same Nostradamus-like qualities. It also ignores the fact that the person who made a negative prediction is probably thrilled to be wrong. It focuses attention on a contest of "Look who's a better fan" rather than the genuine pleasure every fan should get with a win (especially the kind of win that's been a long time coming).

rome8180 said:
I probably shouldn't comment here because I am a basketball fan (don't watch really football, college or NFL).

But the reason I find statements about eating crow incredibly annoying is that it's as if the person saying them believes they "knew it all along" -- as if they could predict the future and anyone who was being negative (quite reasonably negative, often) simply didn't have access to the same Nostradamus-like qualities. It also ignores the fact that the person who made a negative prediction is probably thrilled to be wrong. It focuses attention on a contest of "Look who's a better fan" rather than the genuine pleasure every fan should get with a win (especially the kind of win that's been a long time coming).

Eh, it's a little different on the football board.

For me personally, I never made any specific positive predictions so it's not an "I was right" thing. It's more that during a time when the football program didn't have many people behind it at all, and we had what might have been our last good chance to rebuild from the worst major program in college athletics, posters and mods were just absolutely trashing and ridiculing the coaches and players who were putting their hearts and souls into that effort. It wasn't the equivalent of "Curry should sit because he can't play defense" and "Wojo presents an issue attracting big men", it was "Curry is a useless POS who is stealing money from Duke with his scholarship" and "We shall never win a single game as long as Wojo is on the staff and he MUST be fired immediately!" Throw in the fact that, at the time, no one really wanted any part of our program, and it really struck me as unfair, unrealistic and pathetic.

IMO, there's also a little difference between criticizing and demanding results from a top 5 program (Duke basketball) and a program that had legally been declared the worst football program in the country - our own argument, verified by the court - in 2008. You've got to understand the context of what you're demanding and think you "deserve" as a fan.

And lastly, despite the losing records in the last couple years, there were clear and obvious improvements in our competitiveness, athleticism and depth that these posters completely denied. Everyone can see it now, because we're continuing to mature, getting the breaks and winning games. I don't want credit for being "right" about that last year or the year before, but I would like posters who bashed the staff at the time and refused to give them any credit for any incremental improvement to be held accountable for being morons and, really, antagonists to the program. If they'd gotten their wishes, all of the progress would have been lost and we'd be starting from scratch again instead of enjoying our current success.

(...Sorry for the long-winded response)

Pants made a good point. Some of them were angrier than ever. From what I saw on the field, my thoughts during the early Cut years were more of a "man, it sure is nice that teams actually feel the need to take a game against us seriously, that's step one..." We were still having 3-9 seasons, but we were in games in a competitive sense. Sadly, that step was obvious progress to some of us, the result of tons of hard work by all involved in the program, necessary in this journey, and just cruelly ignored by many.

I totally understand Rome's point, and I must sound a little crazy with my bloodthirst to tell those idiots they were wrong, but trust me, they deserve it. Pantone and bfactor pretty much nailed it. It is one thing to be a tough fan and have a view, but there were guys who made it their mission to embarrass the coaches in every post. A mental case called southfloridadevil made literally 500 posts about Cut not knowing how to recruit, and who we should hire when cut is dismissed. DaTrain posed as an expert in recruiting and belittled every recruit that Cut signed. Here is one DaTrain posts: "Bottom line....this program is going nowhere. White loves Cut. No changes will be made. Truthfully, there is no compelling reason for any academically inclined football player to attend Duke. None. Duke will never ever have a sniff of a winning record or a bowl game under Cut." Somehow, this DaTrain was friends with Haskins who was a grad asst at duke and then went to Stanford and Haskins would tell DaTrain his thoughts on our recruits and this became sacred wisdom, and DaTrain would be heralded for trashing recruits. DaTrain and SFD implied that one of Stanford's coaches was ready to take the job and had already assembled a shadow staff. I am not making this up. Jacmac is a bitter old man who posted over 1000 digs, insults, snide jokes, etc. all belittling Duke, Cut and cuts recruiting. Cutcliffe is not big on ratings services and uses summer camps to his own evaluations. Jacmac called this peewee tryouts at least 50 times. Hilarious stuff. He is a hero on that board. Anyone that tried to rebut was banned by aGDevil. Here is an example from aG: Coaching was bad more than half of the time. Let's not sugar coat it. This staff is terrible. My cousin sent me a note that her 7 year old son was watching the game today and after Cut was speaking he said "Mommy, the way he talks makes me want to go to sleep" That says about all you need to know about David Cutcliffe." aG is a former duke football player who will not say who he is (but I think I know) and made it his mission to make the board encourage the constant degrading of the coach and recruiting results.

So, now they write like they are all good Duke fans too and no one should call them out for their years of counter-productive bs. You can't crap on a coach every day and then pretend to cheer when we are bowl-eligible. It is a strange culture over there, and as a Duke fan, I tried to counter it for years. And now it looks like I was a little bit right. Anyway, i have written too much on this subject. You got to trust me that they deserve to be called out, they are not good Duke fans, and it is a travesty that aG is moderating those boards.

It's interesting to get longtime football fans' perspectives...and thanks for the responses. I only have been reading the football board because there's been a lot of activity on here lately and I'm bored. I have no idea what went or goes on on TDD's football board.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just re-read Pantone's explanation for problems with TDD, which I think just nails it.

"Same thing happened to the bball board, DC. You can either allow idiots to say whatever they want AND let non-idiots shame them, or you can just restrict bad posting. If you don't punish bad posting and only punish the subsequent shaming, you're going to end up with a terrible level of discussion."

Thank you for saying what I couldn't articulate well. TDD protected the idiots and then banned the non-idiots who shamed the idiots. Sort of like the guy who retaliates gets caught.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back