Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Wendell Carter Jr.

rome8180

Legend
Because TorontoDuke requested it, and because I'm in love:

Not many recent videos, but here's some DraftExpress info (including more footage):

http://search.draftexpress.com/profile/ ... ter-83183/

6'10" in shoes. 249 pounds. 7'3" wingspan. 9'1" standing reach. Here's what they said about him on June 4th. I disagree with the part about his shotblocking, for the record. He blocked eight shots in the game I watched yesterday.

"A consensus top-10 recruit, Wendell Carter (#5 Scout, #10 ESPN, #8 Rivals, #3 24/7) continues to grow, adding around an inch of height, wingspan and reach since last October according to the measurements, bringing him closer to NBA center dimensions. The same can be said for his basketball ability, as he was an absolute dominant force at times during the training camp this past week. Carter can score with his back to the basket thanks to his ripped 249 pound frame, solid footwork, and nice instincts, using hook shots and powerful explosive finishes, but didn't force the issue much, as he's extremely patient for a player his age. He was a consistent presence on the offensive glass with his near 7-4 wingspan, and defensively, wasn't afraid to throw his body around, even if he isn't much of a shot-blocker at this stage considering his excellent reach."

I wasn't able to find any high school stats for him, except for six games listed by MaxPreps. And those were very rudimentary stats. They didn't seem reliable either. Did he really take 40 threes in six games? That's Steph Curry-level (except that he apparently only made five).

Last edited by a moderator:
JXZY_spts_MAOW.jpg
egEpR6A-.jpg

wendell%2Bcarter.jpg

He especially displayed his promise earlier in the season with a 24-point, 28-rebound performance in Pace’s 61-58 loss to Wasatch (Utah) Academy in the Holiday Hoopsgiving tournament at Holy Innocents’ Nov. 29.

Carter had a similar showing in the Knights’ 59-48 victory over Holy Innocents’ Jan. 6 with 24 points, 25 rebounds and six blocked shots.

“Wendell is a great defender, he rebounds and he blocks out,” Pace coach Demetrius Smith said. “He’s very unselfish and he’s a force inside.”

http://neighbornewspapers.com/view/full ... Carter-Jr-

This is Duke-Forum's Jesus, IMO.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't already post here.

As an aside, I've assumed he was a chubby, unathletic space eater for the last six months or so because of this picture Slater posted on BDL:

3601598.jpg

This is already the greatest thread in Duke Forum history. I assume he will be the greatest player in Duke basketball history.

Meet the 6’9″, 240 lbs. sophomore power forward that has college coaches from across the country knocking on his door. With prestigious basketball programs such as the University of Kentucky and Duke University attempting to lure the highly touted prospect, Wendell Carter is poised for success wherever he chooses to play collegiate basketball. But there is more to Wendell than his amazing basketball skills.

Wendell came to Pace this school year from Fulton Leadership Academy in East Point, Georgia, and he has loved every minute of it. “Pace is the school that is just right for someone like myself,” said Wendell. “Pace is getting me ready both academically and socially for college.” With his college interest skyrocketing, he has noted the values of “good academics and a strong family environment,” at whatever college he attends, along with a strong basketball program. Wendell is very aware that college is about more than basketball and he is making sure colleges recruiting him know this as well.

Wendell has had an amazing season thus far for the Pace Knights, with one of his best games coming against rival school Holy Innocents’ in a 59-48 win on Jan. 6 as he scored 24 points, snatched 25 rebounds, and recorded a remarkable 9 blocks. He knows that game was one of the highlights of the season for not only himself, but the team as a whole. “That was one of our best games,” said Wendell, “we seemed to be playing at our peak.”

Ranked number one heading into the playoffs, Pace has been playing at their peak all season with a 23-2 regular season record, but Wendell thinks they can get even better. “We have a good team right now,” said Wendell, “but we can become unstoppable if we fix a few minor errors.” The team has made an immense jump since last year, and much of the credit can be given to Wendell for his presence in the post offensively and defensively.

“Wendell fits right into our style of play,” said head basketball coach Demetrius Smith, “He is a great defender and unselfish player. His basketball IQ allows him to keep everybody around him involved on both ends of the court.” Coach Smith also noted Wendell’s dedication off the court to his academics.”Wendell loves to compete on the court and in the classroom,” said Coach Smith

Athletic Director Palmerton also had high praise of the new sophomore. “I didn’t know Wendell well when he was interviewing, but got to know him during the hardship of eligibility process. I was very impressed, just a very nice young man. It’s obvious to me that he’s very bright and very good at basketball.”

Wendell has other interests outside of basketball. “I like to build stuff,” said Wendell. But Wendell’s main focus is the game he is so well known for and he knows that he has a bright future ahead in the world of basketball.

This is the one we've been waiting for. The player that will be motivated enough to use Duke's SportsVU access to modify his playing style on a game by game basis, in a battieresque fashion.

Evan Daniels compared him to Okafor this morning, but he looks like more of a shot blocker than Okafor and I don't see the refined post moves yet. Regardless, kid is a stud.

Comparing him to Okafor is as lazy as it gets by Daniels. It would've been nice to keep this thread Okafor-free. Contaminated.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but good to hear anyway. I'm copying the whole article to save others the trouble of having to take a survey to read it.

Top 2017 recruit loves Duke, cool on Cats
Kyle Tucker, @KyleTucker_CJ 5:05 p.m. EDT July 10, 2015
Wendell Carter
(Photo: Jon Lopez, Jon Lopez)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. – One clear takeaway so far from this year's Peach Jam, the top college basketball recruiting event of the summer, is that defending national champion Duke is on a roll.

The Blue Devils are favorites to land both Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum, the No. 1 and No. 3 players in Scout.com's Class of 2016 rankings, and several other elite prospects here are singing Mike Krzyzewski's praises. To that point, John Calipari and Kentucky apparently have some work to do if they'd like to land Wendell Carter, Scout's No. 2 prospect in 2017.

"Probably Duke, I would say, is the very top school that's working the hardest," Carter said. "I hear from them every day."

The 6-foot-10 Carter, who averaged 17 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in leading his Georgia Stars to a 3-0 start at Peach Jam, was impressed that Krzyzewski sat courtside for his game Friday morning. Of course, that's because Carter is as skilled and versatile a big man as there is in high school basketball.

"He's really interested in me," Carter said of Coach K. "It's very unlikely for the head coach to come see your game. They usually send an assistant or something. Knowing they sent the head coach makes me feel kind of special."

Peach Jam | 2017 5-star Wendell Carter updates recruitment, talks UK. Kyle Tucker/The C-J

And what of Kentucky, which has a reputation for landing and developing talented post players before sending them off to become NBA lottery picks? Calipari wasted no time offering him a scholarship, but the courtship since has not been intense.

"I haven't heard from them much," Carter said Friday. "I hear from them every once in a while."

Who's his main contact with the Cats?

"Uh, what's that assistant over there?" he asked a reporter, who suggested UK's Kenny Payne. "Yep, yep. That's him."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Kentucky's chances with Carter. Then there's this snowballing Duke recruiting momentum. Carter said he talks to Tatum and Giles and a handful of other major Blue Devils targets in both the 2016 and 2017 classes.

"I always joke with them that we could all be a big package deal going there," he said. "That would be crazy."

Those comments are to a Kentucky newspaper too. Very good sign.

“[Duke is] a pretty good program,” Carter said. “I hear from them every day, knowing that they really want me. Some schools I don’t hear from often. I only hear from them when I do outstanding things. But with Duke, it’s like every day they could call me.”

Carter mentioned he wanted to visit [Duke and Kentucky] soon, along with Harvard and North Carolina, hoping to learn more and ultimately find a school that will allow him to improve as a player. And yet, Carter said his decision wouldn’t be based on basketball alone.

“Of course, academics,” Carter said. “That’s the priority, number one.”

Sure sounds like we are going to have four years of a nerd Karl Towns at Duke. A defensively excellent big man who could deservedly go #1 in the draft after each of his four seasons in college but chooses to finish his triple major in engineering and get a Master's degree over four years instead. Good value.

The more recent articles, including the one just posted at 247Sports, make it sound like UK is way more of a player in this than the article I posted above did. None of the last three articles I've read have exactly given me a warm fuzzy feeling. It's been a while since I've had my recruiting heart broken. Hopefully he's not the one.

In the meantime, here are some highlight videos.

Someone who knows this movie well should pick appropriate scenes to edit Wendell Carter and Coach K's heads into so we can spam Carter's twitter with it.

Chat users

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 1
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back