Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Louisville postgame reaction

The guard grabbing Mason's arm to get the "clean strip" and subsequent travel call were outrageous as well.

Our adjusted D kenpom ranking has us up to 23 right now.

Really if we just could stop the other team from getting all these putbacks we'd probably be up in the top 10

Could be a SOS thing though.

<---- Not a KenPom expert

I would have thought SOS factored into the adjusted rankings somehow.

4 wins over top 19 kenpom teams. 6th overall, Louisville 4th.

I don't know this for a fact but I think early Pomeroy ratings are based on projections that are phased out as actual games are played. In any event, they're not too useful until January.

We're now #1 in Sagarin (#1 in ELO, and a surprisingly high 6 in the predictor).

Ville 2
Michigan 3
IU 4
Zags 5

dgoore97 said:
My two cents from the last two games -- (I was unable to see the first atlantis game)

Overall, I agree with others here that this team is legit -- in my view owing mostly to the emergence in the last week of one Quinn Cook. He's made a leap and everyone on this team is benefiting..

QC --as noted, in this tourney, he was better in every phase of the game. seemed more confident, athletic, quicker pushing the ball -- (contrary to a previous poster I would say we saw this kind of transition a couple years ago for 11 games, but it is awesome to see again nonetheless). a couple errors but out of over exuberance and aggression which to me is still progress. I think his play as much as MP's will determine how this team ends up.

RS -- still progressing, high ceiling. growing expectations for this kid. worry about the fatigue (mental and physical) factor over the whole season, but he seems mentally to have the right approach. he is not scared of the moment!

RK -- love watching him play. love the new aggression getting to the basket. hasn't lost the ability to pick and pop. most importantly, smart, I always feel he is going to make the right play

MP -- Love to see him take on the leadership role as a senior. seems finally to be living up to his potential. As more teams focus on taking away his go-tos, he will be challenged, but i have to say this is the best I have felt about our inside presence in a long time.

TT -- I think TT is adjusting to his role as a clear second to QC and possibly 3rd behind RS. Get the sense his confidence is shaken, he sometimes presses. thought his defense improved last night imho.

AJ -- i feel good about him. he is aggressive on both sides, has energy and some skill. wish he could get more time to help him develop more quickly.

JH -- much improved. his ability to spell MP effectively has been huge. love seeing him sprint the floor to get back on d -- don't remember that speed from last year.

SC -- key senior leadership on this team. his influence of having "been there before" seems to have a calming influence on the younger guards, the value of which is immeasurable. hits big shots when we need them too and love the aggressive moves to the basket I see this year. concerned about the injury which I don't have a clear picture of -- not that I have done a lot of research, but still would love any insight

AM -- just not enough to say anything here.

one last note, the bench seems to have shortened early this season with 6 players dominating the minutes during the last game. always wondered about this from a player dev standpoint, but that said, I trust in K and the rest of the staff who obviously know far more about the theory and the actual case specific facts relating to this team than I.

would love to hear others' thoughts.

With reference to the bolded,I feel like a lot of that was simply Irving as a one-man fast break. Not the same as all those beautiful leakouts and outlet passes.

As for Sulaimon's fatigue, he seems to be in ridiculous physical shape. And mentally, he seems rock steady. I'm just not worried about him. If anything, I expect him to improve as he learns to finish at the rim better.

NOD said:
We're now #1 in Sagarin (#1 in ELO, and a surprisingly high 6 in the predictor).

Ville 2
Michigan 3
IU 4
Zags 5

Let's go Davidson tonight! Seriously tough matchup for us, so anything less than a 15 pt loss has to be seen as a positive for McKillop.

Poor Quinn Cook.

No one told him that VCU's vaunted "Havoc" defense was supposed to turn him into a whimpering puppy.

No one told him that Louisville's experienced back court was supposed to reduce him to the mistake prone freshman we saw last season.

Nope, everyone just decided to let Cook figure it out for himself. So the much-improved and often maligned sophomore played his game like only he can. An instinctive and intuitive ball-handler, Cook often found himself facing some of the better on-ball defender's in the country and used his increasingly-effective spin move to create space, beat defenders into space, and open up his teammates for free points.

Last season, Cook showed flashes of this brilliance but rarely anything more than that. We all saw the future in him against Colorado State but unfortunately that was merely a lightning strike. This year, the flashy point guard has been able to string together consistent ability to lead the offense. In fact, only his awareness on ball screens and recovery seems to be severely lacking.

That's not to say the Battle 4 Atlantis MOP has no room to improve, he obviously needs to work on his rotation defense, positional awareness against traps, and other finer details. Still, the key traits Duke needs from him to go far; dribble penetration, outstanding facilitating, consistent shooting, and leadership, are all vastly improved.

Poor Quinn Cook, only scratching the surface of his potential.

As for the rest of the team, its hard not to be over-confident about this group going forward. The balance displayed in that ballroom showed (captain obvious alert!) Duke isn't relying on just a couple players to score the ball.

Now, there were times against the Ville that Coach K was forced to trot out small ball lineups of Jefferson, Hairston, Thornton, Cook, and Sulaimon (In some cases, Murphy was subbed in for Sulaimon). These lineups basically served to steal minutes as Duke was unable to score effectively in the half-court set. Surprisingly, while this lineup was in, Duke actually only surrendered 4 points to the Cardinals.

This highlights the known importance of Ryan Kelly to the team as not only a scorer but a spacer. Everyone knew Duke wasn't about to run that offense through Jefferson or Hairston. So Pitino knew that any scoring had to come from Sulaimon penetrations or open jumpers from all the guards. In order for Duke to add that extra dimension to their team, and frankly relieve some pressure off the senior bigs, they need one of Hairston or Jefferson to become even somewhat reliable as a scorer in the post.

I, personally, have more faith in Jefferson in that regard as he's a more efficient scorer around the rim. What would be an ideal scenario? Jefferson adds strength over the season, becomes a reliable scorer in spurts, Hairston perfects that 13 foot jumper of his, they all become nasty in ball denial and help take Duke past a variety of offensive and defensive schemes.

The fact that Louisville was missing their defensive center, Gorgui Dieng, is important. Dieng wouldn't have been much of an impact on the offensive end as I'm iffy on how his limited offensive skills would work against Mason Plumlee and Dikembe...I mean Ryan Kelly. Defensively, I was expecting Dieng to alter a lot of dribble penetration but frankly, Duke made most of their points off of fast breaks and jump shots with about 15% coming from drives in the half-court. I, for one, look forward to playing what I believe is the second best team in the country again.

Nice write-up. Good idea to combine the Ville and VCU write-ups since we're a bit behind schedule with the blog.

BTW, if there's any other time in the season where you can't do one and I'm not working, I'm all over it.

Awesome, you're a much better writer than I so I might defer to you more often.

Topher said:
Awesome, you're a much better writer than I so I might defer to you more often.

Appreciate the compliments, but I think you've done an excellent job.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom