Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

What a weird day today was. It's my Dad's birthday but he had to go to Omaha because my sister had to go to the ER after faceplanting last night after drinking too much alcohol. She managed to break her nose, get a concussion and basically her face is all red and scratched up. So that's the first thing I hear from my dad this morning when he calls me. Then he says "oh and that's not all, your brother got hit by a car last night". So I'm thinking he was driving and his car was hit. Nope, a car literally hit him while he was going to the passenger side of his friend's vehicle and then drove off. He knows who the person who was driving too. Fortunately he only has a concussion as he got hit and then his head hit the side of his friend's car, no broken bones or anything. Weird day.

What a weird day today was. It's my Dad's birthday but he had to go to Omaha because my sister had to go to the ER after faceplanting last night after drinking too much alcohol. She managed to break her nose, get a concussion and basically her face is all red and scratched up. So that's the first thing I hear from my dad this morning when he calls me. Then he says "oh and that's not all, your brother got hit by a car last night". So I'm thinking he was driving and his car was hit. Nope, a car literally hit him while he was going to the passenger side of his friend's vehicle and then drove off. He knows who the person who was driving too. Fortunately he only has a concussion as he got hit and then his head hit the side of his friend's car, no broken bones or anything. Weird day.

Be very careful the next few days.

But seriously,best wishes for bro and sis.

No idea where I'd put this so if it needs to be moved that's cool.

Anybody know a thing about HVAC?

Bought my house 3ish yrs ago. Furnace/AC is the original and house was built in 94. I've had to service this fucker 3-4 times already. Now it's cutting off after being on for about 5-10 seconds. Burning smell follows, which I'm sure is dust.

Anyone know the prices of replacing an entire unit? My house is around 1400sq ft.

My guess would be $75, but I have a home warranty, so they fix it for $75 every year.

I used to have a home warranty, but then I decided it was useless. 2 months later my AC went out. It was $3500 to replace the whole system.

The problem is, they will keep on fixing it until it is unfixable instead of just replacing it and sometimes it takes a week for them to get there. Eventually, they will need to just replace it. I will say they $500/year has been worth it. My house is 20 years old.

A week in August without AC in NC can really suck.

No idea where I'd put this so if it needs to be moved that's cool.

Anybody know a thing about HVAC?

Bought my house 3ish yrs ago. Furnace/AC is the original and house was built in 94. I've had to service this fucker 3-4 times already. Now it's cutting off after being on for about 5-10 seconds. Burning smell follows, which I'm sure is dust.

Anyone know the prices of replacing an entire unit? My house is around 1400sq ft.

Depends on how good of a system you want to put in and what your market is, and what the contractor thinks of your ductwork. Could be $2000, could be $4000.
Check online to see if there are any rebates for upgrading to a more efficient unit. If there's anything out there, replace the unit while it's still (somewhat) working. Lots of times the rebates only apply if you're replacing a functioning system.
Don't put it off, now is a good time to find contractors who aren't busy and you probably don't really need your system for a few more weeks. HVAC people get real popular when temps are below 40 or above 90.

Cmon, if you are going to replace the whole system, get mini splits.

How well do your mini splits handle humidity? That's the big negative I keep reading about them and it's what keeps me from installing them in my own houses. I can handle an 80 degree house in August with a ceiling fan if the humidity % is sub-50's, but 75 degrees and 70% humidity is a big NO for me.

Cmon, if you are going to replace the whole system, get mini splits.

How well do your mini splits handle humidity? That's the big negative I keep reading about them and it's what keeps me from installing them in my own houses. I can handle an 80 degree house in August with a ceiling fan if the humidity % is sub-50's, but 75 degrees and 70% humidity is a big NO for me.
I live at the beach, its almost always 99.9% humidity here. Mine work great.

It'd still be hella expensive for him to install, like 3x the cost of a regular unit and then he'd have to get all the holes covered where the vents and return were, as well as the exterior opening for the original unit.

It might be worth it if he plans on keeping the house forever, but if it was me and I intended to sell in the next 10 years, I'd just stick with what's already there.

It'd still be hella expensive for him to install, like 3x the cost of a regular unit and then he'd have to get all the holes covered where the vents and return were, as well as the exterior opening for the original unit.

It might be worth it if he plans on keeping the house forever, but if it was me and I intended to sell in the next 10 years, I'd just stick with what's already there.
All of these things are true.

Farmer, I won't be in this house forever. I'd like to be out in 2yrs. It's my first home.

My situation was unique. I bought a house that had no AC and baseboard heat. There was no way I was going to have vents and ductwork cut into my house. When I decided to add an apartment under my house, I put mini splits in everywhere, cost me about 4K installed.

$3500? Did you have to replace the condenser and the handler? We just replaced ours and it cost $8 g's.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom