Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

I think part of my intrigue for next season is that I have no idea what to expect. This is not a typical Duke team. We have one great perimeter scorer that can rain in 3's, with a blazing fast ultra athletic point guard that can't shoot, a shooting guard who shoots on high volume, two very good and athletic big men that are very good rebounders but can't space out to the 3pt line, a big and athletic power forward off of the bench, and a sophomore center who was horrible last season and is a terrible rebounder. Think a UNC big man at Duke, but, is reportedly having an excellent off-season.

I don't know what this is going to look like but the unknown has me pretty excited.

Agreed. Very different team ahead. Biggest question is can/will K adapt and will the pieces fit? I think Grayson is going to have a ACCPOY-like year and make it all work

In the McD's competition he did well and looked to have very good form. I'd suspect that in HS he was the go to guy and took lower percentage shots out of necessity where at Duke this upcoming season I'd bet he will likely be the main guy people leave open. Winslow was a 30% shooter with 596 attempts and at Duke he was a 42% shooter. Now I don't think Trent will shoot 42% but I think he's a better shooter than Winslow and will be in the 35-38 range this year.

My guesses:

Allen 40% 200+ attempts
Tucker 38%-70 attempts
Trent 36%-120 attempts
Duval 30%-100 attempts
Bagley 30%-35 attempts

Is Tucker really projected to play meaningful minutes?

I think his plus shooting (if he can bring it consistently) will warrant 10 to 15 min a game. Devils need that shooting.

Srsly people. Jack Fucking White.

TS% 764
eFG% 722
FTr of 1.1111
der reb rate of 19.7
Ortg 126
71.4 2 pf fg %
50.0 3 pt fg%

Just get used to it. He will be playing ahead of Tucker, and he will probably start ahead of Trent at some point.

Srsly people. Jack Fucking White.

TS% 764
eFG% 722
FTr of 1.1111
der reb rate of 19.7
Ortg 126
71.4 2 pf fg %
50.0 3 pt fg%

Just get used to it. He will be playing ahead of Tucker, and he will probably start ahead of Trent at some point.
I'm assuming that this doesn't even count in the exhibition games, which would only bump up the efficiency since he made like every three he took.

Everyone loves Vrank and JMD, myself included, because of their obvious skill sets and gaudy advanced stats, yet everyone ignores Jack White who has incredible advanced stats and doesn't throw the ball out of bounds every time he touches it.

He is such a K player. I will be shocked if he isn't playing this season. He can fucking shoot the hell out of the ball, and he rebounds and plays D. He is all the things missing from this team that everyone is bitching about.

3 pointers are a big issue, but I think two equally big issues are free throws and basketball IQ.

We lost our two most reliable high-volume FT shooters in Kennard and Tatum. Allen had been shaky from the line by year-end and I'm not sure playing 38 minutes per game is going to help him improve. The freshman bigs seem like they could be decent for their positions but Duval is like a 55% free throw shooter. He may be unplayable when Duke has a small lead late in the game. I cant find any recent stats re: Trent but there was some article written in a Minnesota paper in 2016 saying he was an 82 percent FT shooter, so some solace in that. I think on balance Duke could be bottom third of the country. I think they'll be worse at FTs than threes by national ranking.

We also lost our two smartest players (in my view)- Jefferson and Kennard. We are going to start 4 freshmen and Allen, who I don't consider a high IQ guy. Our dumbest team was 2014 and I think our decision-making is going to be a big issue again. Of the freshmen, Carter seems like the most intelligent player. I think Duval and Trent will frustrate us.

Carter is a good to great FT shooter for a big. I worry about Bagley's FTs.

I agree that this is going to be a dumb team overall, and probably one with a leadership void. I still think the results will be roughly equivalent to last year or 15-16 just due to outathleting people. Not that those results were anything to get excited about.

Latest podcast talking about Marvin Bagley's fit with Duke next year

Chat users

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom