Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

I'm reading random articles and Reddit comments discussing this season, the Cavs, LeBron, Love, the Celtics, Kyrie, Tatum, other stuff, and it dawned on me mentally, totally disconnected from what I'm actually feeling, that I'm going to be rooting for the Celtics and against the Cavs beginning tomorrow. I thought I was still a Cavs fan until just now. I won't feel this until I watch them play, though I'm aware of it being imminent. Strange feeling.

Tough to predict for me. I still feel like I like the Cavs and Lebron. To complicate things further, Kyrie has become less admirable for me in the last couple of years, though I still love his playing style. I am sure the first time I watch the Cavs play the Celtics, though, I will start hating the Cavs. And I am sure I will start loving them again as soon as they play the Warriors.

I have lots of love for Lebron, but I have always been an Celts fan (I cheered for them when Erik Williams was their #1 scoring option, FFS). Pretty exciting times right now, though I think they are 2 years away from reaching the finals.

Go Green.

Celtics are going to be a lot of fun to watch this season. I am definitely rooting for them over the Cavaliers. I like Brad Stevens a lot, the Celtics have Kyrie and Tatum, Duke guys, and I like Hayward and Horford as players. Outside of LeBron there isn't much I would really root for on the Cavaliers.

Obviously if the Cavaliers are in the finals against the Warriors I'll root for them, but my favorite team out of the East (besides the Knicks but they suck) will be the Celtics.

It's pretty remarkable that the NBA has become so dominated by just a few times that as a Knicks fan I'm willing to root for the Celtics this year. My team sucks so bad and has been so bad for so long, and only a handful of teams could realistically have even a small shot at winning it. Basketball just doesn't have the parody like MLB of the NFL does where a team can come in under the radar and perform well in the post-season against the teams with higher expectations. I guess it's good and bad, because generally the regular season is more boring for the most part, but the playoff matchups are well built up hype wise assuming they actually happen, like Celtics-Cavs and Rockets-Thunder and then one of them against the Warriors.

Ironically, the NBA has the best system for crowning the best team, but the Warriors have made it so it would be better for the league if the NBA had any other playoff format for the next few seasons.

Single game elimination in a ladder format, where the top teams get the most bye rounds, would be ideal for revenues and TV ratings both in regular season and postseason, IMO, though it would obviously be bad for determining the best team. Bottom 8 teams would play a game against each other (1v8, 2v7, etc.), with higher seed given home court. Next 4 worst teams play the winners. Next 4 worst teams play those winners, etc., until you get to the 2 teams grouped at the top (30 total teams). The 4 winners from the prior round play each other, and then you go semifinals and finals.

Best 2 teams in this format would only need to win 2 games to win the title, but if they lose any single game, they are out. No need to go to 3-game series or 5-game series somewhere along the way, since having 6 rounds of byes for the top 2 teams should be a big enough advantage. Bottom 8 teams would need to win 8 straight games to win the title, but they at least have a not-impossible chance of playing out of their minds for 8 games and winning the title, so their fans would be engaged all season.

Revenue sharing from arena/ticket sales would need to penalize lower seeds and benefit higher seeds enough for it to still be worth it financially to be a higher seed.

This is totally outlandish, of course, and I would not really want it to happen. What we are getting instead is another season of the Warriors having already won the title before the first regular season game is played.

It's easy enough to cheer for the Celtics knowing that they don't have a real chance of beating Cleveland in the postseason anyway. Like Duke Football playing FSU in the ACC title game.

Now if some super optimistic projection comes to pass and the ECF goes to 6 or more games, and GS for some reason actually looks beatable, well, i'm not sure yet how i'll react.

I think the Celtics can beat the Cavs. I think they have superior coaching and the additions of Irving and Hayward have given them enough of power to give the Cavaliers a worthwhile fight. Assuming both teams are healthy I would be shocked if a Cavs-Cetics series didn't go at least 6.

Looking forward to the season starting tomorrow night. Will be interested to see if Jordan Bell gets any time tomorrow night as it seems like the type of game he'd thrive in.

Excited about the Celtics squad all around. It felt weird pulling against them when they played the Cavs last season, just because they were the younger, scrappier, team. Since then, they got rid of Tyler Zeller, and added Kyrie and Tatum, so, yeah, it's pretty easy. Plus, I like watching some of their young talent like Brown, Rozier and Nader, too.

I haven't watched NBA preseason games in ever. I'm excited by all of the player movement, and I think, even if they aren't legit title contenders, Houston, OKC and Celts will all be really fun to watch. I'm especially interested in how D'Antoni will use Harden and Paul.

As for the East, I have always hated Ainge, ever since his glory-boy days at BYU where he was basically a Great White Hope figure for a racist America. But watching the Celts will be great, I look forward to seeing Kyrie shed his chucker label while being more of a facilitator in a legitimate NBA offense. I am also curious to watch Tatum's development.

I think they will be a stiff challenge to the Cavs this year, especially since they are so stylistically different.

ETA I also think the Lakers will be fun to watch.

The teams I am most interested in watching: Celtics, Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, 76ers, Timberwolves, Cavs, Jazz. Roughly in that order. Milwaukee jumps in there with a healthy Jabari.

No extenderino. Easy prediction: He’ll do enough to get the max next summer, and Bucks will match, or he’ll get injured again and his career will be filled with short-term prove-it deals.

The nation's first introduction to Tatum will be a marquee game where he's matched up with guarding a LeBron James who will be motivated to embarrass Kyrie and his new team.

Was listening to the game preview on CLNS and the real reason for this is that Marcus Morris will be out with knee soreness.

I agree with what has been said. Big LeBron fan but can see myself rooting for the Celtics since Kyrie and Tatum have joined. Anything can change, but I still see Cleveland beating Boston. They have no rim protection and a lot of average/below average defenders. Although when LeBron leaves next years, I think the East is theirs for the taking assuming LeBron goes to the Western Conference

I will say the Cavs in 6 in the ECF. Possibly fewer if everyone for them is healthy.

Celtics should try to stand pat with this lineup until the Warriors window closes. The Cavs don't matter. Beating them only to get swept by the Warriors is irrelevant.

So I'm in a fantasy basketball league for the first time. I have no damn clue how it works. Anyone have a simple explanation for dummies?

So I'm in a fantasy basketball league for the first time. I have no damn clue how it works. Anyone have a simple explanation for dummies?
Depends on the league. I've played in various leagues over the years. Many of them have dramatically different scoring and game play.

My fantasy team:

G-Steph
G-Klay
G-Tim Hardaway jr
G- Rodney Hood
F- Porzingis
F-Tobias Harris
F- Crowder
F- Gallinari
C- Jokic
Flex- Brogdon

bench
Batum
Kaminsky
Mirotic

So, Cook just signed with the Warriors.

The bad news: it's a two-way contract, which means it's for their 16th spot, and means he can only spend a limited amount of time with the team relative to the G-League.

The good news: he'll make at least $76k playing basketball for the Warriors organization this year.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom