Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

Yeah, it was another King book that I loved, turned into a movie that, for me, was a big let down. The movie has grown on me over the years, but it's still disappointing to me that they basically stripped the supernatural elements from the story (where were my fucking hedge animals??) and instead made it a movie about a borderline psychotic man turning into a full-blown raving madman.

Also, I thought Scatman Crothers sucked.

Yeah, it was another King book that I loved, turned into a movie that, for me, was a big let down. The movie has grown on me over the years, but it's still disappointing to me that they basically stripped the supernatural elements from the story (where were my fucking hedge animals??) and instead made it a movie about a borderline psychotic man turning into a full-blown raving madman.

Also, I thought Scatman Crothers sucked.
Couldn't agree more. Also, I really hate that they had to make Danny a creepy possessed kid in the movie. He's an incredibly intelligent kid that struggles with Tony and the shine. And fuck his weird finger thing in the movie.

I've heard the miniseries that King himself created is much more accurate (down to the roque mallet), but I haven't attempted it myself yet.

I think you just have to view them as separate pieces of art. I love King, but I would definitely say Kubrick is far more sophisticated aesthetically. It's a movie you watch for atmosphere, cinematography, and set design as much as anything.

Yeah, but I had to put about ten years between myself and the book in order to not resent the direction the movie took.

I think you just have to view them as separate pieces of art. I love King, but I would definitely say Kubrick is far more sophisticated aesthetically. It's a movie you watch for atmosphere, cinematography, and set design as much as anything.
Totally agree. If you view the movie for what it is, it's pretty damn good. It was a perfect vehicle for Nicholson's particular brand of over acting. The only part that really bothered me was how he got out of the freezer. Even with all of the weird supernatural stuff going on, that scene was way out of line with the other supernatural events.

Rome, I'm sure you're right. My problem was reading the book and then going straight to the movie. I'm actually planning a rewatch soon, so hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it more.

Just fast forward or go take a piss during any Scatman Crothers scenes. I'll never understand that casting, the man couldn't act for shit. I'd have to do some googling, but I swear there must have been at least one competent, aging black actor around at that time who could have handled that role.

Rome, I'm sure you're right. My problem was reading the book and then going straight to the movie. I'm actually planning a rewatch soon, so hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it more.
I enjoyed my theater rewatch. Parts of it are very campy. Nicholson and Duval both really overact but in a surreal way that Kubrick seemed to like (similar acting in A Clockwork Orange). I do get King's criticism: Nicholson's character arc isn't nonexistent, but it's definitely very shortened. But what I think that criticism misses is that the movie is actually more about Danny (with Wendy as the secondary protagonist). The child actor who plays Danny is terrific.

On rewatch, it was the little things that I enjoyed the most. The movie has a lot of setup scenes by modern standards. The first 30 minutes are pretty slow with a lot of talking. But once you get to the hotel, there's so much that makes it worth it. Weirdly, what's stuck in my mind most since the rewatch are the scenes of Danny riding his tricycle down the hallways. The camera work and sound design in those scenes is exceptional. I honestly wouldn't have minded five more minutes of that. The score is terrific too. And it's used in subtle ways that don't telegraph where the scares are going to be. Modern horror movies seem so heavy handed in comparison.

I don't think it's Kubrick's best movie by a long stretch. I've only seen five of his movies: 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut. 2001 and A Clockwork Orange were both better, imo.

Nope. Also haven't seen Barry Lyndon, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, or Lolita. It's weird considering what a fan I am of the ones I have seen.

New Last Jedi trailer/TV spot. Lots of good new shots. This movie is going to be amazing.

I liked "Thor Ragnarok" a lot. I'm one of the few people that enjoyed the first two Thor movies but this was definitely better. It's amazing how much more I enjoy Marvel movies than I do DC.

Rian Johnson has been signed to create an all new Star Wars trilogy. Disney and Lucasfilm must really love what he did with The Last Jedi.

Rian Johnson has been signed to create an all new Star Wars trilogy. Disney and Lucasfilm must really love what he did with The Last Jedi.

New lore too, I think. Not just a canon version of old republic or w/e

No surprise, another awful DC Comics movie. Based on reviews, which were not allowed to be released until a day before the movie is released, Justice League is trash.

40% on Rotten Tomatoes when I just looked. Batman v Superman got a 27% by comparison. I have very low expectations when I see it tonight.

Better than I expected but not much. DC again would've been far better served having given a solo movie or two to each of Superman, Batman, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and the best character of the movie - Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is again a bad ass. If they rebooted the entire DC universe, she's the only one I'd keep in it.

They spent way too much time on the backstory for Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash. A solo movie prior to this would've solved those issues in an instant. It felt like a series of short films mashed together leading up into a big battle. It felt like half the movie at least was just them coming together.

The villain was boring, had no real motivations other than to destroy shit. I also didn't think his CGI was all that good.while other areas (Cyborg for instance) were pretty cool most of the time.

If you actually see the movie, you'll wonder by the end why there's even a Justice League when Superman is so much more powerful than everyone else. Batman is basically neutered in the entire movie, just uses his grapping gun and swings around a few times. His coolest moment was in the Batmobile firing machine guns at the parademons. Cyborg doesn't really much fighting while Aquaman had a couple cool sequences.

It was also incredibly stupid that the Flash has never once fought ever but is good enough to go into a fight against aliens? He basically was a track star and poked things a couple times and that was it. Also he had zero confidence at all The tv show remains the far better of the two depictions of the Flash.

I'd say a 5 out of 10 altogether but honestly the more I think about some aspects (like why did Batman shoot guns in Batman v Superman but forgets them against fucking aliens? Why is Superman so overpowered compared to every other character in the movie that it makes their presence except for Wonder Woman pointless?), the more I dislike it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom