Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

Playing 40 games like Duke did in '10 boosts the dunk opportunities. In '16 our interior defense sucked, and everyone loves dunking on a Plumlee.

2017 preseason ratings for posterity:

TEWMmeg.png

Should come out Sunday, October 22 this year.

Looking forward to another top 25 projected ranking on defense. Duke preseason defense is Pomeroy's biggest systemic error at this point, overtaking the Wisconsin phenomenon (low talent, slow tempo, high execution against low talent).

His computer is learning. That seems fair to me. I might project defense a bit lower, 40-45.

Wichita State at 4/5/5 will be laughable until their best players are healthy. He’s taking a reputational hit by putting them in their right spot at first. I agree that Wichita State should be favored over Duke head to head with all players at full strength.

Northwestern top 20, practically tied for 2nd in Big Ten behind MSU. Marquette top 50. ASU top 100. Getting there.

Last edited:
Toughest games of the season for Duke, according to Pomeroy:

1. At 14 North Carolina
2. At 27 Miami
3. 10 Michigan State (Chicago)

Gap

4. At 44 Georgia Tech
5. At 47 Clemson
6. At 53 Virginia Tech
7. 9 Virginia
8. At 51 St. John’s*
9. At 57 Wake Forest
10. 13 North Carolina
11. At 65 Indiana

* Interestingly, Pomeroy is not giving full home court advantage to St. John’s despite giving the game full “home” designation for SJU rather than “semi-home.” This confirms that Madison Square Garden is objectively and historically more favorable to Duke than, say, Virginia Tech’s arena, even when the opponent is SJU at MSG. This is why Pomeroy has 51 St. John’s as a slightly easier opponent than 53 Virginia Tech, despite each opponent having full “home” designation.

This will be the all-determining stretch of the season:

Tue Jan 23 - at 57 Wake Forest
Sat Jan 27 - 9 Virginia
Mon Jan 29 - 22 Notre Dame
Sat Feb 3 - at 51 St. John's
Thu Feb 8 - at 13 North Carolina
Sun Feb 11 - at 44 Georgia Tech

5-1 is the dream. 4-2 is the goal. 3-3 is not a disaster. 6-0 would be a strong indication that this is the best team in the country.

This will be the all-determining stretch of the season:

Tue Jan 23 - at 57 Wake Forest
Sat Jan 27 - 9 Virginia
Mon Jan 29 - 22 Notre Dame
Sat Feb 3 - at 51 St. John's
Thu Feb 8 - at 13 North Carolina
Sun Feb 11 - at 44 Georgia Tech

5-1 is the dream. 4-2 is the goal. 3-3 is not a disaster. 6-0 would be a strong indication that this is the best team in the country.
I'll set my expectations for 2-4 then

Duke is the only team in America with 5 starters currently projected to be 1st-round picks.

I'll take that over what Pomeroy says. I mean, he has Kentucky at number 2 and they are just a worse version of us. More depth but no Grayson.

Yes, I am perturbed by that ranking.

He has no one at nothing. It's a math equation. He isn't picking based off jersey colors.

It is his freakin' formula, therefore, he has Kentucky at 2. Simple concept for those of us who aren't pedantic.

He has no one at nothing. It's a math equation. He isn't picking based off jersey colors.

It is his freakin' formula, therefore, he has Kentucky at 2. Simple concept for those of us who aren't pedantic.

It's input/output. It uses numbers. It doesn't matter if you like it or not. He didn't set up the formula so Kentucky would be #2. It's preseason. It's not a ranking.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom