Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

I really think the Celtics are better than the Cavs next season. IT isn't that good. He's certainly (imo) not as good as Kyrie when both are healthy. Kyrie has his flaws, but LeBron is going to miss Kyrie's elite level of getting buckets in tight post-season games.

I really think that the roster they have now assembled, along with having elite level coaching, that the Celtics are ahead of the Cavs. IT isn't as good as Kyrie. This deal is good for the Cavs long-term but I don't think it makes them any better next season. The Celtics added Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Marcus Morris and Jaylen Brown should be improved enough to contribute next season.

The Celtics added a lot. The Cavs added nothing and swapped Kyrie Irving for IT.

The Cavaliers will have probably the #1 picks back to back seasons, but they will still be completely starting from scratch. That roster is about to completely implode. IT and LeBron are both leaving. Dan Gilbert is not well liked, and Cleveland isn't a desirable place to play. We will see what happens to Cleveland even with almost guaranteed back to back to 3 picks. It should be noted that before LeBron James they were shit, and after LeBron James they were shit. The only reason they won is because he returned- and he's going to leave again.

We're so used to thinking of the Nets as the worst team in the league, but I wonder if that's not the perception in offices anymore. If teams like Indy (maybe), Chicago (definitely), and Sacramento (probably, in the west) are all clearly worse, then that pick is more like the #4-7 pick. In fact the Lakers/SAC pick might be the better asset of the two. If that's the case, this deal makes a lot more sense.

Still, I don't see why they just didn't trade at the deadline for Jimmy Butler. I'm thinking they really, really didn't want anything to do with giving IT a MAX contract going forward.

I added a word, but I strongly believe what you have written is accurate. Next to no buzz and/or media pressure about the Celts signing IT long term, even after his big year. IT clearly views himself as a max player.

I really think the Celtics are better than the Cavs next season. IT isn't that good. He's certainly (imo) not as good as Kyrie when both are healthy. Kyrie has his flaws, but LeBron is going to miss Kyrie's elite level of getting buckets in tight post-season games.

I really think that the roster they have now assembled, along with having elite level coaching, that the Celtics are ahead of the Cavs. IT isn't as good as Kyrie. This deal is good for the Cavs long-term but I don't think it makes them any better next season. The Celtics added Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Marcus Morris and Jaylen Brown should be improved enough to contribute next season.

The Celtics added a lot. The Cavs added nothing and swapped Kyrie Irving for IT.

The Cavs beat the Celtics by a combined bazillion points in the playoffs this year. I'm one who thinks Kyrie's playoff impact is well above Thomas', when you consider what he can do in isolation when easy shots aren't available, but the swap doesn't close the gap on fifty point beatings, dude.

Sorry I am on a tear with the posts here, but I just go back from Men's league and am pretty interested in this conversation. The bolded is the definite upshot for the Cavs - I think they did quite well with future assets.

Celts are still so young and have some defensive holes. Smart and Brown will be counted on to carry a lot of responsibility on the defensive end.

A rim protector is needed.

I can't believe Celtics (potentially) gave up their Nets pick. Amazing deal for Cleveland considering the small amount of leverage they had.

Yeah, that hurts.

Sure, but you have to give to get. With the Cavs roster ready to blow up, the Celtics just put themselves in the drivers seat in the East for the next 3-4 seasons, maybe even a little bit longer. Giving up the Nets pick is hard to do because it would've been such a high pick, but, they were able to trade IT for a better player who is on a longer contract. It would have been bad for the Celtics if they would've been forced to pay IT big bucks on a long term deal.

I am really happy they got Kyrie, that is for certain. I just feel that pick should have been held onto.

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Irving
Brown
---------
Smart
Morris
Rozier
Baynes

Another shooter would be nice, along with a rim protector.

The Cavs beat the Celtics by a combined bazillion points in the playoffs this year. I'm one who thinks Kyrie's playoff impact is well above Thomas', when you consider what he can do in isolation when easy shots aren't available, but the swap doesn't close the gap on fifty point beatings, dude.

Kyrie is much much better than IT. TBH I think IT is overrated. I think he's benefited quite a bit from playing in two environments very friendly for him. He played in Jeff Hornacek's very fast paced, PG friendly offense in Phoenix, and then played under Brad Stevens, one of the best coaches in the world. It is very interesting to me to see how IT does now that he will no longer be dominating the ball- that is of course what LeBron will be doing. What made Kyrie such a great Robin to LeBron is that, despite being small and labeled as a "PG" Kyrie is an absolute bucket getter. An elite, freak level one on one scorer. IT is good, but in terms of his ability to get buckets off ball one on one, I don't think he's in Kyrie's league (very, very few are) and I think not having the ball in his hands and constantly being put in screen and roll situations like he's used to will hurt IT a bit.

I see two teams that are going in opposite directions. The Cavs just got shit kicked in the NBA finals, and did nothing to improve their roster. Their second best player demanded a trade, and LeBron is almost surely leaving the Cavs after this season. One could make the point that the Cavs could be going through a deteriorating locker room/culture with major changes on the way. The Celtics on the other hand, have an elite level coach and a very good culture in place. They are on the ascend, and have been overachieving well above their talent since Stevens took over. They now have actual high end talent. Hayward is a huge addition for them on the wing and a great culture guy, they drafted Tatum, and it might not happen immediately, but Tatum is going to be a big time scorer in the NBA. And of course they just traded for Irving, a high end scorer who will (IMO) see his efficiency numbers going up playing for a coach that will maximize his talent and minimize his deficiencies- which is what he's done for almost all of his players since he began coaching in the NBA.

I think that with LeBron on the way out, the Celtics significantly upgrading their talent, having superior coaching and culture, that they will beat the Cavs in the Eastern Conference finals- assuming both teams are healthy. To me, this isn't very interesting- the Celtics will dominate the East for a few years. What's interesting is what happens in the West . If Melo is traded to Houston, LeBron and PG go to LA, the West is going to be fucking bonkers.

I am really happy they got Kyrie, that is for certain. I just feel that pick should have been held onto.

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Irving
Brown
---------
Smart
Morris
Rozier
Baynes

There are a bunch of good bigs in next year's class. The Celtics should be able to find a good player that fits their needs. Bagley, Ayton will surely be off of the board by the time their Lakers pick rolls around, but depending on what teams need, I could see Bamba or Robinson being available for them- also, I think Wendell Carter Jr will be sought after by many teams once they see his ability to rebound as well as score in the post and his (hopefully) developing perimeter skills. Based on what the Celtics need, I think they made the right decision. What they need in next year's draft they will find regardless of whether they are picking 1st or 7th. Next year's class is deep with bigs. Bagley, Ayton, Robinson, Bamba, Carter Jr, McCoy, etc

Tatum just has to see a lot of time this year, probably at the 4. If Morris is on the floor taking important shots in the last 2 minutes, I will rip my balls off. Morris is my problem now, SMTTEM.

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Irving
Brown
---------
Smart
Morris
Rozier
Baynes

There are a bunch of good bigs in next year's class. The Celtics should be able to find a good player that fits their needs. Bagley, Ayton will surely be off of the board by the time their Lakers pick rolls around, but depending on what teams need, I could see Bamba or Robinson being available for them- also, I think Wendell Carter Jr will be sought after by many teams once they see his ability to rebound as well as score in the post and his (hopefully) developing perimeter skills. Based on what the Celtics need, I think they made the right decision. What they need in next year's draft they will find regardless of whether they are picking 1st or 7th. Next year's class is deep with bigs. Bagley, Ayton, Robinson, Bamba, Carter Jr, McCoy, etc

Bamba or Carter would be a huge addition. I hope it plays out that way.

Tatum might start the season in the starting 5, like for marketing reasons or something. If he finishes it there, he will have had one of the greatest 19-year old seasons in NBA history.

Tatum might start the season in the starting 5, like for marketing reasons or something. If he finishes it there, he will have had one of the greatest 19-year old seasons in NBA history.

Yeah, I guess I went over the top. I am just not a fan of Morris at all, and would rather see JT out there.

Don't think Stevens or Ainge has any interest in starting anyone for marketing reasons.

I guess he'll be on the bench then.

Seriously, there has been exactly one good 19-year old season for an elite team, and that's Kobe in his second year.

People thinking this makes the Celtics better than the Cavs are not aware of how bad Tatum will be this season and how much Crowder will help the Cavs.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom