Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Podcast Thread

Keep in mind that several podcast formats can be embedded using the /MEDIA tags.

My favorite podcasts are either comedy (Comedy Bang Bang, U Talkin' U2 To Me, Off Book) or basketball-related. The best NBA podcast is Open Floor and the best college one is Sports Eye on College Basketball.

Can't recommend Open Floor strongly enough for people here. Perfect mix of humor, hot takes, and serious analysis.

I have listened to some episodes of J.J.'s podcast and the Freakonomics one. I enjoy both.

Switched on Pop is an often-interesting breakdown of contemporary pop songs, co-hosted by a Stanford musicologist and a professional songwriter. In a similar vein as Song Exploder, but without the artists' involvement.

I'm also into crime/mystery/documentary podcasts, and there is an absolute fuckload of shitty ones out there. But in this category, S-Town is (was) pretty spectacular. And there's a new one called Atlanta Monster, about the Wayne Williams child murders case, that's pretty good so far. The previous podcast by the Atlanta Monster creator was called Up and Vanished, and it actually led to the solving of a very cold kidnapping and murder case.

There's also a music one called Turned Up, which is primarily about how the music industry is built on lies. It's pretty informative and enlightening. The hosts are two bandmates/working musicians in Nashville, but they're a little dorky and can be an acquired taste.

Last edited:
In Our Time BBC 4 podcasts. They go back to the 90s. Host brings in 3 experts to talk about almost any topic (history, science, art, etc). Lasts 42-50 minutes. Interviewer is excellent.

History of Rome podcast by Mike Duncan is also excellent. From founding of Rome to 476 BC.

Dan Carlin has the perfect voice for his Hardcore History podcast also. Sucked when I caught up on the old availables because they come out every 3-6 months and are 5 hours in length. I hate waiting for the next one.

History of Rome was fucking incredible.

His current podcast, Revolutions, is also great. Covers the English Civil War, American Revolution, French Revolution, and a ton of others.

Really like Pardon My Take, also. PFTcommenter would be a perfect fit on this board if he gave a shit about college basketball. Just a hilarious dude who does an amazing job cutting through the bullshit narratives that dominate mainstream sports analysis.

By the way, I'm surprised its taken a board comprised of know-it-all 30something white dudes this long to start a podcast thread.

History of Rome was fucking incredible.

His current podcast, Revolutions, is also great. Covers the English Civil War, American Revolution, French Revolution, and a ton of others.

I enjoyed that, too, but the Bolivar Revolutions went on way too long and I haven't gotten back into it. I am addicted to In Our Time now.

Planet Money - marketplace/economy podcast
Radiolab- not sure how to classify except really good storytelling
99% invisible - a design podcast about stuff around us we don’t notice
Intelligence Squared - Oxford style debates
Decode DC - insiders view of DC politics that is fairly balanced

These sound good. My commute isn’t long enough to get through more than Simmons and NYT Daily each week, though.

yeah my commute involves taking my son to daycare so I don't listen to anything anymore

I am such a pro at tuning out kids while driving. It annoys my wife that I'm so amazing at it.

We had our 1st kid when I was a fellow and I was on call every 4th night. My wife breast fed and my kid wouldn't take a bottle so she would always have to wake up with him so I learned to tune the noise out. He's 11 now and I have 2 others and I barely hear anything they or my wife ever say.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom