Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Kevin Knox

The kiss of death.

Or of life, depending on whether you want to land him.

Is there a non zero chance that Knox could play the 3 next to Carter and Bolden? If Jackson stays in the draft or if we miss on Duval then we could really use someone who could split time at the 3/4 effectively.

The offense in a lineup like that would terrible. And K doesn't emphasize rebounding and rim protection enough to offset it (not that Bolden can rebound anyway).

Knox could play the 3. He has improved his long range shooting. He went 7-7 from 3 in front of Roy Williams.

In case anyone here prefers to see sample sizes larger than one game, here are some highlights from his DraftExpress EYBL writeup from a few weeks ago:

STRENGTHS

Nice physical profile for a combo forward at 6' 9 with a 6' 11.5 wingspan and 8' 10 standing reach - measurements good enough to play the four in the NBA. Wide shoulders that are filling out nicely. Huge feet. Looks like he still may not be completely done growing.

Although it hasn't translated to game play Knox's jumper is slightly improved from a mechanical standpoint. Gets great rotation. Can make shots with time and space when he stays consistent and focused with his mechanics. Healthy arc.

Has the fluidity to attack a closeout in space, best when at the four.

Excellent rebounding potential thanks to his quick leaping and tools - lifetime 11.0 boards per 40 minutes.

WEAKNESSES

Feel is very shaky in terms of shot selection and decision making. 3.8 turnovers per 40 minutes in 39 EYBL games.

Still trying to prove that he's a wing by hoisting up jumpers early in the clock or trying to create off the dribble. Much more effective if he'll accept the role as an energetic, athlete/defender while the rest of his game develops organically.

High handle. Not going to create or play out of ball screens. Best at the four when he can attack via straight line drives in space.

Very loose, inconsistent shooting mechanics. Balance comes and goes. Brings the ball down to his shoulder right before going into his release. Has good wrist action and rotation but is far too loose. Lifetime 25.8 3P% on 89 attempts.

OUTLOOK

Knox underwhelmed the majority of the week in Portland as his development has stalled a bit since we first began evaluating him at the age of 15. While he shows an improved skill set for brief stretches, he's too focused on proving that he can play the three rather than making an impact by using his tools, explosiveness and energy. If he can find a way to buy into defending multiple positions, moving off the ball, crashing the glass, running the floor, and playing as more of a modern four man (which is very much the trend in today's NBA) he's far more interesting as an NBA prospect. He'll have to continue to stick to his strengths while finding a way to make spot-up 3s consistently to validate his current standing as a prospect. Knox's skill-set is undoubtedly best suited at the 4 at the NCAA level (even if he insists on being recruited as a 3), but if he's still concerned with developing into a wing his development and overall intrigue as a prospect will continue to take a hit.

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Knox-90053/

So he has the tools to be Atlanta Josh Smith and he wants to be Detroit Josh Smith.

Why is he an NBA talent again? Besides the obvious scenario in which if he were to attend UNC he'd be a 3-4 year player, what about his game screams "1st round"? 6'9 good rebounder? Eehhhh.

STRENGTHS: Large. Wide. Big feet. Rebounding at the 4 (won't play the 4 @ Duke)

WEAKNESSES: Ball Handling. Shooting. Shot selection. Decision making.

OUTLOOK: Team cancer.

Is his dad a delusional, controlling asshole, by any chance? Seems like K has been absolutely drawn to recruits of meddling parents lately.

So Knox is basically Javin, only Javin will do all the shit a modern 4 needs to do.

I actually think he's very likely to play the 4 at Duke. All the strengths will be bigger strengths at the 4 and the weaknesses less of a liability.

I agree that he will play the 4 at Duke, however, Duke's 4's are supposed t0 make 3's.

AxeS24 said:
Knox could play the 3. He has improved his long range shooting. He went 7-7 from 3 in front of Roy Williams.

And as we all know, all you have to do to play on the perimeter is make a 3

rome8180 said:
I actually think he's very likely to play the 4 at Duke. All the strengths will be bigger strengths at the 4 and the weaknesses less of a liability.

Which sets us up nicely for another disgruntled, delusional father/son combo who blame Duke for not playing Knox at the 3, even though every NBA scout who sees him says "He's a 4".

Even if he's a pro 3 (I think he may have to be unless he gets bigger), he's not going to lose draft status or pro small forward skills by playing the stretch 4 at Duke, a la Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Justise Winslow, Brandon Ingram, or Jayson Tatum. Hell, even Dahntay started some at 4.

And yeah, I haven't seen anything that makes me think he'd be a good small forward in college next year. I think Gary Trent will do everything better for that position, despite some bad shooting nights I'm sure.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom