Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Sounds like we're probably going to get him, but who is he?

0228_NCSP_CSNSEMIS6_t607.JPG

To be honest, I have no idea about his game. So i'll just list the duke shooting guard/wing prototypes and someone tell me which one he is:

1) Shooter who is of limited height and quickness and probably isn't a good defender.
2) Shooter who is taller, but limited handle and can't drive the ball, and is probably a horrible defender
3) really athletic non-shooter with questionable basketball IQ
4) taller, can drive the ball, but doesn't finish very well and is an average defender and shooter at best

Probably all leaving:

Dawkins
Hairston
Thornton
Zafirovsky/Black
Sulaimon
Parker

So 6 open spots?

Offered:

PG T.Jones
SG G.Allen, D.Booker
SF J.Winslow, S.Johnson
PF T.Lyles, K.Looney
C J.Okafor

8 offers for 6 spots, with Lyles not happening and Winslow/Johnson probably not going to the same school. There aren't a lot of 3+ year players in this group, so a guy like Allen helps balance the classes out eventually.

Those are some serious tights he's wearing.

Hopefully he really does have an ankle injury that is affecting him. It all sounded great until last weekend, when it started sounding terrible. The subbing-out-for-defense down the stretch in a HS AAU game is especially depressing.

I worry that he has the same jumps-high-but-feet-are-too-abnormally-large-to-move-them-quickly disease as Dawkins.

I could see him being somewhere between Dre and Curry physically. He has great vert and he's listed 6'4 but probably a but shorter. His quickness and defense are already concerns according to some, but that seems to be in line with K's recruiting strategy for guards the last few years.

The white Daniel Ewing is what TDD concluded on.

This was after one mix tape.

Change "probably going to get him" to something much more definitive.

TMFNpdG.png

Looking at the recruiting rankings and reading what others have been saying about his game, he seems like a Pocius floor and Nolan ceiling to me, with actual results probably falling closer to his floor than his ceiling.

Where does he play his high school ball? Apparently Sweden, from the looks of it.

Someone on TDD (accurately) pointed out that he looks like Joffrey from Game of Thrones. All indications are that he's a cocky SOB. I'm expecting him to get punched in the mouth by an opposing fan during the court rush when Duke loses its first conference game in 2015. Him and Cook in the same backcourt would be fun.

So he committed. I'm almost getting bored with how easy it is for us to recruit shooting guards. There's never any drama. 3rd straight year that we get an early commitment from a highly ranked shooting guard.

So can we agree that it's okay to be part of the apprehensive crowd with this.

Rollins said:
So can we agree that it's okay to be part of the apprehensive crowd with this.

Yea. Who knows though. He might end up being a stud. At the very least, he'll probably make some cool dunks.

best4heisman said:
So he committed. I'm almost getting bored with how easy it is for us to recruit shooting guards. There's never any drama. 3rd straight year that we get an early commitment from a highly ranked shooting guard.

If we recruited every position this well, TDD would never have anything to complain about again.

Assuming Allen can play some point guard, this fixes the big TIERS issue if Tyus Jones is one and done or doesn't come to Duke at all (Allen can probably be an adequate 5-10-minute backup point guard as a freshman/sophomore, and Duke can get a one and done type to start after Cook, with Allen possibly developing into a starter as a junior/senior).

He doesn't have to be good, really. In fact just one of Jones/Semi/Allen has to be good. And if he's not very good we'll just get a stud in 2015 to replace him.

That being said, given our projected depth at the spot (yes I think Sulaimon comes back for his junior year), I wish we had rode things out with Winslow and Vaughn a little longer.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back