Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

I frankly wouldn't mind Grayson take 20 shots a game for the rest of the season and get his grove back and shoot his way back into the first round. We aren't winning anything anyway so the only way this season is ending remotely satisactory for me at this point if Grayson plays his way back into the 1st round.

So far so good.

No problem with him putting up 15 treys - only 1 I can recall that would be considered a bad shot. I like that he did not hesitate with his jumper; nice to see again.

Bad is an understatement.

At this point, we know the ceiling on a Grayson Allen led offense is a disaster against large physical frontcourts, because you can pencil in 2-8 or worse shooting in the paint, and 3-4 turnovers to boot.

Bad is an understatement.

At this point, we know the ceiling on a Grayson Allen led offense is a disaster against large physical frontcourts, because you can pencil in 2-8 or worse shooting in the paint, and 3-4 turnovers to boot.[/QUOTE

Honest question, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you have a hate for Grayson. Why do you have such a big problem with him? It's not like Trent or Carter had good offensive games either. Carter was 3-13 on 2's and Trent was 3-10, and never passes the ball. Duval was actually decent, but looks scared to play out there now. You're obviously not getting much of anything from Javin or Bolden on offense. It's not like Allen was coming down the floor going 1 on 1 without passing. A lot of the time he had no choice but to throw something up at the end of the shot clock.

I don't hate Grayson, I just don't see running the offense through him as this panacea as some make it out to be. I'm just a little disappointed 4 years in that a certain style of opponent is impossible gets the same futile, offense killing result every time. I am bugged a little that he won't, or can't fit reliably into an offense where he's not getting the majority of usage.

I don't hate Grayson, I just don't see running the offense through him as this panacea as some make it out to be. I'm just a little disappointed 4 years in that a certain style of opponent is impossible gets the same futile, offense killing result every time. I am bugged a little that he won't, or can't fit reliably into an offense where he's not getting the majority of usage.

What do you think the offense should look like? Wendell had the highest usage against Clemson. I think it’s tough for him to “fit” into the offense because he doesn’t have anyone to get him shots. It was supposed to be Duval, but that hasn’t happened. Trent gets so many looks off feeds from Grayson. There is no one for Grayson to get looks from. Teams are smart by overplaying Grayson off the screens not giving him free threes, forcing him to drive into a packed lane where he is not skilled enough to finish. The double big lineup makes him going to the basket a non factor. Trent has the exact same problem.

What do you think the offense should look like? Wendell had the highest usage against Clemson. I think it’s tough for him to “fit” into the offense because he doesn’t have anyone to get him shots. It was supposed to be Duval, but that hasn’t happened. Trent gets so many looks off feeds from Grayson. There is no one for Grayson to get looks from. Teams are smart by overplaying Grayson off the screens not giving him free threes, forcing him to drive into a packed lane where he is not skilled enough to finish. The double big lineup makes him going to the basket a non factor. Trent has the exact same problem.

If you think it's "tough" for him to fit, and agree his wild drives in the lane are not getting it done, why are you even arguing with me?

If you think it's "tough" for him to fit, and agree his wild drives in the lane are not getting it done, why are you even arguing with me?

He doesn’t have much of a choice at the end of the shot clock, what do you want him to do when they give him the ball in those situations? Like I wrote earlier, he’s not running down the floor and doing it whenever he wants at the beginning of the clock. I guess I’m just interested in why you constantly bash Grayson. To be fair you bash Duval plenty as well. It’s not just you, I just find the complaints by some for Grayson while the love for Carter and Trent on this board to be interesting. This is the last game that Grayson should ever be bashed for. This game would have been a blowout if not for Grayson’s first half where nobody else showed up to play.

@DurhamSon I agree that a Grayson Allen-led offense isn't the answer. It lacks dynamism and pace. It's somewhat predictable and easy to defend. But it's not like you're high on Duval running it either.

And I fail to see how that connects to your other criticism, about Grayson needing high usage to be effective. Why wouldn't you want him having high usage? He's a very good offensive player and he's only been much better since Bagley has been out. A bad half isn't going to blind me to that.

I felt Allen's 2nd half contributions on D were solid. He & Tre were very disruptive in the press and in the zone with their active hands.

I think the sticking annoyance for me is because I believe the offense is better - or at least has a higher ceiling - when we're running through bagley/carter, and that for some reason unlike 99% of players in basketball, Grayson can't, or won't, play more efficiently in a reduced role.

Like, great, Grayson can be really good most of the time if we have to run the offense through him most of the time. Maybe be better than a replacement level player if we aren't?

I think the sticking annoyance for me is because I believe the offense is better - or at least has a higher ceiling - when we're running through bagley/carter, and that for some reason unlike 99% of players in basketball, Grayson can't, or won't, play more efficiently in a reduced role.

Like, great, Grayson can be really good most of the time if we have to run the offense through him most of the time. Maybe be better than a replacement level player if we aren't?

Bagley is obviously a force of nature on offense, but Grayson has to have higher usage than Duval, and I think that's what will be crucial going forward. When Bagley returns, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Either Grayson or Duval will be running the show this season unless something really weird happens with K and Goldwire down the stretch. I’m not crazy about the Grayson-run offense, but Duval has been so terrible most of the time that there’s no other choice here. It’s too bad O’Connell can’t get himself out of the doghouse.

It’s nice to see him be aggressive again. Bilas made some commentary that he was deferring a lot earlier to make the freshman feel comfortable and K told him to stop deferring so much

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom