Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

Will suck when we fail to make the second weekend with five first round draft picks in the starting lineup.

I'm cool with not having Duke #1, although I think they are. But that's insane that his system has U.K. higher. I'd argue that Duke is better than them at every single position.

Jesus fucking Christ you two, all he can input is data from returning players and a best guess at what the newbs will do. Duke lost a ton of production--Tatum, Kennard, Amile, Jackson, Jones Giles--there is only 1 player on the roster who played any meaningful minutes last year, and that guy got suspended and lost his mind.

If Duke plays well, the game data will reflect it in the ratings.

I hope we're not going to argue about whether Kenpom is right or wrong on this site. This is how arguing about whether climate change exists came about. These are numbers from a computer that uses a formula that is adjusted every year based on 16 years of data from all D-I teams during that time. There is no subjective opinion involved. It's just the baseline result derived from every game played in D-I college basketball since 2001-2002. We use Kenpom to inform our opinions, not to set them exactly for us.

Whatever opinions someone has about team A or team B may end up being more accurate than the Kenpom numbers over the entire season. The good thing about sports is that players often overperform or underperform when making a single play, or in a single game, or even over an entire season, because they are not computers. This can move everything about that player and his team from the baseline to something much better or much worse. Duke fans are hoping for a lot of overperformance (e.g., the entire Duke team vs 91 UNLV, Laettner vs 92 Kentucky, Battier/JWill in 01, Zoubek in 10, Allen vs 15 Wisconsin II), because the objective expectation for 2018 is to be a top 10 team that isn't a dominant #1.

My personal opinion is that Kentucky should be higher than Duke because, based on the past few seasons, Kentucky should be expected to play defense at a significantly higher level than Duke, while Kentucky's offense should also be expected to be excellent. The mainstream college basketball media are people who aren't good enough to cover the NBA, so it's not surprising that they would ignore defense and rank Duke #1.

Last edited:
Decided to spend five seconds googling instead of just being an asshole. Looks like RSCI rankings, and really only gives weight to top 25-30 guys. Makes sense.

Currently sitting as the #1 offensive rebounding team in the country. I know Pomeroy takes into account competition, but even still I imagine that to regress some when not playing tiny teams. However it seems we're at least going to be nationally elite at it for the first time since 2010.

Still isn't passing my eye test as an elite offense, but I guess that's my confirmation bias. I've been conditioned by 20 years of Duke basketball to think when we aren't bombing from 3, the offense must be struggling.

Then again when I think back, i'm glossing over the 5 sequences a game in which Bagley demoralizes the other team on some second effort tip in or dunk. Even Bolden got in on that action tonight.

Our offense improved. Our defense is at #41, but we all know it's worse than that.

Different year, completely different roster and style of play, same defensive and offensive splits.

2-3 zone is what we better fucking play the rest of the year. Best defense for this team until they can learn man to man.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom