Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ohio State Post Game Reaction

Topher

All American
Ohio State Post Game Reaction

I used to have a small stone basketball with an inscription on the base of it that read: “There is nothing less important than the score at halftime.”

As a kid, I agreed with this, convincing myself of all those fantastical sports cliches like “It ain’t over til it’s over.” or anything about fat ladies singing. I regarded this marble sphere as a motivational tactic to convince myself to never give up until you are beaten. This kind of inspiration led me and the orange team to a 6-0 record in the U11 division (Suck it, Purple!)

However, as last night’s game against Ohio State showed, my blind eye to the halftime score was a trick of the youth in me. If I had been cleverer, like the all-time winningest coach in college basketball history, I might have understood that the halftime score can be the best stimulant to a team.

Watching Duke plod along in the first half without any idea how to crack the shell of the Buckeye defense was almost insufferable. Trip after trip, possession after possession, Duke was denied entry passes, denied drives, denied open shots, denied offensive rebounds, and denied hope that they could score. The Blue Devils looked either timid or fatigued and their aggression was only rewarded at the free throw line where they netted 10 of 12 to account for nearly half of their 23 points.

From 14:38 to 4:12 in the first half, Duke couldn’t get a bucket even if they came in a Spotify email telling you that your friend Maggie added Imagine Dragons to her playlist. The best offense Duke had was the rare dump down to Plumlee which led to a drawn foul. This ten minute draught between made field goals was due in part to incredible defense by the Buckeyes but also, to me, seemed like hesitation and over thinking. Every time Duke attacked and was denied, Quinn Cook reset the offense. This happened at least twice per shot clock set on almost every possession of that stretch.

Duke wasn’t pulling the trigger and it showed as Duke was doubled up in field goals attempted at one point during that bucket famine. This was due in large part to the offensive boards that the Buckeyes were crashing like cars at the IIHS. A typical sequence in that game went like this:

9:13 Seth Curry missed Jumper.
9:13 Amir Williams Defensive Rebound.
8:58 LaQuinton Ross missed Three Point Jumper.
8:58 Amir Williams Offensive Rebound.
8:53 Shannon Scott missed Three Point Jumper.
8:53 Mason Plumlee Defensive Rebound.
8:26 Foul on LaQuinton Ross
8:26 Ryan Kelly made Free Throw.
8:26 Ryan Kelly made Free Throw.
8:11 Aaron Craft missed Jumper.
8:11 Aaron Craft Offensive Rebound. 
8:07 Lenzelle Smith, Jr. missed Three Point Jumper.
8:07 LaQuinton Ross Offensive Rebound.
8:02 LaQuinton Ross missed Jumper.
8:02 Mason Plumlee Block.
8:02 Shannon Scott Offensive Rebound.

One shot attempt, two made free throws, and one rebound from Duke. Five shot attempts, five rebounds, four offensive for Ohio State. As Duke learned in 2010, when you are presented with consistent second and third chances, the more effective the offense becomes. It’s the biggest indicator as to why Duke finally took that big step forward when Brian Zoubek turned into a rebounding mountain.

So, Duke went into recess down eight. Undoubtedly getting an ass-chewing for their lazy play and tentativeness that built that deficit. There was probably some play diagramming by K, clapping and face-contorting by Cook, and squirrel-pondering by Rodney Hood. Whatever happened in there, the Duke that came out brought focus and aggression back to the game. They also brought out Rasheed Sulaimon.

The freshman was a non-factor for the first half, playing strong on ball defense but brought nothing offensively. After the break, Sulaimon started to attack the rim and suddenly realized he was a 41% shooter from outside and that he had a green light.

Repeatedly, as Duke would chip away at the lead, OSU would go down and get another bucket. The eight point lead remained until the 15:00 mark where Sulaimon put it into fifth gear. Rasheed scored 11 of the next 21 points for the Blue Devils, inspiring the play of his brethren. Along with him, Duke’s best defender (yeah, I said it) Ryan Kelly found his excellent mid-range game again and by the 6:00 mark, the game was tied at 53.

It wasn’t your typical Duke 10-2 run but the circumstances in the game leave it nonetheless impressive. Consider this: Duke scored just 12 points in the last 13 minutes of the first half on 2-11 shooting. In the second half, from the 16:00 mark to the 6:00 mark, (when Duke tied the game at 53) Duke shot 11-15 for 26 points.

The fire and heart in this team is evident and spearheaded by the emotional leader of the team, Quinn Cook. The 1 guard was fantastic against arguably the best on-ball defender in the country finishing with just 3 turnovers (only one forced by Craft) to his 8 assists. Craft did “hold” Cook to 3-10 shooting but that’s including two wide open missed threes and two missed layups altered by Evan Ravenel and Deshaun Thomas.

On a side note, I texted a buddy of mine about Cook last night and told him, I feel more comfortable with Cook as our lead guard than I have with anyone since Jason Williams. Kyrie basically doesn’t count because I’m 87% sure I dreamed his playing time at Duke and I love Duhon but his production regressed as the lead ball-handler when Williams left.

Now, Ohio State very much proved that Duke isn’t invincible by any means and has a very serious flaw. The fact that the Buckeyes were able to get 16 offensive boards is a huge red flag. Duke often left Plumlee to fend for himself for rebounds (after all, he grabbed HALF of Duke’s team boards in the game, 32.7% on the season) and when Plumlee wasn’t outnumbered 3 to 1 fighting for rebounds, he was getting properly boxed out and sealed.

This needs to be fixed and a lot of hopes are being pinned on Marshall Plumlee as a remedy for this flaw. I’m not sure he’s a definite fix but if he’s not, Duke will need to get more out of the team in boxing out and crashing the defensive glass (at the expense of transition defense, though) to help Mason out. Otherwise, it is a very vulnerable weakness in an otherwise imposing title contender.

You lost me w/ the Spotify reference, but good write-up overall.

How many of their offensive rebounds were after halftime? I feel like it wasn't as much, though certainly it was some. We're not going to stop challenging shots at the expense of boxing out, so the solution won't be as simple as boxing out, either. Marshall will help in that he'll give Mason and Ryan freedom to play more aggressively, but I think the biggest thing is limiting penetration so that help defense isn't forced to choose as often. Also, our guard's rebounding #s, particularly Quinn's, have been pretty good, relative to what you'd expect from undersized or inexperienced backcourt players. That may be a sign of how we're making it less of a problem than it could be.

I don't think we need multiple people contesting the shot though. Once last night Mason came from his rebounding position to try and block a shot that the OSU player was forced to put up with a fadeaway because of the primary defender. The shot was missed and Mason was in no way capable of making a play for the rebound.

Quinn Cook has outplayed a 1st team AA point guard (Siva) and a 2nd team AA point guard (Craft).

It's not unreasonable think, in this exceptionally poor season for point guards in college basketball, Quinn Cook is an elite point guard in the country right now and will probably be the best point guard in the country in a few months.

Good thing he's 5'10".

PG Quinn Cook defensive rebounding = 10.6% (GREAT!)
SG Seth Curry defensive rebounding = 5.8% (not good)
SF Rasheed Sulaimon defensive rebounding = 11.2% (OK!)
PF Ryan Kelly defensive rebounding = 10.9% (sigh)

Fix this. Offensive rebounding will probably never get better, but defensive rebounding needs to.

Limiting penetration and the rotation guy after Mason or Ryan comes to help needs to put a body on somebody and box out better(the only person good at this is TT). This was a tough game for Ryan to be effective as a rebounder because Thomas floats on the perimeter (similar to Ryan on the other side of the ball) and pretty much staying glued to him all night.

Great win.

Even better considering Curry's off night.

Kelly's defense has been such a pleasant surprise.

Cook runs the fast break pretty well.

I am really high on this team. we totally outplayed them in the second half, while getting nothing from Seth. shows that this team can beat you in different ways. Ryan Kelly still has occasional plays that make me want to break my tv, but loving how well the top 5 are playing overall.

Biggest takeaways for me:

We won without Seth Curry.

Cook has shown he can run the offensive against any defensive guard in the country.

We have beaten the #2, #3, and #4 teams in the space of a couple weeks. I don't know about you, but OSU looked like the best of all of those teams.

Things that can stop us from winning a national title:

Seth's leg

No bench scoring

Rebounding (somewhat related to having no bench, and playing three guards as a result)

aiw said:
Dattier said:
How many of their offensive rebounds were after halftime?

6, I believe

We were much better on the glass in the second half, but they all seemed to be letting us have more defensive rebounds in favor of getting back on defense. Not sure why that was.

David Cutcliffe @DavidCutcliffe Not a fan of those court jesters on the Duke bench 2nite!! Never on my sideline! K needs 2 b n control of his assistants!!

Also, I thought Matta's decision to foul with 24 seconds left only down two was strange. I would have at least tried to press and get a turnover or 10 second call.

rome8180 said:
aiw said:
Dattier said:
How many of their offensive rebounds were after halftime?

6, I believe

We were much better on the glass in the second half, but they all seemed to be letting us have more defensive rebounds in favor of getting back on defense. Not sure why that was.
They had 7 offensive boards in the second half (as many as we had all game) but rome hits on the point that really changed the rebounding. They started favoring transition defense and instead of sending 3 or 4 guys to the boards, they just sent 2. I think Matta realized they could hold their own on the boards with just Thomas and Ravenel and throw the other three back to prevent easy leak outs.

One other thing that I would mention (probably someone said it before) is that the play of QC and esp. MP, has to help with recruiting. tougher to say we don't develop big men, and while no one has questioned K's point guard bonafides, QC's development has been a positive.

rome8180 said:
Also, I thought Matta's decision to foul with 24 seconds left only down two was strange. I would have at least tried to press and get a turnover or 10 second call.

In all fairness, we had missed the front-end of 3 one-and-ones at that point. I realize we were in the double bonus, but, if we make 1 of 2 again, they can conceivably tie, while having time to run a real play.

He's way ahead of Nolan at this point. Way ahead. He's almost as far ahead of Nolan as Alex is behind Singler.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom