Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Mo Bamba

deepdarkblue said:
AxeS24 said:
rome8180 said:
From everything I've read from insiders including Slater, we've been on the outside looking in since Bamba's recruitment started getting handled by his brother.

Also, we didn't exactly handle things well with his AAU coach. Backed off Gak, didn't really pursue Randolph, and did whatever the **** we did with Green. (BTW, even if we land Duval, I think we lost out on that one. But that's a different discussion.)

I have never seen Slater say we are on the outside looking in. He has said things like "nobody knows right now" and "wait and see" and "hopefully Duke steps it up with Duval and Bamba."

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I wouldn't be shocked with Duke or Kentucky. I would be shocked with Texas or Michigan.

For full disclosure, Mo is my favorite recruit in the cycle, and it isn't close.

I take it you aren't a 247 VIP subscriber.

I actually am. Please copy/paste where Slater has ever said we are on the outside looking in.

I have no idea why this board is so pessimistic. Jerry Meyer, a guy certainly not known for Duke puffery, even said on November 30th that Bamba is a toss up between Duke and Kentucky.

Texas and Michigan are extremely strong schools and are more prestigious than Duke in many areas academically. If Bamba wanted to study just about any sort of engineering, for example, Michigan shits all over Duke and without looking anything up, I'd guess Texas does as well. Likewise if Bamba wanted to dabble in classical cello playing or something.

However, if Bamba were interested only in the general layman prestige of the undergraduate degree because he envisions himself pursuing a professional or graduate degree afterward, ultimately becoming a renowned neurosurgeon, Supreme Court Justice or rocket scientist, then Duke probably wins out. Then again, an African(-American?) who plays in the NBA for a few years would have to put together an impossibly terrible combination of GPA and standardized test scores to be rejected by the best medical, law or Ph.D. program.

This a silly discussion.

For one thing, I'm not going to post Slater quotes onto this public board. For another, Jerry Meyer is a lazy alcoholic who is terrible at his job. Check out some of his recruiting rankings if you want to get a sense of just how often he goes to events.

I'll see what I can find from Slater to paraphrase. It's been a slide from very optimistic to skeptical since the summer.

I have felt for sometime (and continue to feel) that Bamba is not coming to Duke. Could change, but right now, I doubt it.

This board is irrationally negative.

1. We have the best coach of all-time
2. We are on a torrid recruiting run
3. Likely going to win a national title this year
4. Have proven we are going for it again next year with the Duval offer
5. Will eventually have Trent, Wendell, Duval, and Knox in Bamba's ear
6. We have a gaping hole at center next year while UK has Nick Richards and other bigs (no, Chase Jeter is not a viable option on a team that wants to contend)
7. Bamba is a kid who values academics (and, yes, Duke is more prestigious as a whole than Texas or Michigan and especially Kentucky)

This is my last post until Bamba commits to Duke.

Let's go win this natty!

We're actually very rationally negative

Oh, and since that's your last post, bye! Nice meeting you.

AxeS24 said:

6. We have a gaping hole at center next year while UK has Nick Richards and other bigs (no, Chase Jeter is not a viable option on a team that wants to contend)
7. Bamba is a kid who values academics (and, yes, Duke is more prestigious as a whole than Texas or Michigan and especially Kentucky)

Let's go win this natty!

Duke is going to land every 5* ever because all 18 year olds think rationally

When we think someone is a lock or lean to Duke, we say so. You won't find any negative posts about Carter pre-commitment, for example. We just don't happen to think Duke has a very good shot with Bamba atm. And that's based on at least as much evidence as you have provided.

Not trying to parrot other posts, but offering an extreme outsider perspective: Michigan is considered a great school by most Canadians I know.

torontoduke said:
Not trying to parrot other posts, but offering an extreme outsider perspective: Michigan is considered a great school by most Canadians I know.

They also think Molson is great.

This board was positive about Trent and Carter to the point of simply assuming they were coming to Duke for the past several months, without putting much thought or hope into it. There are guys this board treats as 50/50 recruits as well, like Looney and Bolden. The negativity about Bamba is probably based on rational things.

AxeS24 said:

Let's go win this natty!

By any chance, is your name Chad Lykins?

How likely are we to have a healthy roster for the title we are likely winning this year?

We're more likely to be healthy this year than we are to have Mo Bamba next year.

It seems like the Bamba ship has sailed. If we can land Knox and Duval it will make the loss of Bamba not hurt as much.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back