Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

Good thing K told him to stop being aggressive and to shoot more. The Master at work.

Biggest issue is that he just doesn't get many shot attempts period and he has to take a lot of them off the dribble since he's forced to run the point a lot.

He doesn't have much wiggle at all in his game, his driving was always head down and create contact. You can't do that with two bigs and their defenders occupying the lane.

I just feel bad for him. He's doing the best he can in a role he just isn't suited for

Biggest issue is that he just doesn't get many shot attempts period and he has to take a lot of them off the dribble since he's forced to run the point a lot.

He doesn't have much wiggle at all in his game, his driving was always head down and create contact. You can't do that with two bigs and their defenders occupying the lane.

I just feel bad for him. He's doing the best he can in a role he just isn't suited for

Good post. In part. this is why Duval is such a disappointment. He was supposed to free GA up for shots.

Good post. In part. this is why Duval is such a disappointment. He was supposed to free GA up for shots.

Duval is not good at driving and passing, but the same thing that gives Allen trouble, he's driving into a crowded lane too and it doesn't help that the defense doesn't respect his shot so they can sag off. There's not a ton of room for drive and kick.

They also set absolutely no screens for their guards to get open.

My biggest frustration and I guess this belongs in the coaching thread, but I hate they've turned this into the Carter and Bagley offense. IMO it should be the Grayson and Bagley offense. It's really difficult to build an offense only predicated on getting the ball inside. It's really frustrating watching this high low offense whether out of the horns set or the ball screen continuity. Clear a side out and let Allen or Duval actually use a screen not just force a rotation so we can play high-low. It's so predictable and with the spacing, it's hard to get anything out of it. How about some old school motion where Bagley and Carter are screeners for Trent and Allen to get some looks. Or earlier in the year where Allen and Bagley played a two man game on one side.

Allen's only looks are transition, second chance or he's gotta pull up on his own. Trent gets some looks because Allen is a good drive and kick player. Allen has no one to do that for him.

Now that I got that out of my system, I hope he can get things going in the right direction in time for a glorious victory on senior night.

I frankly wouldn't mind Grayson take 20 shots a game for the rest of the season and get his grove back and shoot his way back into the first round. We aren't winning anything anyway so the only way this season is ending remotely satisactory for me at this point if Grayson plays his way back into the 1st round.

Yeah, the thing bumming me out most about this season BY FAR is the sad state of his career. He had a chance to be a legend. Instead, he is just a sad has-been.

This bothers me as well - it has been a frustrating development. I do not fully agree that he has slid into has-been territory, yet I understand where you are coming from - 6 weeks (or so) stretch where he has had 1 good offensive game, and he has not shown the senior leadership (at least verbally anyways) the team requires. He needs to get one track, but requires help from the coaches (strategy to effectively use his offensive skills) and teammates.

Again, I know he has made foolish choices in the past...even if those actions were ridiculously overblown* they were really poor decisions. I am a fan of the man for how hard he has played for Duke, especially playing through injuries. He has been a true warrior.

*I am not being a homer by saying this. Look at any of the trips he did in the past vs. that Pitt player clipping him on a fast break a couple weeks ago. Far more dangerous.

Yeah, the thing bumming me out most about this season BY FAR is the sad state of his career. He had a chance to be a legend. Instead, he is just a sad has-been.

If we somehow bullshit our way to a title with Allen balling out in the tournament, he could still be a legend. About as likely as us sweeping VT.

If we somehow bullshit our way to a title with Allen balling out in the tournament, he could still be a legend. About as likely as us sweeping VT.

I think he’s already a legend though for 2015. It’s just sad that his final two years were so bad.

Difference between being a legend for one performance and being an all-time great. So maybe I should have used that phrasing instead.

I wonder how much of this is due to his right wrist probably being fucked up. Players don't usually just go from being high-volume elite shooters to meh shooters, even if they start sucking in other areas.

I feel like the end game here is going to be making him the de facto PG, even though he's struggled this year when he's had to do that on the fly due to Duval being randomly unplayable. I mean, even if Matt Jones or Frank Jackson brought the ball up the court a lot in 2016 and 2017, Allen was undeniably the primary creator/playmaker on those teams, and led both teams in assists. We don't actually have much evidence that Allen can consistently be an effective off-the-ball wing from any point in his career, despite the general narrative that that's his natural role.

Might as well let the ship go down with him primarily at the helm, instead of some shithead freshman who contributes nothing positive consistently and is a massive liability in multiple areas.

I wonder how much of this is due to his right wrist probably being fucked up. Players don't usually just go from being high-volume elite shooters to meh shooters, even if they start sucking in other areas.

I feel like the end game here is going to be making him the de facto PG, even though he's struggled this year when he's had to do that on the fly due to Duval being randomly unplayable. I mean, even if Matt Jones or Frank Jackson brought the ball up the court a lot in 2016 and 2017, Allen was undeniably the primary creator/playmaker on those teams, and led both teams in assists. We don't actually have much evidence that Allen can consistently be an effective off-the-ball wing from any point in his career, despite the general narrative that that's his natural role.

Might as well let the ship go down with him primarily at the helm, instead of some shithead freshman who contributes nothing positive consistently and is a massive liability in multiple areas.

He probably won't be able to get the number of open looks that he should get as the Devils' best perimeter shooter, but yeah - he would not be worse running the point than TD.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back