Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

The problem with killing Black Panther, Spiderman, and Dr. Strange is that we already know they have sequel movies that take place after IW. They carry absolutely no weight because we know they'll be undone. Killing a handful of the OG Avengers would have been an actual risky move.

I agree with this review summary from Collider, "The movie is packed with fun banter and set pieces, but it's not really about anything, and the ending falls flat."

Have you seen it yet? My experience in the theater last night was anything but flat.
I have not watched it. I read a full plot synopsis. But even reading about the aftermath of "the snap" made me roll my eyes. Given what we know about the MCU, all of those "deaths" are completely meaningless. Sounds like the only real casualties will be Loki, Vision, and Gamora. But even Gamora apparently has a big role in Guardians 3, so they might undo that too.

Well, you'll probably just have a bout of confirmation bias when you do see the end play out. It was really well done. Tom Holland crushed it.
Yeah, the general consensus is that it's the most emotional moment. And the moment works fine if you view it from the angle of Spiderman empathy, but I can't take it seriously as a consequence of the events that have played out.

Have not read the spoilers here, but I think if you go into a movie wanting to hate it, you will probably hate it, and if you go into a movie wanting to love it, you will probably love it.

-bdotling
I don't think this works. I want to love every movie I see. My life is better when that happens. I like it when my life is better.

Your life is also better when your preconceived notions are validated, though.

I'm not a big Marvel guy but I really enjoyed IF and the
Deaths were really well done. Im sure they'll all be brought back but my prediction is that Tony dies in part 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid of the main thing Zack is afraid of, in that all of this will be reversed when Brie Larson kills Thanos and brings everyone back to life. That would be the absolute worst way to go. Let us see all those characters die and remain dead.

General other thoughts:

Good Stuff

1. The Dr. Strange dying words, “there was no other way,” is my favorite line from any of these movies, because of all the potential ramifications and mind fuck. In all the millions of futures he saw, how much would need to go right, even after he kept Iron Man alive, for his seemingly stupid decision to lead to the one good future? Is it still possible? How many different futures are possible just based on the 50/50 chance of each key player dying? Or is the one good future more predestined, in that Dr. Strange has already set it all in motion?

2. The ambiguity of whether Thanos is a hero or villain, despite being the most powerful villain ever, is very interesting. I’m Team Thanos, obviously. The conventional heroes kept making selfish, stupid decisions, without fail. They kept single individuals alive instead of sacrificing them for half the universe to live, over and over. Meanwhile, Thanos is basically omniscient and knows that the entire universe will die if he doesn’t kill off half of them, so he does everything in his power to salvage the lives of trillions. To get what he needs to be the savior, he puts individual lives at stake and makes others choose whether he kills them or not, but he never kills needlessly. He sacrifices the only thing he loves for this. He’s far more a hero than the selfish assholes, Chris Pratt and Scarlet Witch, for example.

3. The most powerful good guys were acknowledged as such, instead of being lumped together with trash like Hawkeye and Black Widow. Thor, Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch have been so much more powerful than the others that it became awkward in prior movies because they would try to make the others on the same level. Captain America was just hitting guys with a hard object. Don Cheadle was just shooting people. Black Widow and Hulk were jokes. That’s how it should be when Thor and Tyrion’s axe are involved.

Bad Stuff

1. Hulk continues to be awful. Just kill him for good. Excruciatingly bad as an actor and with the lines he was given. I don’t want to see him in any more movies.

2. Copying The Leftovers to explain what happens to the vanished 50%, which would allow an easy possibility of bringing them back, would be awful. It would also make Thanos a true hero if that’s what he did. The final image of him sitting and sighing would be comparable to the last image of Luke Skywalker, two equally noble characters reflecting on their lives and how they’ve helped so many people.

3. No one cares about Vision, and Dr. Strange hasn’t been around long enough, either. Having those two be keepers of infinity stones was hard to get behind. They should’ve done more to attach the audience emotionally to those characters before this movie, if it had to be this way to be true to the comic books or something.

I'm not a big Marvel guy but I really enjoyed IF and the

Where does it rank for you in the MCU?
I haven't seen them all and some I haven't seen for a long time. Iron Man is really good, I liked the latest Spider-Man. I find Captain America a little boring to be honest and Hulk sucks. The Thor movies are good. I'd say top 5 but not the best.

I am afraid of the main thing Zack is afraid of, in that all of this will be reversed when Brie Larson kills Thanos and brings everyone back to life. That would be the absolute worst way to go. Let us see all those characters die and remain dead.

General other thoughts:

Good Stuff

1. The Dr. Strange dying words, “there was no other way,” is my favorite line from any of these movies, because of all the potential ramifications and mind fuck. In all the millions of futures he saw, how much would need to go right, even after he kept Iron Man alive, for his seemingly stupid decision to lead to the one good future? Is it still possible? How many different futures are possible just based on the 50/50 chance of each key player dying? Or is the one good future more predestined, in that Dr. Strange has already set it all in motion?

2. The ambiguity of whether Thanos is a hero or villain, despite being the most powerful villain ever, is very interesting. I’m Team Thanos, obviously. The conventional heroes kept making selfish, stupid decisions, without fail. They kept single individuals alive instead of sacrificing them for half the universe to live, over and over. Meanwhile, Thanos is basically omniscient and knows that the entire universe will die if he doesn’t kill off half of them, so he does everything in his power to salvage the lives of trillions. To get what he needs to be the savior, he puts individual lives at stake and makes others choose whether he kills them or not, but he never kills needlessly. He sacrifices the only thing he loves for this. He’s far more a hero than the selfish assholes, Chris Pratt and Scarlet Witch, for example.

3. The most powerful good guys were acknowledged as such, instead of being lumped together with trash like Hawkeye and Black Widow. Thor, Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch have been so much more powerful than the others that it became awkward in prior movies because they would try to make the others on the same level. Captain America was just hitting guys with a hard object. Don Cheadle was just shooting people. Black Widow and Hulk were jokes. That’s how it should be when Thor and Tyrion’s axe are involved.

Bad Stuff

1. Hulk continues to be awful. Just kill him for good. Excruciatingly bad as an actor and with the lines he was given. I don’t want to see him in any more movies.

2. Copying The Leftovers to explain what happens to the vanished 50%, which would allow an easy possibility of bringing them back, would be awful. It would also make Thanos a true hero if that’s what he did. The final image of him sitting and sighing would be comparable to the last image of Luke Skywalker, two equally noble characters reflecting on their lives and how they’ve helped so many people.

3. No one cares about Vision, and Dr. Strange hasn’t been around long enough, either. Having those two be keepers of infinity stones was hard to get behind. They should’ve done more to attach the audience emotionally to those characters before this movie, if it had to be this way to be true to the comic books or something.
I agree with all of this. (Assuming paragraph 2 of the "good" is tongue-in-cheek)

General other thoughts:

Good Stuff

Bad Stuff

The Hulk / erectile dysfunction jokes were super out of place in the Marvel universe

General other thoughts:

Good Stuff

Bad Stuff

The Hulk / erectile dysfunction jokes were super out of place in the Marvel universe
I like that spoiler title. Thanks!

Saw Infinity War again last night

I think I've mostly figured out how Avengers 4 will play out:

Tony and Nebula take her ship to Earth to assess the damage and regroup.
Captain Marvel joins up with Avengers after being summoned by Nick Fury
Some weird romantic storyline with Thor and Danvers is forced on us
The Sovereign seeks vengeance on the Guardians after the events of GOTG2 and lead Adam Warlock to the Avengers
The new super team goes to Gamorra's planet to battle Thanos
With a shattered gauntlet, Thanos is vulnerable but still able to cause great damage
Adam Warlock goes into the soul stone realm and revives the fallen Avengers
Stark fully destroys the gauntlet as Nebula ultimately kills Thanos

So according to the wiki, there have been 19 "Marvel Cinematic Universe" films. I have seen 5 of them (Iron Man 1 and 2, Guardians 1 and 2, and Ant-Man because I love Paul Rudd). I have seen bits of several of the others, and I just don't get what's appealing about them. I feel like I enjoy action films (John Wick, Bourne Trilogy, that sort of thing) as much as the next guy, but the superhero shit doesn't appeal to me at all. I liked the Guardians movies because I pretty much viewed them as comedies. Same with Deadpool of course (although I learned just now that it's not in the same "Universe" as the Avengers). Never cared for X-Men or any iteration of SpiderMan either. I did like the first two of the Dark Knight trilogy. I'm just naming superhero movies now.

Didn't care for any Superman movies either. I like this. We need a haters thread.

chappelles_playerhater_RIVER_APP_1280x720.jpg

A haters thread is a great idea. Just a place to go where we bash things everyone else likes. It will probably lead to a banning or two when the arguments get too ugly, but that's an acceptable price to pay.

If anyone tries to bash the Beatles, I'm putting them on ignore.

So according to the wiki, there have been 19 "Marvel Cinematic Universe" films. I have seen 5 of them (Iron Man 1 and 2, Guardians 1 and 2, and Ant-Man because I love Paul Rudd). I have seen bits of several of the others, and I just don't get what's appealing about them. I feel like I enjoy action films (John Wick, Bourne Trilogy, that sort of thing) as much as the next guy, but the superhero shit doesn't appeal to me at all. I liked the Guardians movies because I pretty much viewed them as comedies. Same with Deadpool of course (although I learned just now that it's not in the same "Universe" as the Avengers). Never cared for X-Men or any iteration of SpiderMan either. I did like the first two of the Dark Knight trilogy. I'm just naming superhero movies now.

I liked most of the films but I get skeeved out by the fandom mania surrounding the whole MCU. In fact most fandoms just seem weird and obsessive to me, even though it's become somewhat mainstream to indulge in them.

But hey I follow 16 year old on twitter and think about their body composition just because they are athletes who might commit to my favorite college team, so who am I to point fingers.

Definitely better than Last Jedi though because no milking
Milking was one of the best scenes in the movie. Perfectly executes the intention of making the audience experience the discomfort that Luke is subjecting Rey to.
And that is the problem. There are so many other scenes that should have been much, much better than the milking scene. But they weren't.

Definitely better than Last Jedi though because no milking
Milking was one of the best scenes in the movie. Perfectly executes the intention of making the audience experience the discomfort that Luke is subjecting Rey to.
And that is the problem. There are so many other scenes that should have been much, much better than the milking scene. But they weren't.
What an awful post. Go watch Captain America.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom