Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Marvin Bagley III

I think you have to be a much better handler and passer than Bagley to be able to get away with that against ACC defenses. I mean, Giles was doing that shit in high school/AAU and he probably dribbled the ball 17 times in his entire Duke career.

I think Bagley has more handling ability than Giles but he should never go coast to coast. I don't mind if he grabs a rebound and heads up court, but he should be looking for Duval and Grayson and shouldn't dribble more than once or twice

The only person I want with the ball in transition is Duval. Trent Jr and Allen should be sprinting to the corners, Bagley rim running and Carter trailing.

Wouldn't it be the most Duke basketball thing ever if the NCAA doesn't clear Bagley to play?

I'd actually think it'd be the least Duke thing ever. The national perception is that Duke catches all the breaks, if Bagley went to UK and was ineligible it would seem like a more reasonable outcome. It's Duke. They deal with lower extremity injuries, not the bureaucratic issues of the NCAA.

Marvin is now the number 1 player in the 2017 class on 247, ahead of Porter and Ayton.

I'd actually think it'd be the least Duke thing ever. The national perception is that Duke catches all the breaks, if Bagley went to UK and was ineligible it would seem like a more reasonable outcome. It's Duke. They deal with lower extremity injuries, not the bureaucratic issues of the NCAA.

Not talking about perception, I'm talking about reality. Remember way, way back about this time last year? When we had the favorite team to win the title? With the greatest recruiting class in the history of the world? Then we had Preseason Player of the Year, Grayson Allen? The way that turned out, that was the most Duke thing ever. This could be the beginning of the most Duke thing ever, the sequel.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this but my point was that technically the most Duke thing ever would be a broken metatarsal, not an NCAA interference with Bagley's eligibility.

T
I don't even know why I'm arguing this but my point was that technically the most Duke thing ever would be a broken metatarsal, not an NCAA interference with Bagley's eligibility.

This season is The Sequel, you have to mix up your zany antics, madcap hijinks, and hilarious pratfalls, or it just becomes flat and redundant for the fans.

Bagley has been admitted to Duke already. It would be incredibly embarrassing for Admissions if the NCAA didn't declare him eligible. They wouldn't have admitted him if they weren't 100% sure he'd be eligible.

That is unless K really did decide to go all in on NADs after his brief flirtation last year.

The only people I've seen semi-low on Marvins game are some of the people on this board lol. Almost every analyst expects him to be superstar.

The only people I've seen semi-low on Marvins game are some of the people on this board lol. Almost every analyst expects him to be superstar.
At what level though? I think he could eventually get there professionally, but I'm not sure he's polished enough to be a superstar in his one year at Duke.

I don't think a single person on this board has said they don't expect Bagley to eventually be great. Most of the posts here are focusing on what to expect next season at Duke, since we are Duke fans.

Part of what we know is that he's a 67% FT shooter and a 29% 3pt shooter on the high school level. Anyone saying he'll even be the most valuable player at Duke, objectively, from day one is kind of an idiot. He will look like a superstar while he's running, jumping and maybe dribbling. He will have a lot of awesome blocks where he swats the ball deep into the crowd and the other team keeps possession. His dunks will be on SportsCenter all the time. But it would be stunning if his rate numbers are among the best in college basketball in the first few games. The hope is that he progresses toward the NBA version of himself far enough by March to help Duke become a monster.

Last edited:

If he were superstar caliber right now his AAU team wouldn't have gone 2-16 or whatever

I know we haven't really had anyone like him but what level of prior freshmen would you compare him to? I'm saying in terms of how good he is and how much he produces. Giles? Tatum? Parker? Okafor?

Ben Simmons seems like a close comparison and a good target for Bagley in terms of freshman production. Surprised the comparison has not been made in the media more often.

Simmons vs. Bagley
  • 6-10 225 in college (Bagley is 6-11 220)
  • #1 pick but some debate between him and another versatile wing/forward (Bagley projected 1 or 2 with Porter)
  • Hyped and covered to laughable levels by ESPN (Bagley projected similar)
  • College position was mainly C/PF, but drafted to be a guard or point forward due to versatility, despite broken jumper (Bagley projected similar)
  • Took very few 3s, finished 1-3 on the season (Bagley very poor 3pt shooter coming into college, should follow Simmons example)
  • Drew tons of fouls - 77% FT rate - and made a respectable percentage for a college C/PF - 67% FT (Bagley projected similar)
  • Overall extremely strong stats, but unadjusted for lower competition than an ACC team would face - 29.0 PER, 117.2 ORtg, 98.4 DRtg (by far the best in the rotation), 11.6 BPM, .207 WS/40 (Bagley would likely be in NPOY contention with these stats on a title contender)
  • Great rebounder - 9.6% OReb, 26.8% DReb (Bagley allegedly strong rebounder)
  • Decent but not great shotblocker - 2.5% Blk (Bagley allegedly great shotblocking timing and instincts, though results have not shown great ability yet)
  • Historically great passer for a college C/PF - 27.4% Ast (Bagley allegedly good playmaker, but not like this)
  • Suffered season-ending injury (Bagley projected similar)
If Bagley puts up Simmons-like numbers, then Bagley will probably be top 2-3 NPOY. They key is not the numbers, though, since Bagley will have a much better team around him, and this will hopefully lead to a lower usage than Simmons' 26.4%. They key will be whether Bagley is as talented and smart as Simmons as a freshman, with the same kind of impact on the boards, defense and passing with a lesser role on the team (Simmons was the entire team). If that's the case and Duval and Carter are not busts, Duke will have everything it needs.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom