Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fewer Recruiting Misses and other rambling thoughts

dcdevil

Role Player
I think one of the keys to the improvements so far is that Cut's classes have fewer "misses" - players that never really made an impact on the field for whatever reason. Some of that is injury-driven, but a lot is some guys just weren't ACC-level players.

Just an informal analysis (my unscientific opinion) shows that the number of players that did not make a major contribution on the field:

2006 - 12 / 24
2007 - 12 / 21
2008 - 5 / 17 (including Mackey as a miss despite being a good player)
2009 - 13 / 27 (many discipline issues - Drew, Griswould, Putnam, Glover, Watkins)
2010 - 2 /20
2011 - too early to tell, but only a few look like they won't contribute on the field.

I think the 2010 class is one of the keys to our improvement. Very few non-contributors, which has provided quality depth. One of our biggest problems in the past is that half or more of the classes never emerged as contributors and many red-shirt juniors would not return for a 5th year, which made us younger than our competitors. I think we are now on a path where we will have more upper-class players, more guys with time to get better, and more experienced leadership. There was one year, where we had one senior. Unreal.

We don't have a huge number of seniors (12) this year, but they have been stand-outs:
Renfree, Scott, Vernon, Moore, Kurunwune, Anderson, Canty, Byas, Butler, Gamble, Foster.

Bringing back Kelby and Jeremy Cash should help, but worried about depth at Cornerback (really need Boyd to come back strong from his injury). We have some good options to replace Renfree. Who replaces Moore at Center? Who steps up at Wide Receiver? I think Blakeney and Schneider may be listed at Tight End, but will split out at WR quite a bit.

Good point. I was posting somewhere else how many NC private school kids we had, and realized that all except Tim Burton had started or were projected to start this year, and none were seniors (Ross Cockrell, Brandon Braxton, Kelby/Kyler Brown, Braxton Deaver, Justin Foxx, Nick Sink, Auggie Campbell). Interestingly, a good portion of them also arrived in 2010. Seems like it's been an especially effective niche.

I've posted this before, but I really hope we move Blakeney to receiver next year and let him use his speed/size/hands on some deep balls. Seems like he's custom made to be an outside receiver.

Also, I remain completely perplexed as to why Boyd and Deaver are being held out. Both appear to be fine, and have already redshirted a year, and it would really be good to get both back this year. Maybe they're worried about reinjury or something.

Good post, dc. With the recent success, I hope we continue to see a positive trend in recruiting efforts.

Pantone287 said:
Good point. I was posting somewhere else how many NC private school kids we had, and realized that all except Tim Burton had started or were projected to start this year, and none were seniors (Ross Cockrell, Brandon Braxton, Kelby/Kyler Brown, Braxton Deaver, Justin Foxx, Nick Sink, Auggie Campbell). Interestingly, a good portion of them also arrived in 2010. Seems like it's been an especially effective niche.

I've posted this before, but I really hope we move Blakeney to receiver next year and let him use his speed/size/hands on some deep balls. Seems like he's custom made to be an outside receiver.

Also, I remain completely perplexed as to why Boyd and Deaver are being held out. Both appear to be fine, and have already redshirted a year, and it would really be good to get both back this year. Maybe they're worried about reinjury or something.
With Blakeney, Nash, Reeves, and Deaver; Boone will have some huge targets to throw to. Plus Crowder.

I would really be in favor of Duke requesting a late season game against a bowl sub division team like SEC teams do.

-Get the team a November win which we have shown no ability to get.
-Get guys healthy
-Cut teams seem to reach their playing potential around weeks 3-7

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back